Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: My runes seem to be not working, in fact they seem to be doing the opposite.  (Read 4184 times)

DerickVonD

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
I've been using runes and they don't seem to be working well. For example I carry a good luck rune in my wallet and I seem to have been having bad luck lately. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to do offerings or what?

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: DerickVonD;18688
I've been using runes and they don't seem to be working well. For example I carry a good luck rune in my wallet and I seem to have been having bad luck lately. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to do offerings or what?

From a recon perspective luck is gained by maintaining a good relationship with the reign, the ancestors and the wights. As you suggested yourself, this is done through offerings.

Now, this is a recon SIG so we don´t do much mysticisme and magick here. You might have more luck in the Divinatory Arts section.

DerickVonD

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: hlewagastir;18693
From a recon perspective luck is gained by maintaining a good relationship with the reign, the ancestors and the wights. As you suggested yourself, this is done through offerings.

Now, this is a recon SIG so we don´t do much mysticisme and magick here. You might have more luck in the Divinatory Arts section.

I seem to be posting in all the wrong forums huh? lol. Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:52:59 am by DerickVonD »

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Quote from: DerickVonD;18696
I seem to be posting in all the wrong forums huh? lol. Thanks for the input.

No, it's fine, just know you will get more recon-type answers. :)

I would put the runes and an offering on whatever altar or dedicated space you have and leave it there overnight or maybe a day or two at most. Just my $0.02.

Are these runes you made or bought? If you haven't made runes before, I suggest it! :) You can make them from Sculpey or (what I did) paint wood rounds you buy in a the craft store. (I'd love to have cut slices of a branch, but I don't have the tools for it.)

I used to be attracted to the stone ones you can buy online, but now I really love my wood ones. Feels more authentic. I don't use them very often, however. ha.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Annan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile

Not all forms of divination work for everyone.  My dowsing rods used to work very well for me.  Now they act like they have a mind of their own.  Perhaps it's you that is not tuning in like you used to or it is time to move on to another form of divination.  

Just my two pentacles.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.  ~ Nietzsche

True happiness is fidelity to a working purpose.  ~ Helen Keller

DerickVonD

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Annan;18732
Not all forms of divination work for everyone.  My dowsing rods used to work very well for me.  Now they act like they have a mind of their own.  Perhaps it's you that is not tuning in like you used to or it is time to move on to another form of divination.  

Just my two pentacles.

I just started using them about 3 weeks ago. I printed them out and traced them with red ink, since I ran out of colored ink with my printer. I've been carrying them in my wallet.

Garm

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile

It looks like a familiar situation, something I remember running in to

You have to consider how your magic is interacting with the threads of wyrd

If you push them too much one way, they will start to push back and sometimes the recoil can be nasty

If I resort to practical magic It's when I think I think the situation has gone out of balance and just needs a little push to be straightened out again.

I catch less blowback that way
"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone.  But they have always worked for me"
---Hunter S Thompson

DerickVonD

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Garm;21168
It looks like a familiar situation, something I remember running in to

You have to consider how your magic is interacting with the threads of wyrd

If you push them too much one way, they will start to push back and sometimes the recoil can be nasty

If I resort to practical magic It's when I think I think the situation has gone out of balance and just needs a little push to be straightened out again.

I catch less blowback that way

I actually burned the runes and after that they seem to be working. I don't know why this is.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Quote from: DerickVonD;30972
I actually burned the runes and after that they seem to be working. I don't know why this is.

Okay... I think you have a basic misunderstanding as to what runes are. That's okay, most people do.

The runes are an alphabet. Nothing more. Nothing less. You can use them to do something called 'writing' :)

In and of themselves, they are completely inert. It's HOW you use them that gives them power. Our ancestors believed in the power of speech, and of the written word, and of poetry. Many people were illiterate (although not nearly as many as a lot of people assume. Most city dwellers at least had a passing familiarity). Therefore, a 'spell' when written possessed power and permanence. The runes did not give it power. The power was inherent in the work, the runes gave it form.

Carrying a 'luck' rune around would provide you with about the same amount of mojo as a lucky rabbit's foot. That is to say, exactly how much power YOU give it. We create our own luck, it is not gifted to us by a magical letter. Through your works, and your deeds, and your word fame, you create luck for yourself and your family. Be an upstanding, respected member of your community and gain luck. Be a douche bag, and lose it. What you carry in your pocket can have as little or as much impact on this as you want.

My point here is, YOU have the power, not a piece of wood that you've burnt a symbol into. That symbol may represent something to you, but it is powerless on it's own.

Word-craft is worthless without human interaction.

Tags: