Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: How do Heathens view hauntings?  (Read 3212 times)

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
How do Heathens view hauntings?
« on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:56 pm »
I was just curious about how Heathens view hauntings. Christians believe most hauntings are demons but since we do not believe in demons(not a bad thing lol) is it safe to assume that we view hauntings as people who have unfinished business or any other reason why a spirit may linger.

I do believe in ghosts as I have personally seen several and am curious how we would deal with a spirit haunting. Figured this would be an interesting subject to discuss.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Re: How do Heathens view hauntings?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:38:39 am »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;192178
I was just curious about how Heathens view hauntings. Christians believe most hauntings are demons but since we do not believe in demons(not a bad thing lol) is it safe to assume that we view hauntings as people who have unfinished business or any other reason why a spirit may linger.

I do believe in ghosts as I have personally seen several and am curious how we would deal with a spirit haunting. Figured this would be an interesting subject to discuss.

Hehe, well, I was a ghost hunter for years. My personal take on it? They are obviously some kind of wight, but what kind I think differs from place to place.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 10:36:31 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;192206
Hehe, well, I was a ghost hunter for years. My personal take on it? They are obviously some kind of wight, but what kind I think differs from place to place.
Seriously! Elaborate?! Maybe not lore based though?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:31:05 am »
Christians believe most hauntings are demons....

This might be true of some Christians, but it's certainly not a widespread position.

Since it's neither topical to the SIG nor relevant to your question, that's a side point; if it's something you'd want to discuss further, it should have its own thread elsewhere (probably  in the Non-Pagan Religions and Interfaith Discussions forum). But it's enough of a misstatement that I couldn't let it pass.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:42:27 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;192224
This might be true of some Christians, but it's certainly not a widespread position.

Since it's neither topical to the SIG nor relevant to your question, that's a side point; if it's something you'd want to discuss further, it should have its own thread elsewhere (probably  in the Non-Pagan Religions and Interfaith Discussions forum). But it's enough of a misstatement that I couldn't let it pass.

Sunflower

I guess I made an assumption. I made it however from my own experiences but now that you mention it probably not all Christians believe that.

Doc

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;192313
I guess I made an assumption. I made it however from my own experiences but now that you mention it probably not all Christians believe that.

So what's the view points of heathens on hauntings is it just the wights getting frisky or

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:14:47 am »

Personally I do not believe in hauntings and such. I like to try to use logic, science and coincidence to explain things that others may view as hauntings, but that is not to say that either of us is right or wrong.

I'd say wights would be your best bet, though. They might like to get mischievous from time to time.

Kitta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 11:39:58 pm »

I personally believe that they are wights, vaettir, hamingjas, light elves, dark elves, etc. depending on what the entity is doing, where it is, what it seems to want and such things.  I take care to cultivate a positive relationship with the spirits around my home.  I view them as generally good things, though interestingly I have ran across a sort of 'demon' like construct in heathen lore that you might find interesting.  I don't have the book with me now for direct quotations because I'm on vacation in Tennessee at the moment, but in the Asatruar Edda by the Noerrena Society they mentions some sort of spirits of disease and mayhem associated with Gullveig and the Jotunn ... that's all I remember of it.  If you're interested, next week when I get home I'll look up the specific passages and quote them for you, otherwise a google search may or may not yield results.  Hope I helped. :)
"There is no greater a friend one can have than a store of common sense." - Havamal

Tags: