Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Anyone here watched the Lifetime "miniseries" The Red Tent?  (Read 2572 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Anyone here watched the Lifetime "miniseries" The Red Tent?
« on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:46 pm »
I know a little bit about the Jacob story but I never realized that there was a story of a red tent where the wives of Jacob and the only daughter Dina/Dena were worshipping a fertility/"period" goddess in secret. I'm sure there's a lot of symbolism here and history related to this that my Sunday School classes would never teach. But I've noticed that supposedly many of the "Jewish/Hebrew" heroes of the Holy Bible were actually followers of what modern Abrahamic believers say are pagan gods and goddesses. Also it seems like you never get to hear the other side of the Hebrews in the bible. Like for example, what did the non-hebrew Baal worshippers think of Moses who criticized them and destroyed their idol? Also since Abrahamic faiths are largely patriarchial, you never really get to hear the female's side of the story like the tv show seemed to do. I also that not all the bible stories have been proved to be true in history so I do wonder what the real writings of the first Hebrew/Semetic people are.
PrincessKLS

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
Re: Anyone here watched the Lifetime "miniseries" The Red Tent?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;167137
I know a little bit about the Jacob story but I never realized that there was a story of a red tent where the wives of Jacob and the only daughter Dina/Dena were worshipping a fertility/"period" goddess in secret.

I haven't seen the miniseries, but I read the book (and a fair amount of the critical analysis and commentary about the book) when it came out.

The short version is that the story in the book is - in the author's own words, a work of fiction. In a biography, she says:  “The Red Tent is not a translation but a work of fiction. Its perspective and focus—by and about the female characters—distinguishes it from the biblical account, in which women are usually peripheral and often totally silent. By giving Dinah a voice and by providing texture and content to the sketchy biblical descriptions, my book is a radical departure from the historical text.”

(Much more about the context can be found at SparkNotes and Wikipedia, both of which have further resources and commentary.)

Specifically: there is no tradition of a red tent in Jewish custom of the time (though something similar was true for other cultures in the area.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:13 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;167139
I haven't seen the miniseries, but I read the book (and a fair amount of the critical analysis and commentary about the book) when it came out.

The short version is that the story in the book is - in the author's own words, a work of fiction. In a biography, she says:  “The Red Tent is not a translation but a work of fiction. Its perspective and focus—by and about the female characters—distinguishes it from the biblical account, in which women are usually peripheral and often totally silent. By giving Dinah a voice and by providing texture and content to the sketchy biblical descriptions, my book is a radical departure from the historical text.”

(Much more about the context can be found at SparkNotes and Wikipedia, both of which have further resources and commentary.)

Specifically: there is no tradition of a red tent in Jewish custom of the time (though something similar was true for other cultures in the area.)

Well is there a non-fiction or study on the Dinah story?
PrincessKLS

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;167137
I know a little bit about the Jacob story but I never realized that there was a story of a red tent where the wives of Jacob and the only daughter Dina/Dena were worshipping a fertility/"period" goddess in secret. I'm sure there's a lot of symbolism here and history related to this that my Sunday School classes would never teach. But I've noticed that supposedly many of the "Jewish/Hebrew" heroes of the Holy Bible were actually followers of what modern Abrahamic believers say are pagan gods and goddesses. Also it seems like you never get to hear the other side of the Hebrews in the bible. Like for example, what did the non-hebrew Baal worshippers think of Moses who criticized them and destroyed their idol? Also since Abrahamic faiths are largely patriarchial, you never really get to hear the female's side of the story like the tv show seemed to do. I also that not all the bible stories have been proved to be true in history so I do wonder what the real writings of the first Hebrew/Semetic people are.

The books has been recommended to me many times, I'd really like to watch this miniseries.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've heard the ancient Hebrews were originally followers of Canaanite polytheism, and became monotheistic to distinguish themselves from their Babylonian oppressors, and follow a single tribal God who would save them from their oppression.

The Bible isn't historical, it's a way of expressing humanity's relationship with God through stories, and those stories probably do not have much basis in historical fact.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 02:06:22 am »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;167221
Well is there a non-fiction or study on the Dinah story?

Are you looking for non-fiction about the story of The Red Tent or commentary on Genesis 34? I know there's a book called Inside the Red Tent for the former, but I haven't read it so I don't know if it's any good. As for the latter, it's mostly debating about whether or not Dinah had any sexual agency at all and it's all really depressing if you think about it too long.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »
Quote from: Jack;167246
Are you looking for non-fiction about the story of The Red Tent or commentary on Genesis 34? I know there's a book called Inside the Red Tent for the former, but I haven't read it so I don't know if it's any good. As for the latter, it's mostly debating about whether or not Dinah had any sexual agency at all and it's all really depressing if you think about it too long.

Either would do just fine.
PrincessKLS

Tags: