Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: TC's Blog Project -- 2016  (Read 2877 times)

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
TC's Blog Project -- 2016
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:57:57 pm »

This is the newest iteration of TC's Blog Project.

A-Z, one letter-post every week. It's pretty simple.

Have at it, folks.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Dusk

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: TC's Blog Project -- 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:04:07 pm »
Quote from: Castus;187539
This is the newest iteration of TC's Blog Project.

A-Z, one letter-post every week. It's pretty simple.

Have at it, folks.

Just to clarify (since I wasn't around for the last blog project) - does this mean each blogger should come up with their own theme to correspond to the week's letter, and post a link here when they're done with the post? Or will the alphabetical themes be posted for people to respond to? And what is the start date?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:04:46 pm by Dusk »
Shadows of Dusk - My tumblr with bits and musings related to my path.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:04:49 pm »
Quote from: Dusk;187548
Just to clarify (since I wasn't around for the last blog project) - does this mean each blogger should come up with their own theme to correspond to the week's letter, and post a link here when they're done with the post? Or will the alphabetical themes be posted for people to respond to? And what is the start date?

Last year I believe we did one letter for two weeks (so A was the letter for the first two weeks, then B etc..).  Each blogger did come up with their own topic and then posted a link when they were done.  

I don't think I'll be participating this year.  For some reason, the letter prompts weren't serving me well last year (I think I made it to E only, and didn't manage two posts per letter, but only one).  This year I've been solid at sticking to just making some kind of blog a week, so since that seems to be what is working, I'll continue that, but I love reading other people's blogs!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 05:09:11 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;187577
Last year I believe we did one letter for two weeks (so A was the letter for the first two weeks, then B etc..).  Each blogger did come up with their own topic and then posted a link when they were done.  

I don't think I'll be participating this year.  For some reason, the letter prompts weren't serving me well last year (I think I made it to E only, and didn't manage two posts per letter, but only one).  This year I've been solid at sticking to just making some kind of blog a week, so since that seems to be what is working, I'll continue that, but I love reading other people's blogs!

Maybe the Blog Project needs a reboot, as I have seen more than one person mention the problems with ABC themed posting. And really, the ABC thing serves no purpose other than to impose an artificial constraint on what/how to blog. It seems kinds of...not quite pointless—as it does try to serve a function—but perhaps pointlessly arbitrary? Pointlessly arbitrary + spoon counting = LOLNOPE.

A thought I had while going ticka-ticka-ticka writing the above paragraph is that perhaps a better (or notasmuch better but different) idea might be to write a blog post about a thread or subject that one has seen/participated/whatev here on TC. Then it's an actual TC Blog Project, as opposed to a Blog Project just associated with TC.

Does this make sense to anyone or am I just babbleposting?
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;187578
A thought I had while going ticka-ticka-ticka writing the above paragraph is that perhaps a better (or notasmuch better but different) idea might be to write a blog post about a thread or subject that one has seen/participated/whatev here on TC. Then it's an actual TC Blog Project, as opposed to a Blog Project just associated with TC.

I'm just a lurker on TC, but that sounds very awesome.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »
Quote from: ainellewellyn;187586
I'm just a lurker on TC, but that sounds very awesome.

Yay for not babbleposting.

Also, I dug a bit and found the original files for the TC Blog Project badge thingie I made last year...so I've tidied up the design slightly, changed the colorway to differentiate from the previous one, and updated the year.

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

The picture is 300px wide, which should look nice in most blog sidebars. If anybody needs a smaller version, let me know your desired pixel width and I can scale it smaller.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:11 am »
Maybe the Blog Project needs a reboot, as I have seen more than one person mention the problems with ABC themed posting. And really, the ABC thing serves no purpose other than to impose an artificial constraint on what/how to blog. It seems kinds of...not quite pointless—as it does try to serve a function—but perhaps pointlessly arbitrary? Pointlessly arbitrary + spoon counting = LOLNOPE.

I really like this idea, I think it helps give a good springboard for anyone who might feel a bit stuck on a topic.  And, when people are posting their blog posts here, they can (if they wan't) share which topic inspired their blog post?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:57 pm »

It makes perfect sense, and a "Thread of the Month" was actually part of the original TC Blog Project.

I think your idea of people individually choosing a thread or subject from the forum to blog about might work better, however; I seem to recall at a certain point we had trouble all agreeing on a monthly thread, so it petered out. (Mind you, I didn't participate in the 2015 one, so I don't know how that went, or if there was a monthly thread for that iteration of the project.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:16:53 am »
Quote from: Morag;187779
It makes perfect sense, and a "Thread of the Month" was actually part of the original TC Blog Project.

I think your idea of people individually choosing a thread or subject from the forum to blog about might work better, however; I seem to recall at a certain point we had trouble all agreeing on a monthly thread, so it petered out. (Mind you, I didn't participate in the 2015 one, so I don't know how that went, or if there was a monthly thread for that iteration of the project.)

2015 was the Pagan blog project I think, not sure that we did a different thing.  and PBP had just weekly letter posts, no monthly topic ones.

And last year we did sort of get hung up on the monthly topics, mainly in remembering to discuss them ahead of time, though sometimes people definitely had different preferences.

I think that it needs to be individual choice OR that one person needs to spearhead the group topics and just pick (and they would need to be committed to getting topics posted in time).  

Weekly was also really hard for some people, and I just want to reiterate what we said last year:  don't feel like you can't do it if you don't feel you can do a weekly post!  Just join along when you can.  If you only end up doing one post here or there, that is fine, there is no real hard and fast rule.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »
Quote from: Morag;187779

2015 had both options - alpha posts and themes. IIRC, the entire project just sort of fizzled out in August.  Setting a common theme is great for getting some different perspectives on a subject, but deciding on those themes has proven a bit difficult.

I like the idea of individually choosing a subject or thread from here on TC to write about... and doing so at our own pace.  There may be some threads/subjects that inspire more than one person, so we may still get the multiple perspectives going.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tags: