collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: God(ess) of Trade/Business?  (Read 2317 times)

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
God(ess) of Trade/Business?
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:42:24 am »
Hello fellow Heathens,

I have a quick question. I am new to Asatru and in my research I have found that if one needs wisdom you would ask Odin, strength you ask Thor. The norse people were skilled traders as evidence has shown. My question is which god or goddess would I ask for help with business. I have not been able to find the answers myself so I have decided to ask for help on the matter.

I appreciate your input!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: God(ess) of Trade/Business?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:55:51 am »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;193653
Hello fellow Heathens,

I have a quick question. I am new to Asatru and in my research I have found that if one needs wisdom you would ask Odin, strength you ask Thor. The norse people were skilled traders as evidence has shown. My question is which god or goddess would I ask for help with business. I have not been able to find the answers myself so I have decided to ask for help on the matter.

I appreciate your input!
For business I tend to start with Mara, who is a Baltic goddess, but if I were sticking to a strictly Norse pantheon I'd probably choose depending on who I had a relationship with and what aspects of business I needed help with. Talking to Odin would be a first choice for me because he's got qualities useful for business and because I work with him already and have a relationship established.

You can also look outside the gods for help. If you have ancestors who were good business people, it might be worth asking their help. Working with the land spirits near your workplace can also be worthwhile. Back when she was writing interesting stuff sometimes, Galina Krasskova wrote a book on working with smaller spirits, specifically dwarves, for financial issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 12:50:03 pm »
Quote from: Jack;193655
For business I tend to start with Mara, who is a Baltic goddess, but if I were sticking to a strictly Norse pantheon I'd probably choose depending on who I had a relationship with and what aspects of business I needed help with. Talking to Odin would be a first choice for me because he's got qualities useful for business and because I work with him already and have a relationship established.

You can also look outside the gods for help. If you have ancestors who were good business people, it might be worth asking their help. Working with the land spirits near your workplace can also be worthwhile. Back when she was writing interesting stuff sometimes, Galina Krasskova wrote a book on working with smaller spirits, specifically dwarves, for financial issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This was very insightful. Thank you. Do you think I could find her writings online regarding the subject of working with the smaller spirits?

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »
Quote from: Friendly_Viking;193653
Hello fellow Heathens,

I appreciate your input!

For trade I would call on Njord.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:05 pm »
Quote from: Holdasown;193658

Although not a practitioner of Fornsed myself, from what I have read about my ancestors' religion, I would definitely agree with you on this account. Definitely Njord.

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;193660
Although not a practitioner of Fornsed myself, from what I have read about my ancestors' religion, I would definitely agree with you on this account. Definitely Njord.

Odin is called "God of Cargoes" and was generally the one seen as having an interest in trade and the carrying of burdens. But that is one of those things we have less information about.

Friendly_Viking

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:04:11 am »
Quote from: Holdasown;193658

Thank you! I appreciate your help, being such a fledgling heathen I know very little.

Tags: