[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Idunna  (Read 3076 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Idunna
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:01:32 am »
Hello, friends.

I looking for info and UPG about Idun (Iduna, Idunn, Idunna).

Very long story short:  I've been studying spae (oracular seidh) off and on for a long time.  A few months ago, I had my first possessory experience.  I remember very little, but I was told that Idunna took over. I was also told that She said She wants me to work with Her in a specific, spae-centered way.

Because of this experience, I need to learn more about Her.  I've read a couple of versions of the story in which Idunna is kidnapped by the giant in order to get Her apples, and Loki -- who had lured Her out for the giant in the first place -- saves Her. And I know She's Bragi's wife.  But I have't found very much more about Her.

Can you recommend reliable sources?  And/or share your own UPG about Idunna?

I'm especially interested in the best ways to honor Her.  An amulet to wear?  A figurine for my altar?  Offerings?  Etc....

Thank you for you help!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Megatherium

• View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Idunna
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:06:33 pm »
Hello, friends.

I looking for info and UPG about Idun (Iduna, Idunn, Idunna).

Very long story short:  I've been studying spae (oracular seidh) off and on for a long time.  A few months ago, I had my first possessory experience.  I remember very little, but I was told that Idunna took over. I was also told that She said She wants me to work with Her in a specific, spae-centered way.

Because of this experience, I need to learn more about Her.  I've read a couple of versions of the story in which Idunna is kidnapped by the giant in order to get Her apples, and Loki -- who had lured Her out for the giant in the first place -- saves Her. And I know She's Bragi's wife.  But I have't found very much more about Her.

Can you recommend reliable sources?  And/or share your own UPG about Idunna?

I'm especially interested in the best ways to honor Her.  An amulet to wear?  A figurine for my altar?  Offerings?  Etc....

Thank you for you help!

~ Aster

I wish I could help you more, but unfortunately, I don't make a point to include Idunna as part of my personal practice, so my own experience is going to be unhelpful.

As far as I know, Idunna is a bit of an unusual figure because although she is fairly well defined in Eddic mythology, there is a distinct lack of other references to her in other sources, and I'm not aware of any toponyms related to her either.

I've read (Simek's Dictionary of Northern mythology) that Bragi may actually be a based on historical poet - whether he was then turned into a deity or whether Snorri did that himself is difficult to say. It may be that him and Idunna are late, post-conversion additions to the pantheon. If that is the case, my unfounded intuition is that Idunna may be a composite of some of the local land spirits related to fertility - perhaps something like the continental Matronae. Of course, I may be wrong.

I don't have many sources on modern Idunna worship, but I've found the following page to be somewhat useful. I think much of the info has no real historical basis, and I am less than comfortable with many of the things Ms.Krasskova writes, but this site at least may show how some modern people view Idunna and worship her in the present day.

Hope this was of some assistance!

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/iduna/index.html
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:58 am »
I wish I could help you more, but unfortunately, I don't make a point to include Idunna as part of my personal practice, so my own experience is going to be unhelpful.

As far as I know, Idunna is a bit of an unusual figure because although she is fairly well defined in Eddic mythology, there is a distinct lack of other references to her in other sources, and I'm not aware of any toponyms related to her either.

I've read (Simek's Dictionary of Northern mythology) that Bragi may actually be a based on historical poet - whether he was then turned into a deity or whether Snorri did that himself is difficult to say. It may be that him and Idunna are late, post-conversion additions to the pantheon. If that is the case, my unfounded intuition is that Idunna may be a composite of some of the local land spirits related to fertility - perhaps something like the continental Matronae. Of course, I may be wrong.

I don't have many sources on modern Idunna worship, but I've found the following page to be somewhat useful. I think much of the info has no real historical basis, and I am less than comfortable with many of the things Ms.Krasskova writes, but this site at least may show how some modern people view Idunna and worship her in the present day.

Hope this was of some assistance!

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/iduna/index.html
Thank you! I appreciate the link. I've downloaded Krasskova's book on Idunna and Braggi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Megatherium

• View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:56:25 pm »
Thank you! I appreciate the link. I've downloaded Krasskova's book on Idunna and Braggi.

Glad to help! Here is another link I found to some prayers/poems to/for Idunna. Again, not a ton of info, but it may be useful to see how other people perceive Idunna.

http://www.odins-gift.com/wichtig/1theme/idunna.htm
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:40:17 am »
Glad to help! Here is another link I found to some prayers/poems to/for Idunna. Again, not a ton of info, but it may be useful to see how other people perceive Idunna.

http://www.odins-gift.com/wichtig/1theme/idunna.htm
Another great link! Thank you!

Tags:

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 215
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal