Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo time!  (Read 4462 times)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: NaNoWriMo time!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 11:48:50 pm »
Past time for this year's post? Who else is doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year?

(And if you're eyeing it sceptically, come hang out in the thread anyway.)

Yep, because I just can't say no.

I was planning on finishing up prepping my novel in October...that didn't happen. So the first chunk of Nano is finishing my outline. Theory being, if this outline method I'm trying really is all it's cracked up to be, I'll easily still complete Nano even if I don't start putting in actual manuscript words on day 1.

That said, any words I write for the outline I'm still logging on my project.  ;D

The project is book 3 in my trilogy; it's likely going to be another behemoth like the first book (which is 250K words) so Nano is just a jumpstart on it anyway. It'll take several more months for me to complete draft 1.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 08:05:34 am »
That said, any words I write for the outline I'm still logging on my project.  ;D

I like how you think.

Day 3, 5000 words in, and I'm already questioning the wisdom of trying to simultaneously revise book 2 and draft book 3.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

wildwitchhazel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: In Development
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 11:20:06 am »
Past time for this year's post? Who else is doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this year?

Oh, I would if I wasn't in working and in school full time. *shakes fist angrily to the sky* Why is this always the reason?!  ;D

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2020, 08:07:41 pm »
Day 3, 5000 words in, and I'm already questioning the wisdom of trying to simultaneously revise book 2 and draft book 3.

One week in. How is everyone doing?  Are the projects buzzing along or stalled?

I'm managing a minimum pace of 1,667 daily and am wondering what my characters are up to.  Because they certainly aren't doing what I'd planned.  ::)

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2020, 09:43:11 pm »

My stats say I'm a quarter of the way through, I'm managing to hit a chapter a day (my chapters average a bit more than Nano minwords) and I may even finish this damn book this time.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 10:13:00 pm »

I wish I could participate this year. I just have so much going on. I already write so much fanfiction and have stories that I need to finish and post on fanfiction.net. I'm constantly getting ideas when I'm up in the night in bed. LOL! I will probably take part in it next year after I finish my two certificates from DeVry University and get things settled a bit more. Good luck to you all!
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 11:39:22 pm »

I'm a day ahead of pace, almost, which feels really good at this stage in the game. (I've been on vacation this week, which has helped with word count...)

Also in the 'this was not my outline, characters' but they're being delightful about it, so that's fine.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2020, 01:48:00 pm »

I'm managing a minimum pace of 1,667 daily and am wondering what my characters are up to.  Because they certainly aren't doing what I'd planned.  ::)

I've managed to do 2k+ every day (which is my personal daily word goal), and pushed enough beyond that on a few days that I'm now 1k words ahead of where I planned to be.  I'm really working to stay consistent this year.

Having said that....I have restarted my project (within the same file...I take the 'no edit!' part of NaNo to heart, when things go weird in my pieces, I just toss some extra spaces and start over or reset to a previous part)...and there is one random paragraph where I just vent about things that were annoying me in real life lol.

Originally I had sort of written myself into this place where I was just having the main character explain and complain about all the things in our world that are weird and horrible...to an alien who lives on a pretty idyllic planet.  But it just felt really whiny, so I rebooted the story and now I have someone who's been beaten a sunken knight in a song battle to win a magical item and has since been captured by an evil sorceress....much better!

On a semi-related note...my back/shoulders/neck have been really bothering me lately, and a major culprit is my computer sadly...I'm tall, and I wear bifocals now, so trying a new chair height (it's SO weird, it's lower than I'm used to...but really where my feet are flat on the ground when I'm sitting straight, which also lets me look at the screen square on without hunching or tilting my head down super far.  Writing isn't so bad, but when I play games I definitely end up having horrid posture, which kills my shoulders (and sometimes my hands will fall asleep), so I'm hoping I can get used to the new position and that it will help....we'll see!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 07:31:29 pm »
Having said that....I have restarted my project (within the same file...I take the 'no edit!' part of NaNo to heart, when things go weird in my pieces, I just toss some extra spaces and start over or reset to a previous part)...and there is one random paragraph where I just vent about things that were annoying me in real life lol.

That sounds like my process every year. 

How's everyone doing?  Still hanging in there?  I've managed to cross the 40K line today, with about half the story written.  Looking forward to getting lots of words in over the holiday weekend.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 02:18:26 pm »
That sounds like my process every year. 

How's everyone doing?  Still hanging in there?  I've managed to cross the 40K line today, with about half the story written.  Looking forward to getting lots of words in over the holiday weekend.
This is going to be another no-go year for me.  I am just too burnt out.  I'm actually taking a semi-sabatical from writing...starting as soon as I can manage to finish this month's Patreon story.  Too many projects that I have to do every month and I haven't had a break in five years....on top of this crazy year, I just can't.  So hoping a break will help me get renewed and ready to write again in the future!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: