Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: My Runic Path  (Read 19645 times)

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Re: My Runic Path
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2016, 07:59:39 am »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199143
Please keep posting on this thread, as it is most educational for us newbies! :) :)

Just want to officially state, clearly, in general, for newbies, that NONE of this is at ALL representative of historical use of the runes. This is not a "beginner" section of TC (although you're welcome! Just not necessarily catered to as in other parts of TC.)

Check out other threads about runes, in the SIG and elsewhere, for more perspectives.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2016, 07:05:22 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;199153
Just want to officially state, clearly, in general, for newbies, that NONE of this is at ALL representative of historical use of the runes.

Totally agree HB!  I wasn't referring to the Rune rights  or other stuff the OP posted, it was more an expression of education on how many people have different paths.

Sorry; I should of been more clear. :)
~Son of the Norse

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199174
Totally agree HB!  I wasn't referring to the Rune rights  or other stuff the OP posted, it was more an expression of education on how many people have different paths.

Sorry; I should of been more clear. :)
No worries!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
  • Religion: Heathen
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2016, 05:30:08 am »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199174
Totally agree HB!  I wasn't referring to the Rune rights  or other stuff the OP posted, it was more an expression of education on how many people have different paths.:)

I totally agree with Hyacinth Belle as well. What I’m sharing is completely my personal experiences with the Runes. Below is a snapshot of some historical references to help eliminate any ambiguity.

Historical Rune References
  • Eddas and Sagas
  • Rune Poems
  • Archeology
  • Laws
  • Grimoires

From written sources we have the "Hávamál" (keeping it simple and being silent about what we discover 80, protection against evil 137, Óðinn discovering them 139, and how to work with them 144-164), "Skirnir’s Lay" (threatening curse 36), "Rig’s Lay" (using Runes in battle 42-44), Egil’s Saga (carving on horn 44, Nithing Pole 45, healing sick daughter 73, to carry Bodvar’s memory on Rune-stick), "Saga of the People of Vatnsdal" (Nithing Pole 33), "Gisli’s Saga" (used to compel someone from coming out of their house 34), The Saga of King Hrolf Kraki (Runes carved to tell what Bjorn’s children will inherit 20) and the Volsung Saga (Brynhild’s teachings 21, Gudrun carving on a ring as a means to warn her sons 35). Besides these we have a few references here and there about sleeping thorns and other small mentions. Take in mind there are many more references to the Runes in the Sagas and Eddas, these are just the bigger ones.

A second source is the Rune Poems. In my mind these actually give life to the Runes in that they make them relatable in a personal way. For instance, each Rune is connected with something directly related to a person’s life back in the days:

Natural Forces (hail, ice, sun, water, dawn)
Plants (pine torch, yew tree, elk sedge, birch tree)
Animals (cattle, wild ox, elk, horse)
Human Constructs (torch, game piece, gift, ancestral hall)
Actions (riding, need, day break)
Concepts (wealth, joy, need, year, humankind/humanity)
Beings (giant, ogre, demon, Odin, Tiwaz, Ing)

It was through the Rune Poems that I first started my Runic Path, specifically, Algiz’s connection with the Elk.    

A third historical source we have is archeological finds. Here we definitely find Runes carved on swords, shields, helmets, and so forth with magical connotations such as keeping the dead from rising, warnings to grave robbers such as the Skern and Skystad Runestone and Björketorp Runestone, healing, giving strength, protection, and love charms (Liestol). We also find Runes used as ownership markers, keeping tally, communications, naming things, memorials/epitaphs, prayers, notices, inheritance information, and so on (Page).

A fourth reference to historical uses of the Runes can be found in prohibitory laws. Take in mind most of these laws were written in the Christian era and so will be skewed accordingly.

The last source, while not historical in the ancient sense but still historical in the “hundreds of years ago” kind of way are the Icelandic Grimoires such as The Galdrabók and Tvaer Galdraskraedur. Some things Runes were used for is strife, sickness, death, lust, protection, and flatulence to name a few. Take in mind when Runes are referred to it was often in connection with Galdrastafire rather than individual Runes themselves.

