collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Writing: NaNoWriMo 2017  (Read 11598 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 12:50:53 pm »
Time to give a shout-out if you're participating this year.  Tell us about your project and how long you've been partaking in the November madness.

I did the first chunk of Cracked Pots last year (a win, even) and have been having a hell of a time writing because, well, this past year is... this past year.  But maybe I'll use Nano to get me back to Margaret's pseudo-Victorian steampunk shenanigans.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 01:43:23 pm »
I'm toying with it, but I'd like to start the project that would be a good fit for it *this* month, not next month. (and ideally, I'd be, y'know, a good chunk of the way through by November).

Though, after peering at my calendar for October (and especially the number of work-related scheduling oddities that will affect both writing time and brain), I am going to say "Let me work on other things in October, and play with this for November.

(I have a plot outline, character notes, and 511 words that will not count for my final total, so.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
Nano Rebel

This might be me this year. I have two WIPs I want to work on, and I don't have a new story idea at the moment.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

CalicoNyanko

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »
November is just a few weeks away and that means it's nearly time for National Novel Writing Month.

For those who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is a month long  frenzied challenge to write a 50,000 word novel (or other writing project if you're feeling rebellious). 

Time to give a shout-out if you're participating this year.  Tell us about your project and how long you've been partaking in the November madness.

This will be my third year participating in NaNoWriMo. I've never finished before...my first year I made it to about 30,000 words and due to a lot of things going on in my life last year I quit around 5,000 words.  This year I have some great ideas that I'm really excited about, so I'm hoping to make it all the way. I'll be writing a Paranormal Murder Mystery about an amnesiac vampire and a ghost who work together to solve a century-old murder.

Naunau

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:23 am »
This will be my third year participating in NaNoWriMo. I've never finished before...my first year I made it to about 30,000 words and due to a lot of things going on in my life last year I quit around 5,000 words.  This year I have some great ideas that I'm really excited about, so I'm hoping to make it all the way. I'll be writing a Paranormal Murder Mystery about an amnesiac vampire and a ghost who work together to solve a century-old murder.

As someone unable to write prose confortably and who hasn't managed even to start this current Inktober reading this sort of thing always impresses me.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25:39 pm »
This might be me this year. I have two WIPs I want to work on, and I don't have a new story idea at the moment.
I'm quite likely to also end up in the rebel boat. I'm not sure what I want to write, just that I need to write SOMETHING and November is the time everyone else is encouraging me to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 06:52:33 pm »
I may attempt to type up some of my reams of notepaper-pages of fanfics. And if I really want to get fancy, post some of them online.

All right, I'm going to give this a shot! I just got my AO3 account up and running, I'm going to see how much of my already-written fic I can post in November, starting tomorrow. If any of you follow that link, please pay attention to the tags, some of my work has mature content in it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:00 pm »
November is just a few weeks away and that means it's nearly time for National Novel Writing Month.

I am. I have a short story/novella (because I have no clue how long it will end up being) that I've been working on the past couple of months on and off. I think I will work on that for NaNoWriMo. If I happen to finish it before the month is over, I'll sift through the pile and see what other story I can work on. Last year I did it and reached the 50K words goal, but the story has since gone beyond that limit.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:28:54 pm »

For those who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is a month long  frenzied challenge to write a 50,000 word novel (or other writing project if you're feeling rebellious). 

The LAST thing I should be doing is taking on more work, and yet...

For the sake of my own sanity and NOT spending another month running myself ragged, I'll probably noodle away at a story I started a while back, but I don't plan on actually trying to hit 50000 words. Just a little extra impetus to spend my free time working on my writing, maybe.

Should probably tackle other parts of my to-do list first though.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 11:30:41 pm »
I'm in. This will be my 10th year (I've won only twice).

What I write will be determined by how I do this month in finishing off my WIP. It will either be finishing off that WIP if I fail, or if I succeed I'll be writing the next book in the series.

Welp, I'm definitely rebelling. Working on three different WIPs; basically going to get up every day and choose one to work on. Possibly two, as one of them is non-fic and it's easier for me to work on 2 wips in a day if one is fiction and one is non-fic. 

I also joined 4thewords and I think it'll help me get some work done. It's basically an RPG where you battle monsters by writing a certain amount of words in a time limit. (200 words in 30 minutes, stuff like that.) It lets you divide up your work by projects and it's all private -- or you can publish it to the site if you want people to read it. Completely up to you. (If you want to join up and use my referral code, it's this: VCLLH54502)

I'm on my 30 day free trial but I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for it at the end. It's only 4 dollars a month and my first day on it I wrote over 1,000 words, which was welcome after the black hole of nothing that has been October.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 03:56:12 am »
For those of you who have participated in this before...are head starts kosher? Or am I supposed to wait until 12:01 am of November 1st to write the first word?

Well, it wasn't intentional, but I found an old start with a grand total of 248 words. So, I guess you can call me a rebel at heart.

I waited until 12:01 this morning to begin adding to it, though. Total of 1,607 words before 2 am. Excerpt and plot summary posted under "ehbowen"; I've always been easy to find. Bedtime now!
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 09:22:29 am »
I also joined 4thewords and I think it'll help me get some work done. It's basically an RPG where you battle monsters by writing a certain amount of words in a time limit. (200 words in 30 minutes, stuff like that.) It lets you divide up your work by projects and it's all private -- or you can publish it to the site if you want people to read it. Completely up to you. (If you want to join up and use my referral code, it's this: VCLLH54502)

I'm on my 30 day free trial but I'm pretty sure I'll be paying for it at the end. It's only 4 dollars a month and my first day on it I wrote over 1,000 words, which was welcome after the black hole of nothing that has been October.

I am not sure if I hate or love that you shared this....

I am going to be signing up for the trial today (before I start my writing for the day), and I have all of NaNo to see how it turns out, but yeah, that sounds pretty crazy cool.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »
I also joined 4thewords and I think it'll help me get some work done. It's basically an RPG where you battle monsters by writing a certain amount of words in a time limit.

Or for those who like something simpler (and free), or who are motivated differently, there's always Written? Kitten! (which I frequently forget to post a reminder about come NaNo, so thank you for reminding me).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:59 am »

As of day 2, I am 3525 words (into chapter 3!) and have come up with three magical beasties and had an unexpected Umbridgian Chapter of Social Disapproval which was rather fun to write, actually. [1]

(Note to self, come up with more magical beasties for future reference this weekend and/or do some more research on things there might be there anyway.)

[1] I was the author for Umbridge in a long-term alternate universe Harry Potter project, and that particular kind of social conformity sweet-nastiness is apparently something my brain now finds much easier to write than it used to, even if I can only do it for a short period at a time.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 12:11:33 am »
I waited until 12:01 this morning to begin adding to it, though. Total of 1,607 words before 2 am. Excerpt and plot summary posted under "ehbowen"; I've always been easy to find. Bedtime now!

Day 4; 4,697 words. Need to get hot.

Also need to stop chasing rabbits. But my Internet service went down, and I had a heckuva time getting it back up. Still need to work on it some more, too.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.