collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Writing: Need a divine judge/arbitrator  (Read 6023 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Need a divine judge/arbitrator
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 02:17:29 pm »
Well, one option is always Minos. He's not a deity, but he does serve as a judge in Greek mythology, and is a common figure in Christian fiction as well, and he was hardly a moral paragon. I could see him pushing the scales in Satan's favor, if he had sufficient incentive to do so.

That's a very good suggestion. Know where I can look up some background information on him, aside from Wikipedia?
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »
That's a very good suggestion. Know where I can look up some background information on him, aside from Wikipedia?

Well, since I'm not a Hellenist nor a Christian, I'm at a bit of a handicap as far as sources go, but Britannica has an article about him, as does Encyclopedia Mythica, but both are pretty bare-bones. There are a few references to him in various New Advent articles as well, mostly discussing the Chruch fathers' views on classical religion.

However, your best bet is probably just googling him. He's a very popular character in both Classical and Renaissance literature; he appears in Dante's Inferno, for example, and in the Aeneid, as well as many modern pop cultural books like the "Percy Jackson" series.

He's almost as well known as Hercules, or Ulysses, and was even more well known in the early modern era than he is today. Finding general information about him shouldn't be hard.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:42 pm »

Well, one option is always Minos. He's not a deity, but he does serve as a judge in Greek mythology,

LOL!  I read this and thought, "I think I mentioned him a couple of posts above." So, I scrolled up to make sure I hadn't hallucinated that and discovered my phone had autocorrected "Minos" to "Midas".

Damn you, autocorrect!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

(Edited by Darkhawk to fix quote code)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:23:13 pm by Darkhawk »
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 11:01:48 pm »
my phone had autocorrected "Minos" to "Midas".

Ah, yes, the other King "M" that's moderately well known and associated with fables.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 01:05:52 am »
Ah, yes, the other King "M" that's moderately well known and associated with fables.

And there actually is another story besides the "Golden Touch" one where Midas *does* get talked into being a judge between gods.  It doesn't sound like the sort of experience he'd care to repeat, really,  but then he seems not to be the wisest fellow around...

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 06:32:42 am »
... Britannica has an article about him, as does Encyclopedia Mythica, but both are pretty bare-bones.

Here is what Theoi.com has on the subject.

Theoi.com is also the 'comprehensive reference' - or close enough to comprehensive - you mentioned, Eric, on Greek deities and mythology. I agree with - no, make that 'verify, based on my own experiences with researching deities' -  what Ashmire said about it working better to do it by pantheon/culture; resources that are more comprehensive in breadth are inevitably far less comprehensive in depth (Wikipedia, because of its 'anyone can edit' stance, is about as good as it gets for comprehensiveness in both dimensions, but the tradeoff there is that reliability can be compromised).

On the same note, my go-to for Celtic info is Jones' Celtic Encyclopedia (mirror site; maryjones.us appears to be down or expired :().

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 12:17:44 pm »

I have written the scene; you can look at it. Feel free to make comments if you think I'm not being fair to any of the personalities mentioned.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Tags: judges arbitrators