One questionable use of the Runes is divination. The earliest reference is Tacitus’s Germania 10. The only problem with this is that he never actually describes the signs being carved.  Without more detail or archeological evidence we can only guess. Beyond that the Sagas mention casting lots but as far as I can tell the Runes are never directly connected with that either. If anyone knows an actual source that specifically connects Runes to divination I would be grateful to hear about it. Otherwise I dare say this is probably a modern adaptation as well.  

As you can see above there is no reference whatsoever to using the Runes as a cultivating tool. In my opinion that’s also a 20th-21st century creation. In a few hundred years maybe what we create today will be considered historical – I don’t know. Having said that, it’s all about what they mean to you. For me the Runes are a means to empowerment and control over my life. That includes the mind, emotions, body, energy, and spirit.

To conclude, I have read over sixty books on the Runes and I have to admit most of them are not historical by any means. I say this because so many authors either proclaim their Runic System to be authentic or they lead the reader on as if it is so. I personally do not believe there needs to be a historical precedence for our personal use of the Runes, especially when the results of our relationship with them is positive and empowering.  

I highly suggest you learn about the Runes through the Sagas, Eddas, and archaeological findings in order to gain an understanding of their historical context before creating your own system. That way you  can build on a solid foundation as you read about other people's personal experiences and beliefs. I’ve learned over the years that using another person’s system can be detrimental. And this is not always because the other person’s system is inherently bad, it’s just their energy and not our own.

I’m honored that you see me as a teacher. The truth is I don’t see myself as one. Not only because I’m resistant to such responsibility but also because I’m still trying to figure stuff out myself. What I do see myself doing is sharing my experiences, thoughts, and practices as a friend – specifically an honest one. What others do with that information is up to them. That being said, I do very much appreciate interacting with others and hearing what they have to say. And I love answering serious questions because it helps me solidify my understandings and inspires me to learn more.  

In saying, I am very thankful for your interests in my work as this very post is a direct result of our interactions.

Be Blessed Son of the Norse,

Frodi Ingsson

My References

Byock, Jesse L. The Saga of King Hrolf Kraki. London: Penguin, 1998. Print.

Byock, Jesse L. The Saga of the Volsungs: The Norse Epic of Sigurd the Dragon Slayer. Berkeley, CA: U of California, 1990. Print.

Flowers, Stephen E. The Galdraboìk: An Icelandic Grimoire. York Beach, Me.: S. Weiser, 1989. Print.

Hollander, Lee M. The Poetic Edda. Austin: U of Texas, 1962. Print.

Liestol, Aslak. "The Runes of Bergen: Voices from the Middle Ages." Minnesota History Magazine 1966: 49-58. Minnesota Historical Society. Web. 18 Nov. 2016. .

MacLeod, Mindy, and Bernard Mees. Runic Amulets and Magic Objects. Woodbridge: Boydell, 2006. Print.

Page, R. I. Runes. Berkeley, CA: U of California, 1987. Print.

Rafnsson, Magnuìs. Tvaer Galdraskraedur: Two Icelandic Books of Magic. Strandagaldur, 2009. Print.

Smiley, Bernard. The Sagas of Icelanders: A Selection. New York: Viking, 2000. Print.

Sturluson, Snorri, and Jesse L. Byock. The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology. London: Penguin, 2005. Print.

Sturluson, Snorri, Bernard Scudder. Egil's Saga. New York: Penguin, 2004. Print.

Tacitus, Cornelius, Harold Mattingly, and J. B. Rives. Agricola ; Germania. London: Penguin, 2009. Print.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2016, 05:15:24 pm »
Quote from: Froði Ingsson;199191

I’m honored that you see me as a teacher. The truth is I don’t see myself as one. Not only because I’m resistant to such responsibility but also because I’m still trying to figure stuff out myself. What I do see myself doing is sharing my experiences, thoughts, and practices as a friend – specifically an honest one. What others do with that information is up to them. That being said, I do very much appreciate interacting with others and hearing what they have to say. And I love answering serious questions because it helps me solidify my understandings and inspires me to learn more.  

In saying, I am very thankful for your interests in my work as this very post is a direct result of our interactions.

Be Blessed Son of the Norse,

Frodi Ingsson

I am very interested in your journey.  As I said above I do not say that your path is the "only path" but I find it very educational learning about your path that someday may lead me to my own.

I feel connected to you of course because of our proximity; but also because of our similar shared beliefs (or so it would seem).

My main reason for letting you know this is that your postings are not in vain.  They do hold value and your sharing has touched me in a spiritual way.  Thank you so very much.

Be blessed Frodi; always! :)
~Son of the Norse

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2016, 09:46:10 pm »
Quote from: Froði Ingsson;192899
Blessings,

My plan for this thread is to share weekly insights, experiences, and/or beliefs arising from my Runic Journey. It’s my hope that in sharing it will start a dialog that will expand and deepen our knowledge of the Runes from the Pathworking perspective. Any thoughts or question you might have are welcome.

Be Blessed,
Frodi Ingsson

I'm still working with Thurisaz,
specifically cultivating willpower.

One thing I've found helpful in strengthening my will is meditation. Meditation being an exercise of passive control. We are letting go while being fully aware. Sensations, memories, thoughts, visions, insights, and understandings arise without dominating our attention. We rest within that spaciousness of being without regret or limitation.

Fear
Desire
Anger
Self-aggrandizement
and a million other things ripple our minds,
ensnaring our attention/energy
and controlling our lives.

I've walked the Yogic Path for almost twenty years; I've studied different Martial Art systems for even longer.

I say this because my Rune Yoga System is informed by that history and experience. I don't pretend to be a traditionalist, for the truth is, Yoga and Stadhas have nothing to do with the origination of the Runes. It came many centuries later in the guise of German Gymnastics and then as an interconnected Path with Indian Hatha Yoga through Spiesberger.

No matter its origination, Rune Yoga is a legitimate branch of the Runic Tree. It arises from someone's personal experience working with the Runes.

To me the Runes are living energies, and so, they manifest themselves in more ways than just letters on a stone.

Here's a video of me working with Thurisaz's moving Stadha:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVi1UB8Yjo[/video]

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »
Quote from: Froði Ingsson;199435
Blessings,

My plan for this thread is to share insights, experiences, and/or beliefs arising from my Runic Journey. It’s my hope that in sharing it will start a dialog that will expand and deepen our knowledge of the Runes from the Pathworking perspective. Any thoughts or question you might have are welcome.

Be Blessed,
Frodi Ingsson

It's been a while.

Things have definitely started moving in my life.

Right now we are in the process of buying six acres with a beautiful house and there are some hang-ups which I'm working on. One thing I'm doing is this Runic Ritual with Thurisaz and Tiwaz.

I posted images of altar and notebook here: http://www.sohmpublishing.com/index.php/blog/runes/459-thurisaz-and-tiwaz-ritual

My Altar:
Wooden cup
White candle
Tibetan bell
Incense
Amethyst crystal
Tiwaz sword
Silver
Quartz crystal
Shell my wife received from a California beach
Sage, Lavender, and Juniper for burning

I get the fact that using the bell and sage are appropriations of other cultures, but my Wyrd has connected me to both of these Traditions. I've learned from Tibetan Yogis and lived with Lakota Elders who shared their sacred ways with me.

For me being a Heathen is not about living True only to my Germanic Roots, but to Honor all my Roots: Parts of Myself.

Parts being dimensions of Self/Soul:
Body
Emotions
Mind
Memory
Energy/Breath
Spirit
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:01:46 pm by Froði Ingsson »

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2017, 07:12:46 am »
Quote from: Froði Ingsson;203213
Blessings,

My plan for this thread is to share insights, experiences, and/or beliefs arising from my Runic Journey. It’s my hope that in sharing it will start a dialog that will expand and deepen our knowledge of the Runes from the Pathworking perspective. Any thoughts or question you might have are welcome.

Be Blessed,
Frodi Ingsson

In this video [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-VYcIR0-o[/video] I capture the last few moments of collecting hail for my Hagalaz Runic Power Object. I collect hail and put it in a shot glass with the Hagalaz Rune written on the outside of the glass with a red sharpie. After the hail melts together I freeze it until I want to use it in a meditation or ritual.  

Be Blessed,
Frodi

Tags: