collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Heathenry - is it for me?  (Read 1864 times)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
Heathenry - is it for me?
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »
I am still discovering my path and Norse paganism/heathenry seems to interest me. However, I do not feel any special connections with Norse Gods. I have my personal beliefs that are forming (they are posted on another thread in the introduction section).

Why were you drawn to heathenry?

Do you think it's a good place for me to start looking?

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
Re: Heathenry - is it for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;36620
I am still discovering my path and Norse paganism/heathenry seems to interest me. However, I do not feel any special connections with Norse Gods. I have my personal beliefs that are forming (they are posted on another thread in the introduction section).

Hehe, at the risk of sounding pedantic, only YOU can tell you if it's a good place to start or finish looking. What is it that interests you about heathenry, yet leaves you without feeling any connection with our gods? The two do kind of go hand in hand :)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:21:16 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;36647
Hehe, at the risk of sounding pedantic, only YOU can tell you if it's a good place to start or finish looking. What is it that interests you about heathenry, yet leaves you without feeling any connection with our gods? The two do kind of go hand in hand :)

I am interested in the folklore and a religion based in an area where survival was difficult, but possible. I guess part of it comes from my past. I used to be a practicing Christian (with the church about a bloc away). I remember feeling very happy while practicing, but when I moved away and saw where I had been it seemed sort of wrong and not myself. I do not like the idea of worshiping a figure who controls my life and fate. I'd rather have (for lack of a better word) a friendlier relationship with them.

Thanks for the help.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:47:47 am »
Quote from: bluewave193;36659
I am interested in the folklore and a religion based in an area where survival was difficult, but possible. I guess part of it comes from my past. I used to be a practicing Christian (with the church about a bloc away). I remember feeling very happy while practicing, but when I moved away and saw where I had been it seemed sort of wrong and not myself. I do not like the idea of worshiping a figure who controls my life and fate. I'd rather have (for lack of a better word) a friendlier relationship with them.

Thanks for the help.

Well, our gods generally tend not to take too much direct interest in individuals. That's where our disir and the landvaettir come in to play. The gods tend to be more 'Big Picture' types. Worthy of our respect, of course, and honored for what they've done and continue to do for everyone. But I couldn't claim, for example, to have a daily conversation with Odin and have people actually believe my claim. That's just not how our gods tend to work.

DragonDaughter

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Quote from: bobthesane;36689
But I couldn't claim, for example, to have a daily conversation with Odin and have people actually believe my claim. That's just not how our gods tend to work.

I think we would all start to back away slowly if you started to claim that. I know I wouldn't want to be collateral damage if he claims payment. ;) J/K!!

To the OP:

I wandered back and forth towards Heathenism for years. Every time I was drawn back, I'd find some book or article on the web that made me run for cover (won't name authors so as to not start a shit storm, but Bob will have a good idea of who I'm talking about). I finally got involved at AL and Raven Radio, and they gave me good directions to go, and I've met some damn fine people through there. Bob is one of them!

To me, Heathenry is a way of life, and to borrow a phrase from someone I respect "right relationships" of gifting and doing what is right by way of the landvaettir and disir. It's become my worldview, and while I still struggle at times with 'the homework' it has become a very vital and rewarding way to live.

I hope that makes sense... I'm still working on my first cup of coffee this morning! ;)
"Bug f*ck nuts" should NOT be the answer when one questions their own sanity.:rolleye::

Owner of sharp claws, and a sharper tongue... Beware the snark factor :dwink:

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:55 am »

Don't see why you can't. There is more to Heathery than the gods. Start with myth and the nine virtues . If they fit keep looking.

caryatid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:19 am »

What drew me to heathenry was a goddess and a worldview.

While I was still finding my place, I made it a habit to learn more about the faiths of my friends- partially out of curiosity, but mainly so I wouldn't offend anyone accidentally.  After attending every church in my community, I "tried on" a few different pagan religions- and just like a jacket that is half a size too small, they just rubbed me the wrong way in all the wrong places.
   I had been "uninvited" from one group for being "too violent" (if you knew me, you would know how hilarious that is. In college, I rescued and rehabilitated baby bunnies I found at work)  I was mocked by another for doing things wrong, when I was following my own natural rhythms. (Midnight just seemed the wrong time to me to celebrate summer).

Then one day, I made a friend. He was a heathen, and I had never heard of it. So I started reading up on it so I wouldn't embarrass myself with my ignorance of his faith. And I kept reading...And reading....and asking questions...and reading some more...  

My point is: You have to start somewhere, right?  The more you learn about the world, the more you learn about yourself. If it feels right, then "try it on"- but don't "buy" anything until you find the one that feels so natural, it is a part of you.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:24:14 am »

When I finally became honest with myself and turned away from Hard Atheism, I needed a framework for my metaphysical outlook. I was of course more than a little familiar with the common mythologies and history, and an authentic approach for me required that I cleave to ancestry and culture. This made Asatru a natural choice, given my background and interests.

Whether it's a good place for you is entirely something for you to discover. I made a conscious decision based on specific criteria... such a method may be something for you to try, or you can cast about and see what resonates.

Either way, I would expect a lengthy journey.

Tags: