collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Saxon Resources  (Read 637 times)

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Saxon Resources
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »
Looking for some good resources on Saxon Gods, culture, mythology. I am reading Travels Through Middle Earth at the moment, but that as far as I have gotten. Just seeing if anyone knows any good books, podcast, websites, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Hyacinth Belle

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • *
  • Posts: 435
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:48:40 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;145986
Looking for some good resources on Saxon Gods, culture, mythology. I am reading Travels Through Middle Earth at the moment, but that as far as I have gotten. Just seeing if anyone knows any good books, podcast, websites, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 
If you aren't already, try looking up Theodism. That is the term for Anglo-Saxon heathenry.

Also, be sure to look at the Recommended Resources thread stickied at the top of the SIG.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:07:57 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;146071
If you aren't already, try looking up Theodism. That is the term for Anglo-Saxon heathenry.

Also, be sure to look at the Recommended Resources thread stickied at the top of the SIG.
Thanks for the help!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Geroth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:45:08 am »
Quote from: Cryfder;145986
Looking for some good resources on Saxon Gods, culture, mythology. I am reading Travels Through Middle Earth at the moment, but that as far as I have gotten. Just seeing if anyone knows any good books, podcast, websites, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


I've been a Saxon Pagan for a while (also interested in Celtic deities as well). Unfortunately there is little information out there about Anglo-Saxon Heathenry. There is Theodism, which is the reconstructionist path of Saxon Paganism and is very different from Norse Heathenry. Theodism attempts to reconstruct aspects of pre-Christian Germanic social order within their theods, it is a lifestyle as well as a religion. I personally am not interested in Theodism but I take elements from their practices.

Wednesbury Shrine is a Theodist website that has some excellent information on Anglo-Saxon history, culture and religion. http://www.englatheod.org/theodish.htm

In terms of books, The Lost Gods of England by Brian Branston has some great historical information but it is a hard book to find, I believe it has been out of print for some time.

Path to the Gods: Anglo-Saxon Paganism for Beginners by Swain Wodening contains some excellent information. It goes a little more in depth with history and Anglo-Saxon culture than Travels Through Middle Earth. Also gives information on the gods and simple rites. Swain Wodening has several other books on Anglo-Saxon Paganism as well that you might be interested in looking at.

Alaric Albertsson's other book, Wyrdworking: The Path of a Saxon Sorcerer is great if you wish to learn about Anglo-Saxon runes and some magickal elements.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Cabal

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 1344
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:17:32 am »
Quote from: Geroth;146172
I've been a Saxon Pagan for a while (also interested in Celtic deities as well). Unfortunately there is little information out there about Anglo-Saxon Heathenry. There is Theodism, which is the reconstructionist path of Saxon Paganism and is very different from Norse Heathenry. Theodism attempts to reconstruct aspects of pre-Christian Germanic social order within their theods, it is a lifestyle as well as a religion. I personally am not interested in Theodism but I take elements from their practices.

Wednesbury Shrine is a Theodist website that has some excellent information on Anglo-Saxon history, culture and religion. http://www.englatheod.org/theodish.htm

In terms of books, The Lost Gods of England by Brian Branston has some great historical information but it is a hard book to find, I believe it has been out of print for some time.

Path to the Gods: Anglo-Saxon Paganism for Beginners by Swain Wodening contains some excellent information. It goes a little more in depth with history and Anglo-Saxon culture than Travels Through Middle Earth. Also gives information on the gods and simple rites. Swain Wodening has several other books on Anglo-Saxon Paganism as well that you might be interested in looking at.

Alaric Albertsson's other book, Wyrdworking: The Path of a Saxon Sorcerer is great if you wish to learn about Anglo-Saxon runes and some magickal elements.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Thank you so much for all the information. I will definitely look into all of that. And If I have questions I will not hesitate to ask you, lol. So thanks again.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Vaulkhar

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Mar 2014
  • Posts: 9
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:01:36 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;145986
Looking for some good resources on Saxon Gods, culture, mythology. I am reading Travels Through Middle Earth at the moment, but that as far as I have gotten. Just seeing if anyone knows any good books, podcast, websites, ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 

I'd like to second Geroth's suggestion about Swain Wodening. Indeed, his first book got me into heathenry purely by chance. Granted, I am not sure if it is the path for me as of yet but it certainly opened my eyes to the possibility. I am like you and still very much "on the hunt" for information.

Raven Radio podcasts (which you can get free from itunes) discusses Heathenry more broadly. But I believe that one or two of their episodes discusses Theodism and they even feature Swain Wodening as one of their guests! (I could be wrong, I'm only on the fourth podcast but they did mention  they were planning on having him on).

Geroth

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 96
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;146184
Thank you so much for all the information. I will definitely look into all of that. And If I have questions I will not hesitate to ask you, lol. So thanks again.

 
No problem whatsoever. Glad to help. :)

hraefngar

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jun 2014
  • Posts: 79
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Saxon Resources
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:10:19 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;145986
Looking for some good resources on Saxon Gods, culture, mythology. .

 
I enjoyed the two Albertsson books that people mentioned, even if I think some of the information here and there might have been a little suspect.

The ultimate resource, I feel, is anything written by Stephen Pollington.  He is a dry scholarly type, but you can be sure anything he writes is academically sound.  

Rudiments of Runelone is a cheap, short and no nonsense introduction to the runes and what can be academically known about them.  

Mead Hall  is a look at the the central role that said building played in the culture of the Old English.  It puts some of those passages of Beowulf in sharp context.

Elder Gods goes for over $50, but is an exhaustive look at the deities and wights of the Old English.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
5709 Views
Last post September 15, 2011, 11:35:19 pm
by Asch
5 Replies
4673 Views
Last post August 30, 2011, 04:15:55 pm
by Daylight
0 Replies
1739 Views
Last post September 06, 2011, 02:01:06 pm
by RandallS
2 Replies
2378 Views
Last post October 02, 2011, 06:01:13 pm
by Figment99
3 Replies
1271 Views
Last post August 28, 2012, 07:29:05 pm
by btb

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall