Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Practicing women?  (Read 7045 times)

caryatid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing women?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
Quote from: bettalove;30108
The testosterone cloud is overwhelming.

I feel the same way....

We are here! I promise! We are just a little harder to find...
Even more absent than women are the children!  Where the heck are all the kids??

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:45 am »
Quote from: caryatid;39562
I feel the same way....

We are here! I promise! We are just a little harder to find...
Even more absent than women are the children!  Where the heck are all the kids??

Well... As I previously said  in this thread:

Over half of the members of my kindred are women. Maybe you have just been to the wrong places?

And when talking about kids; there are a good deal of them in the local/national groups that I partake in, and it´s not uncommon for them to be at the religious cermonies and preparations. Of cause one woulden´t expect to find many kids on the online, heathen forums...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:51:47 am by hlewagastir »

caryatid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:05:56 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;39571
Well... As I previously said  in this thread:

And when talking about kids; there are a good deal of them in the local/national groups that I partake in, and it´s not uncommon for them to be at the religious cermonies and preparations. Of cause one woulden´t expect to find many kids on the online, heathen forums...

*heh*  Maybe your kindred is the odd one. :) Or maybe it is a matter of location.

I have been in (or at least regularly visited) four kindreds in different parts of the country. I am always outnumbered. If there is a 50/50 split of the people attending (which is rare)- some of the women are always girlfriends or wives who are there to support their SOs, but do not follow the faith.

As for kids, many times, it is a similar situation- they are either absent, or not being raised heathen.

But as I said, this is simply one heathen woman's observations.

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 01:11:14 am »
After being an unaffiliated witch for a number of years, I recently slid into Asatru like putting on a favorite pair of old jeans. In my exploring, my biggest reservation has been with the groups I've found. They all seem to have the boys club mentality. I feel silly asking this, but were are the women? The testosterone cloud is overwhelming.

I've experienced the same thing. It's very strange. All of my Pagan influences as a child were female (from my mom as a mentor, to Goddess worship). Today, most of my spirituality has to do with the Divine Feminine. I attend a women's college, and our Pagan group is called Daughters of Gaia. It's only women, and we worship the Divine Feminine. It's so weird (and kind of disheartening) to find that these groups are male-dominated elsewhere. Also, just to clarify - male domination doesn't necessarily have to do with the number of men who are present. Just one male presence can change everything. Males do not have to be numerous in order to dominate a space. Just because there's an equal number of men and women in a group doesn't mean that there is gender equality.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 03:09:17 am »
Quote from: Bear-craft;129140
It's so weird (and kind of disheartening) to find that these groups are male-dominated elsewhere.

You might want to check out the rest of the thread wherein there was some conflating of Asatru with other forms of paganism...something I fear you may be doing here.

Brina

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:32 am »
It's only women, and we worship the Divine Feminine. It's so weird (and kind of disheartening) to find that these groups are male-dominated elsewhere.

Why would it be weird or disheartening? Men can have religion too.

Just because there's an equal number of men and women in a group doesn't mean that there is gender equality.

I feel like you're talking less about gender here and more about personality. People are more than their gender, whatever that may be. Not everyone will fit into your boxes. IMO, people should seek a balance within themselves.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:52 pm »
I've experienced the same thing. It's very strange. All of my Pagan influences as a child were female (from my mom as a mentor, to Goddess worship). Today, most of my spirituality has to do with the Divine Feminine. I attend a women's college, and our Pagan group is called Daughters of Gaia. It's only women, and we worship the Divine Feminine. It's so weird (and kind of disheartening) to find that these groups are male-dominated elsewhere. Also, just to clarify - male domination doesn't necessarily have to do with the number of men who are present. Just one male presence can change everything. Males do not have to be numerous in order to dominate a space. Just because there's an equal number of men and women in a group doesn't mean that there is gender equality.

Odd that you would mention you belong to an all woman's group, then mention you find it disheartening that there are groups dominated by men, and then go on to complain about gender equality. I'm sure there is some justification for that but really you just talked in a big circle there.

I would also point out that just one female presence can change everything as well. Depends on that persons personality, male or female, and it doesn't mean that its a bad thing either.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 02:06:22 pm »
I've experienced the same thing. It's very strange. All of my Pagan influences as a child were female (from my mom as a mentor, to Goddess worship).

Today, most of my spirituality has to do with the Divine Feminine. I attend a women's college, and our Pagan group is called Daughters of Gaia. It's only women, and we worship the Divine Feminine.

This is the Asatru and Heathenry SIG, meaning that this is the section focused on the germanic and Norse gods and goddesses. I think you viewing mixing up Asatru with another form of paganism.

It's so weird (and kind of disheartening) to find that these groups are male-dominated elsewhere. Also, just to clarify - male domination doesn't necessarily have to do with the number of men who are present. Just one male presence can change everything. Males do not have to be numerous in order to dominate a space. Just because there's an equal number of men and women in a group doesn't mean that there is gender equality.

Men can have faith in any form of paganism just as much as women can have faith in any form of paganism. Also one female can change things just as much as any male. People are after all more then just their gender after all. It is about personalities, some people click with others and some do not.

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:10 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;129173
Why would it be weird or disheartening? Men can have religion too.

Oh, totally! I wasn't trying to imply that they couldn't! I guess I was just trying to say that it was a bit of a culture shock for me, going from my insular witchy community to "real world" pagan communities where men are so present.

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 06:17:44 pm »
Quote from: herkles;129212
This is the Asatru and Heathenry SIG, meaning that this is the section focused on the germanic and Norse gods and goddesses. I think you viewing mixing up Asatru with another form of paganism.

Oh gosh, you're right. Sorry everyone! I did not realize that I was posting in a specific SIG. I found this thread in the "related threads" thingy at the bottom of another thread I was looking at and didn't pay attention to which forum it was linked to. My apologies for stirring things up and if I made anyone feel bad.
*slinks back into corner*
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:19:13 pm by Bear-craft »

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 06:28:13 pm »
Quote from: Bear-craft;129237
Oh, totally! I wasn't trying to imply that they couldn't! I guess I was just trying to say that it was a bit of a culture shock for me, going from my insular witchy community to "real world" pagan communities where men are so present.

my belief is simple, both men and women, should be present in religious communities. this is what equality is about making sure that we both are equal, and can participate together. :)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 06:37:58 pm »
Quote from: Bear-craft;129237

No worries! Just try to be aware of what you're actually community, regardless of what you "mean" to say.

I've been going through some culture shock lately myself, I went from teaching at a Hispanic, urban school last year to a very white, suburban school this year... it's been verrry interesting! :)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

LeighArcher

• View Profile
    • http://hawkandlion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 02:36:01 am »
After being an unaffiliated witch for a number of years, I recently slid into Asatru like putting on a favorite pair of old jeans. In my exploring, my biggest reservation has been with the groups I've found. They all seem to have the boys club mentality. I feel silly asking this, but were are the women? The testosterone cloud is overwhelming.

The sad thing is that generally (in my experience at least), the men tend to drown out the women, at least at first.  If you actually ask "hey, where are all the women?" then women will come out of the woodwork because yeah, we do exist.  It just seems sometimes like men either make the most noise, or have more people listening to them.
"I am a warrior, but I\'m a girl, too."

Blog link: http://dustbones.wordpress.com/

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 02:38:56 am »
Quote from: Bear-craft;129238
Oh gosh, you're right. Sorry everyone! I did not realize that I was posting in a specific SIG.

I could flog for a while, but I'm SO TIRED.  Plus bursitis.  ;)

Brina

Tags: