Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Writing: NaNoWriMo 2018  (Read 9838 times)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: NaNoWriMo 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:00 pm »
November is fast approaching and with it, National Novel Writing Month.

For those who aren't familiar, NaNoWriMo is a month long frenzied creative challenge.  To 'win' you only need to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November.

Who's in this year? What are you doing to prepare and what do you plan to write?

I'm in...this will be my 12th year....wow!

I had this thought for a novel a month or so ago....my prep consists of a small post-it that pretty much has the same info in my novel synopsis  It's going to be a stretch, there is SO much about this world I have no clue about, I just started with the idea that guardian angels were the ghosts of dead people, and that they are the reason for most of the unexplained things we see out of the corner of our eye or random impulses we have.  And I actually have a plot seed this year (not something I always remember to do lol)  Something is making them disappear (though I have no clue who/what/why yet...).

I'm a discovery writer, so I'll figure it out as I go along.  Excited about it, even though it will be more ambitious that I've been since I started also writing monthly stories for my Patreon, so we'll see.  I'm stubborn though, so something will get written, even if it's just me rambling crazy theories about this unseen world!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 07:55:01 pm »
I had this thought for a novel a month or so ago....my prep consists of a small post-it that pretty much has the same info in my novel synopsis  It's going to be a stretch, there is SO much about this world I have no clue about, I just started with the idea that guardian angels were the ghosts of dead people, and that they are the reason for most of the unexplained things we see out of the corner of our eye or random impulses we have.  And I actually have a plot seed this year (not something I always remember to do lol)  Something is making them disappear (though I have no clue who/what/why yet...).

That should make for some fun reading!

You're using my usual method for NaNo -  a random idea that becomes a story without a whole lot prep or any clue where it's going.  I'm turning my NaNo writing on its head this time and have outline, character sketches, and world building already completed.  I won't know what to do with myself on November 1st. 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
Who's in this year? What are you doing to prepare and what do you plan to write?

I'm in, sure, I should go re-up my login. Not going to win it this year; I have a very intensive retreat that's going to cost me a few days, but it'll be good to regain my momentum on In The Seed nonetheless.  (It's already started, but that doesn't have to stop me.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 06:17:02 pm »
November is fast approaching and with it, National Novel Writing Month.

*looks at calendar*

Well, that arrived quickly. Good luck everyone!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 01:58:52 pm »
*looks at calendar*

Ugh, tell me about it. 

Of course, it doesn't help that hubby and I have been intensely playing 7 days 2 die, and then the Fallout 76 beta started yesterday (technically it was supposed to start Tuesday, but there was a snafu, so they made yeseterday's beta 9 hours instead of 4!) 

I only got about 900 words written yesterday (between 11:30 at night and 3am....*sigh), and I think I'm going to page break and restart because I don't like what I've written....

Hope everyone else's start has been better than mine!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 04:05:36 pm »
I think I'm going to page break and restart because I don't like what I've written....

Right there with you.  I have more page breaks and cross outs than usable text at this point.  I realized that, after spending months of prep work for this one, I am a pantster at heart. I may be switching to a completely unrelated novel before this one is over.

On the upside, 4thewords has been a great motivator so far. I can see that becoming my go to place for writing drafts.   

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:32 pm »
Right there with you.  I have more page breaks and cross outs than usable text at this point.  I realized that, after spending months of prep work for this one, I am a pantster at heart. I may be switching to a completely unrelated novel before this one is over.

On the upside, 4thewords has been a great motivator so far. I can see that becoming my go to place for writing drafts.

I played with them last year, and really enjoyed it.  Definitely helped in getting words on paper.  But ultimately I decided it wasn't for me, as I often write while doing other things, and having to write there, then back into another file...I dunno, just ended up not quite working for me.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:16 pm »
It's also fanfic, because of course it is.

it's a Royal AU mixed in with a Mythic Kings Under The Hill and Shitloads of Welsh Mythology And Also Dragons with a post-Brexit, break-up of the Union kind of setting.

o.O What fandom is that?

I am ... not in, because I have been consistently writing 2000 words per week for months now, and that seems to be a sustainable pace for me. This has actually become a NaNoWri Year for me, I'm now almost 40,000 words into a major fanfic project I started in May and I'm fairly confident I'll have 50,000+ by next May. Breaking the thing up into parts was key for me; it's much easier for me to write 5 arcs of 10,000 words than 1 arc of 50,000 words. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 01:04:23 am »
*looks at calendar*

I've got...3 paragraphs of hand-written scribbled, eked out in between classes. Hoping to get more done this weekend (and type up what I've handwritten). Not sure how long handwriting will happen with this book; my process seems to change completely from project to project.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 04:43:42 am »
o.O What fandom is that?

A ridiculous RPF fandom, that's what. It's a complete AU, there's really not a lot of canon in here at all, but like, if you're gonna keep saying 'when I inevitably become king', you sure bet at some point, Imma gonna write it. XD
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 04:33:08 pm »
A ridiculous RPF fandom, that's what. It's a complete AU, there's really not a lot of canon in here at all, but like, if you're gonna keep saying 'when I inevitably become king', you sure bet at some point, Imma gonna write it. XD

I also am writing ridiculous RPF. Kind of. It's complicated.

Good luck, everyone!
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 06:51:33 pm »
Good luck, everyone!

How is everyone doing during this last week of NaNo?  Is the 50K goal in sight for anyone?

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 06:55:17 pm »
How is everyone doing during this last week of NaNo?  Is the 50K goal in sight for anyone?

Meeee! Rather startlingly.

(I'm on track to finish a day early, currently, and I may make up more time tomorrow, since there is a write-in at my local public library I plan to be at.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:03 pm »

I hot my 50k on the 22nd, so it's been a little smoother sailing for the last few days. Still writing, but not as focused on always reading my 2k a day like I did before. I ended up working on a bunch of different projects, because that's just what ended up happening. I did get a good chunk of poetry done though, before I realised I needed to sort out some backstory, and you know how it is, one thing leads to another thing you need to write, so. It was all the same storyline, just different bits being written. I'm still happy with it though. It gives me some more space to work on it and begin developing it further.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »

Currently at 44,668, since I finally got this chapter to go.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"