Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Curious symbols: Do they have meaning or simply jibberish?  (Read 4224 times)

WalkonWater

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Curious symbols: Do they have meaning or simply jibberish?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:51 am »
Hello,
I stumbled across this motorcycle gas tank that has odd markings..I did a bit of a search and there were some similarites to Scandinavian Rune and possibly Pagan/Druid.
Again, it might just be jibberish but I think it is fun to investigate..
If anyone has anything to share;  Please do.

Steve
[/IMG]

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Curious symbols: Do they have meaning or simply jibberish?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:22:08 am »
Quote from: WalkonWater;13419

Sorry I know nothing about the markings. I just wanted to say I love the bench/table in the pic..it is gorgeous. :)

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »
Quote from: WalkonWater;13419
Hello,
I stumbled across this motorcycle gas tank that has odd markings..I did a bit of a search and there were some similarites to Scandinavian Rune and possibly Pagan/Druid.
Again, it might just be jibberish but I think it is fun to investigate..

It definitely contains some of the more recognizable Runic symbols, but the one that looks like a 7 with a square? under the top line, what looks like a colon, and the "cross" with the straight bar in the middle are throwing me.

There are a few ancient alphabets that contain some of the same symbols as the Norse Runes (which are in fact an ancient alphabet :) ). I think the ancient Hungarian alphabet is one, but don't quote me on that.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;13568
It definitely contains some of the more recognizable Runic symbols, but the one that looks like a 7 with a square? under the top line, what looks like a colon, and the "cross" with the straight bar in the middle are throwing me.

The colon-like thing is a word-separation convention - mostly modern usage, but IIRC there's some historic precedent.

The one like a 7 - in one occurrence it looks like a square dot separate from the main body, in the other it looks like it could be a short horizontal coming from the main body - might be a variant (and mirror-imaged, which isn't unknown in ancient inscriptions) style of Elder Futhark *ansuz or Anglo-Saxon aesc.  The only thing I can think of for the cross is *naudiz/nyd but with the cross-branch horizontal instead of diagonal - that could fit one variant of a Younger Futhark h, but that gets tangled up in haegl/iar.

A possible EF *hagalaz/AS haegl (two parallel uprights joined by a diagonal) and what's either AS iar or the other variant of YF h (single upright, an acute diagonal, and an oblique diagonal all crossing in the same place) both occur here. That suggests that the rune-set in use here is likely the Anglo-Saxon, or at any rate more AS than anything else, but that makes the cross-like one more difficult to parse.

It's not Tolkien's Cirth (used in LOTR, wholly invented, and doesn't correlate with futharks/futhorcs - as distinct from what's in The Hobbit which are AS runes slightly adapted to represent modern English), nor do any of the other later-invention runesets fit well.

I can't turn it into meaningful words in any runeset I know/can find quickly, whether historic, pseudohistoric, or fictional, and even pronounceability is iffy (what does one make of the third word, which comes out to either "lnun" or "lhuh"? - though that one is Cirth-compliant as "tala").  I'm not expert, though, just a longtime and fairly-well-read hobbyist; a more accomplished runelorist might be able to do more with it - though I doubt if it'd be enough to suss out what it meant to the original owner.

There are a few ancient alphabets that contain some of the same symbols as the Norse Runes (which are in fact an ancient alphabet :) ). I think the ancient Hungarian alphabet is one, but don't quote me on that.

Yep.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:59 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;13674

I can't turn it into meaningful words in any runeset I know/can find quickly, whether historic, pseudohistoric, or fictional, and even pronounceability is iffy (what does one make of the third word, which comes out to either "lnun" or "lhuh"? - though that one is Cirth-compliant as "tala").  I'm not expert, though, just a longtime and fairly-well-read hobbyist; a more accomplished runelorist might be able to do more with it - though I doubt if it'd be enough to suss out what it meant to the original owner.

Yep.

Sunflower

So when I get ready for my refresher course in Runes.....can I come to you when I get stuck? :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:46:24 am by hufflee »
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:24 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;13686
So when I get ready for my refresher course in Runes.....can I come to you when I get stuck? :)

When you get stuck, post in the Asatru & Heathenry SIG.  That way, you'll get not just my input but that of other folks, many of whom do have greater expertise than I do.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:08:40 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;13999
When you get stuck, post in the Asatru & Heathenry SIG.  That way, you'll get not just my input but that of other folks, many of whom do have greater expertise than I do.

Sunflower

Will do. Thanks

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:50 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;14063
Will do. Thanks

Runic alphabet, definitely.

Tags: