Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: "The Maiden with the Mead" Anyone familiar with it?  (Read 5792 times)

btb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: "The Maiden with the Mead" Anyone familiar with it?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »
Quote from: bobthesane;70747
LOL uuuh, you haven't spent much time hanging with hardcore recons, have you :)

I'm calling her on her 'bullshit'. There was no Great Mother Goddess of Europe in antiquity. There were and are a variety of deities known in different places by different cultures, many of whom have overlapping qualities that are common to nearly all cultures. You know, motherhood, fertility, home life, etc. That merely proves that humans in widely separated places and times all view some things in the same light, and so do our deities. It provides no proof of some Super Mom goddess.

lollollol
hmmm ,   yeah im doggie paddlin here, but  i really want to learn the different strokes of swimming.

i thought  she was speaking about Freya? as in "one" of the goddesses?

no, i dont know alot about recon ecxept it i heard the term from a woman when trying to describe the  "ideals?" towards my end.
 she said thats (recon)and what i am and of course i nodded. so very little research helped me define my general direction as "recon" and here i amm..;)
but dont laugh at me, laugh with me PPlleease? my concern hasnt really been to define myself but to explore where i want to be. i guess that does leave me a bit circling for a place to land. (leaning towards hardcore gutish peasant heathenry--where to find that!!) im gonna have to cave here and there.
 thank you for your indulgence.

def gonna do my homework.  maybe she is "one great goddessing".

ill be right back. :whis:

thanks
tammy
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:31:47 pm by btb »
Not that Belladonna Took had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins.

btb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 04:49:08 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;70422
Not to recon as it's used in this SIG (and is usually used in other pagan contexts).  Pagan/Heathen Reconstructionism is about determining the actual religiocultural practices of an ancient culture (thus, Hellenic Recon, Celtic Recon, etc), through the use of sound scholarly sources.

Just because she's "very spiritually involved" in her work doesn't mean she has scholarly accuracy (in fact, too much spiritual investment can interfere with sound scholarship by creating a bias in favor of how one wants things to have been, rather than how they were).

Pointing out that someone's work is inaccurate isn't harsh among recons; it's how recons do things.

Sunflower

QUOTE=SunflowerP;70422]Not to recon as it's used in this SIG (and is usually used in other pagan contexts).  Pagan/Heathen Reconstructionism is about determining the actual religiocultural practices of an ancient culture (thus, Hellenic Recon, Celtic Recon, etc), through the use of sound scholarly sources.

Just because she's "very spiritually involved" in her work doesn't mean she has scholarly accuracy (in fact, too much spiritual investment can interfere with sound scholarship by creating a bias in favor of how one wants things to have been, rather than how they were).

Pointing out that someone's work is inaccurate isn't harsh among recons; it's how recons do things.

Sunflower[/QUOTE]

thanks for the suuccint decription of recon.

oh.
imho the fact that she is a member of an asatru assembly, adds weight to her work.
i'll need my reconstructive base to have overt metaphysical
inclusions. but im too fluid to fit the box right now, or even find my box LOL  thats me, not my under consciousness.trying to burgeon free.... ok ok .More LOL.  am i in the wrong forum to feel that out?

someones work was not being pointed out as being "inaccurate"

someone was raising concerns about the POTENTAL "inaccuracy" of a body of work.  

ie, proposed bullshit factor.
 the "harsh word".  ..he didnt say she was full of shit he said his bullshit factor was inputting.,  if he, hasnt read it (nor have i) i dont want to go in too predisposed. i thought it was appropriate.
my comment addressed that concern. ..amicably .. see smiley face;)

didnt want to have use that many words though.

so, if my harsh word and smiley face offended  im  s  ss...sss..ssoooorr....ssoorrr... sorr  well you know what i mean :ange:

op--

im reading it now , ill be  glad to have it as a future reference.
some of my readings are So dry!
and its free!l
so lets try it and talk about it as someone else suggested.

eng isnt her first language, nor her 2cnd, i believe. but i can understand it better than many established sources. and i like footnotes. a lot of possibilities for me at least.  

i hope that clarifies things a little

"its how i do things"
thanks
tammy
Not that Belladonna Took had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »
Quote from: btb;71363
imho the fact that she is a member of an asatru assembly, adds weight to her work.

Why?  It's a pay-to-join organization, not a scholarly, credentials-based one.  I could join, and I'm not a recon of any stripe.

Brina

btb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;71364
Why?  It's a pay-to-join organization, not a scholarly, credentials-based one.  I could join, and I'm not a recon of any stripe.

Brina

http://www.bifrost.no/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=313&Itemid=111
 says  free membership , but pay for magazine subscriptions if you want.
this link to one of her affiliations could tell you more than i know about them
however, I checked em out because I wouldnt trust any thing she said if it had a hate based agenda.   .    so i take advantage of her work for self edification, and since her work was asked about ,  i responded in the affirmative. i thought others were interested too. hence my posts.
her Work is scholarly.  
i dont personally know this woman.

and  kinda like parenting help , im more likely to read a book or take advice from a parent than a non-parent. :)

im reading it, but i dont have much other insights to compare hers too.:o

mostly , im sticking to the classics.   although this version of the Havamal i have is cardboardy. and no notes.......
maybe in a group discussion, i'd be quicker on the uptake here. at least thats my aim.

i really, really enjoyed her "Burning the Witch! – The Initiation of the Goddess and the War of the Aesir and the Vanir."
Theres that singular "goddess" thing!:eek:  and i do have her Voluspa trans. i cant find a thread anywhere on that though.:cry:

:hdsk: (lotsa this lately):)
tammy

Tags: