collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 23 September 2020: $539 donated. Only $171 more need! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg is dead, and perhaps so is the U.S. by anubisa
[Today at 01:28:57 am]

Re: Disconnection by Jenett
[Yesterday at 10:10:52 pm]

Re: Disconnection by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 06:47:08 pm]

Re: Autumn/September equinox plans (planning ahead) by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 06:41:44 pm]

Re: Disconnection by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 04:14:46 pm]

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Patricia Lafayllve  (Read 1293 times)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Patricia Lafayllve
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:53:33 pm »
Just wondering how she's generally regarded as an author?  I've had her book Freyja, Lady, Vanadis: An Introduction to the Goddess recommended to me as a great resource on Freyja, but the recommender isn't of a very scholarly bent and couldn't tell me how reliable or well-cited it might be.  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Re: Patricia Lafayllve
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:46:15 am »
Quote from: Aiwelin;140945
Just wondering how she's generally regarded as an author?  I've had her book Freyja, Lady, Vanadis: An Introduction to the Goddess recommended to me as a great resource on Freyja, but the recommender isn't of a very scholarly bent and couldn't tell me how reliable or well-cited it might be.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Honestly I am not sure, I can't recall ever actually reading anything of hers. A quick search shows that she is a long time member of the Troth (whcih could be good or bad depending on one's opinion of that org). I'd have to actually read something of hers to get an honest opinion. I DO hope she is good, as we desperately need more good modern authors to counterweigh the rest of the utter excrement that Llewellyn publishes.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:52 am »
Quote from: bobthesane;141109
Honestly I am not sure, I can't recall ever actually reading anything of hers. A quick search shows that she is a long time member of the Troth (whcih could be good or bad depending on one's opinion of that org). I'd have to actually read something of hers to get an honest opinion. I DO hope she is good, as we desperately need more good modern authors to counterweigh the rest of the utter excrement that Llewellyn publishes.

I remember her being a guest on  Raven Radio awhile back.

ETA: I haven't read the book ever, but I had the impression that she was pretty down to earth and not newage-y at all.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:03:23 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:56:46 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;141109

Have you ever given any thought to doing some writing Bob?
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:05:30 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;141434

ETA: I haven't read the book ever, but I had the impression that she was pretty down to earth and not newage-y at all.

Thanks!  That's enough for me to give her a chance :)
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;141434

LOL well that's embarrassing for me :)

Must have been an episode I wasn't on. I will have to go back through the old podcasts and see if I can find it.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:15 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;141477
Have you ever given any thought to doing some writing Bob?

Oh gods no. The more I learn, the more I learn what I have yet to learn, if that makes sense. I in no way am qualified to speak for anyone other than myself. I will happily state my opinions, but those shouldn't carry too much weight with anyone not in my local community with whom I have a reciprocal relationship.

Plus with the current changing focus in modern practice towards local heathenry rather than large regional or national orgs, I question how many actual authors we need. I mean, most of what we need to learn can be had from reading primary and secondary sources, filling in the blanks with knowledgeable opinion based on solid research and evidence.

For that, you don't need me :)

A few people who are more learned than I should suffice just fine, not droves of half-learned (or much worse) people spouting drivel that flies in the face of source material, anthropology, archeology, and common sense.

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:28:08 pm »
Quote from: Aiwelin;140945

I have read the book and found it worthwhile.  It was rather short, but there isn't as much info on the goddess out there as compared to, say, Odin or Thor.  

When she introduces UPG (hers or someone else's) she labels it as such, which I think is a baseline requirement for me to respect a modern author. It was actually the discussions of UPG I found helpful.  

For instance, what does Freyja do with her half of the slain, as she is not known to fight at Ragnarok?  According to this book, some people believe she uses them to guard the seeds of life that will regenerate after Ragnarok.  I thought that was a very interesting view.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »
Quote from: hraefngar;150120

For instance, what does Freyja do with her half of the slain, as she is not known to fight at Ragnarok?  According to this book, some people believe she uses them to guard the seeds of life that will regenerate after Ragnarok.  I thought that was a very interesting view.

Thats an interesting theory! I've had this idea for awhile that the half she takes from the battlefield are the civilian casualties, such as the women and children. I can definitely see them as also becoming guardians of life.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: