Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Writing: NaNoWriMo 2017  (Read 11238 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
NaNoWriMo 2017
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:46:45 pm »
November is just a few weeks away and that means it's nearly time for National Novel Writing Month.

For those who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is a month long  frenzied challenge to write a 50,000 word novel (or other writing project if you're feeling rebellious). 

Time to give a shout-out if you're participating this year.  Tell us about your project and how long you've been partaking in the November madness.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:59:53 pm by RandallS »

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:51:58 pm »
November is just a few weeks away and that means it's nearly time for National Novel Writing Month.

For those who aren't familiar with it, NaNoWriMo is a month long  frenzied challenge to write a 50,000 word novel (or other writing project if you're feeling rebellious). 

Time to give a shout-out if you're participating this year.  Tell us about your project and how long you've been partaking in the November madness.

Maybe. I've toyed with the idea before, but never committed.

If I do it, it will be to try to finish a light-hearted space opera I've written the first few chapters of already. I'm trying to put the Flash Gordon-esque fun and high adventure back into laser blasts and rocketships.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:37:55 pm »

I'm in! It'll be my 12th year! O: I have a few projects in mind, but I think I'll probably just keep hacking away at the novel trilogy I've been working on all year. I did Camp NaNo both times this year, and made some good progress. I managed to actually finish the first draft of the first novel. I just need to finish the other two, and finish off the short stories and other world-building thingies I started as well.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:42:26 am »

I've participated several years but I just cant seem to get around to it anymore. I do love the rush of writing and the community effort in getting everyone across the finish. I'd love to follow you guys. Good luck!
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:19:16 pm »

I'm toying with it, but I'd like to start the project that would be a good fit for it *this* month, not next month. (and ideally, I'd be, y'know, a good chunk of the way through by November).

If I do do it, it's a 1920s-era historical romance in England in a parallel magical community (think Potterverse, but with some different actual specifics about how magic and the parallel society works)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »

This will be my 11th year (and managed to cross the finish line every year..whew!)

My plan this year is definitely non-traditional.  I've done many years of fiction, one of non-fiction, and last year was a story/background for an RPG.  This year, I'm doing a journaling project.  I don't know what exactly I am going to write bout, but it will be some kind of a self-journal, I want to get into daily journaling, and I have quite a bit of other writing going on already (a monthly story for Patreon, weekly blog, assorted smaller projects, local community building several times a week....) so I thought a bit of self-love through journaling would be good for me.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:09:09 pm »

I'm in. This will be my 10th year (I've won only twice).

What I write will be determined by how I do this month in finishing off my WIP. It will either be finishing off that WIP if I fail, or if I succeed I'll be writing the next book in the series.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »

I'm in this year, I think!  I've missed it a few years but I think it's time to get back into the swing of things.  I have werewolf/vampire romance/horror theme planned.  Really a psycho thriller. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 06:26:41 pm »

For cryin' out loud, I think I'm going to give it a shot! I have a story which I plotted out for screenwriting class more than 20 years ago, entitled Guardian Angel. I always meant to novelize it, but never did. Might as well take a swing at it!

For those of you who have participated in this before...are head starts kosher? Or am I supposed to wait until 12:01 am of November 1st to write the first word?

Any advice, support, or encouragement will be welcomed, of course.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 06:33:58 pm »

I may attempt to type up some of my reams of notepaper-pages of fanfics. And if I really want to get fancy, post some of them online.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:05 pm »
For cryin' out loud, I think I'm going to give it a shot! I have a story which I plotted out for screenwriting class more than 20 years ago, entitled Guardian Angel. I always meant to novelize it, but never did. Might as well take a swing at it!

For those of you who have participated in this before...are head starts kosher? Or am I supposed to wait until 12:01 am of November 1st to write the first word?

Personally, I don't think the head starts are in the "spirit" of things, but the only "spirit" of things I talk to are usually via seance sooooo.  Go for it, I say.  I think the others have said they have head starts (I do).
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »

I'm a little jealous of all of the brilliant ideas! 

This will be my 11th year of NaNo with a couple of sad attempts at CampNaNo and ScriptFrenzy along the way.   As usual, I'm having trouble picking a project. I'm currently leaning toward a historical fiction, loosely based on the misadventures of one branch of my family tree. Ask me tomorrow and it will probably be something else entirely.   

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:24 pm »

I mean, everything's on the honor system, and it's really up to you how you participate. If you do decide to work on a WIP (Work In Progress) -- as in, a story you started writing *before* November began -- you'd be considered a Nano Rebel, and have your own spot on the forums.

I've spent many years in that spot, and will be there again this year if I don't finish my WIP this month.

That said, if you don't actually start the *writing* of the story before November and just do a lot of prep work like world-building, fleshing out characters, plotting, etc, then that's still considered within the rules of Nano and you wouldn't be a rebel.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 10:28:34 am »

Officially you're supposed to write a complete novel in a month, so no headstarts and no finishing after. What you can do, what I loved to do, is plot. Plot Plot Plot Plot Plot. I love love love plotting. Jotting down a scene in a few words to flesh out later. Describing a character. Describing the world. Figuring out the best way to exchange currency with neighboring countries without upsetting the delicate magical balance. Stuff like that.

I've been a rebel for years. Ever since my first nano I've been working on my one novel that I never seem to finish but keep adding bits to. Its ridiculous.
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:30 pm »
Officially you're supposed to write a complete novel in a month, so no headstarts and no finishing after. What you can do, what I loved to do, is plot. Plot Plot Plot Plot Plot. I love love love plotting. Jotting down a scene in a few words to flesh out later. Describing a character. Describing the world. Figuring out the best way to exchange currency with neighboring countries without upsetting the delicate magical balance. Stuff like that.

I've been a rebel for years. Ever since my first nano I've been working on my one novel that I never seem to finish but keep adding bits to. Its ridiculous.

I am also a rebel, as I stretch the definition of 'novel'.  But, since it's mostly a contest against myself, I decide what I need to push me as a writer, or what I feel I can manage, and set that as my goal.  I do keep the 40k word count, so every year I've won, I've written 40k for my nano project in November (I never count other writing I do as part of my NaNo word count)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!