Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Writing: Getting into the head of a Fae character  (Read 2212 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Getting into the head of a Fae character
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:01:53 am »
I'm (very) occasionally working on a fan-fiction set in an anime/manga world (Oh My Goddess!), and one of the characters in the story (from the motion picture, actually) is described as a "fairy princess."

She's not central to the story, although I do have in mind to use her to bring out some important points. The thing is, though, I have little knowledge and no personal experience whatsoever with the Fae. If I'm going to write about such a character, I'd like to do justice to her.

Could someone share some knowledge and insight about these beings, or provide some resources for background reading/information? I wouldn't mind purchasing an ebook or two, although I'm not going to go crazy with this...since it's a fan-fiction and I don't own the underlying rights, I'll like as not never make a dime off the story. Just wanted to stretch my brain and have some fun with the concepts.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:03:44 am by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Getting into the head of a Fae character
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 10:52:18 am »
Could someone share some knowledge and insight about these beings, or provide some resources for background reading/information? I wouldn't mind purchasing an ebook or two, although I'm not going to go crazy with this...since it's a fan-fiction and I don't own the underlying rights, I'll like as not never make a dime off the story. Just wanted to stretch my brain and have some fun with the concepts.

That is a huge huge topic, not least because the actual reality of the Good Folk and the way they get depicted in media are, um, very different, and often dangerously so.

I'm part way through a podcast episode that might be of help, though, and hit the highlights in a manageable dosage, so you understand the size of this question and the variations possible. The podcast is That Witch Life, and the episode is an interview with Morgan Daimler (whose stuff on this is great). It's episode 32 (listen at the website, or your preferred podcast app.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 11:56:50 am »
That is a huge huge topic, not least because the actual reality of the Good Folk and the way they get depicted in media are, um, very different, and often dangerously so.

After hanging out (off and on) on this board for thirteen years, I was kind of expecting that. Which is why I asked. I realize that the question, "What are the Fae like?" is way way too overbroad for a simple answer; one might as well ask, "What are humans like?" Well, would that be Mother Teresa or Adolph Hitler?

What might help is to lay down some specifics. I'm only working with one Fae character, so anything within the "standard deviation" will be OK as long as it works for story purposes. Background (from the canonical story):
  • The character was once in love with a human and sought a romantic (marriage) relationship.
  • 'The Gods' set a test which had to be passed before such a relationship could be established between worlds.
  • The character (and her partner) failed that test. Her partner was split away into another dimension, never to be seen again.
  • The character later learned that no one else had ever passed that test before, either, and came to the conclusion that the test was rigged.
  • In concert with another disaffected entity, she/they sought...not exactly revenge, but to overturn the established order of deities.
  • She/they failed, but in such a manner that there was reconciliation between the aggrieved parties. However, her personal pain/conflict was not resolved.
  • That resolution entailed another otherworldly couple...a goddess and a human...passing the test which the Fae character failed at. As the canonical story ends, the Fae character is friendly towards the couple which succeeded.

Where I'm going with this character in my fan-fiction story:
  • Unbeknownst to all except the goddess's sisters (and a big surprise to human friends/family who know them and have assumed they've been getting it on for a while), the couple which succeeded has continue to live platonically for (about) a year since the events of the canonical story; they have never once consummated their relationship. Both the human and the goddess are very innocent personalities, and the human just really never worked up the nerve to "pop the question."
  • Events have turned so that their living arrangements for the past three and a half years are ending. The human realizes (with some push from his [female] boss) that it's now or never.
  • The Fae character is one of several beings...both divine and human...which are eavesdropping/spying on the couple as he finally works up the nerve to propose to her.
  • But, at the very moment of her acceptance, again there is a split in reality; this time the goddess is separated from him and from all of her other family/friends...including the Fae character.
  • The Fae character (very!) angrily jumps to the conclusion that, again, the entire setup was rigged and that 'the gods' are to blame. She's (mostly) right about the former, but not about the latter.
  • I'm looking for insight as to emotions/motivations as the Fae character participates (as a bit player; again, she's not central to the story) in the quest to reunite her friends and to oppose the shadowy entity who truly is responsible for that pain...and a lot more besides.
Possibly that info will make a response a little more feasible. I will look into your podcast (after I get some sleep; graveyard shifts again!). Thank you for the pointer to it.

--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:09:28 pm »
The thing is, though, I have little knowledge and no personal experience whatsoever with the Fae. If I'm going to write about such a character, I'd like to do justice to her.

I recall recently reading a post about how Fae behavior in folklore resembles some neurodivergent humans ... I think it was here, but search function is being unhelpful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 02:34:24 am »
What might help is to lay down some specifics. I'm only working with one Fae character, so anything within the "standard deviation" will be OK as long as it works for story purposes.

I feel like you've basically laid this out already. She's inclined to distrust the powers that be, is loyal to those who've earned it, probably gonna wreck some shit. Sounds about right.

You could always just ask out loud for inspiration from the Kindly Ones. No way for that to end badly.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 05:17:47 am »
You could always just ask out loud for inspiration from the Kindly Ones. No way for that to end badly.

I'm not entirely sure as to whether that last sentence was meant with a tinge of sarcasm, but I'll take it from you at face value. Still, I feel much more comfortable addressing such requests "in care of" my own Godhead when I'm not dealing directly with others on a physical level.

Since I have approximately the psychic sensitivity of a rock, I look to other channels for answers to such questions...such as other relevant books, items like Jenett's podcast, and the conversation here. Thanks for participating.
--------Eric H. Bowen

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 10:57:25 pm »

I look to other channels for answers to such questions...such as other relevant books, items like Jenett's podcast, and the conversation here. Thanks for participating.

Really, anything Morgan Daimler has written. They're a recognized expert on this topic and an excellent researcher and writer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: fae