Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Request a Book Discussion Topic on a Specific Academic Book  (Read 24735 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Request a Book Discussion Topic on a Specific Academic Book
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:51:01 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;120904

1) Greek and Roman Necromancy
2) Daniel Ogden
3) 0-691-11968-6
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 05:19:47 pm »
I have just received a translation of the Nart Sagas by John Colarusso. These are tales from the northern Caucasus region. The title says Circassians and Abkhazians, but the stories within are shared by other groups like the Ossetians and Nakhs. The term “Nart” actually comes from the Iranic term for “Hero.”

It’s thought that much of the lore within can be traced back to the Ossetians, who are the last remaining Iranic language speakers north of the Caucasus region. They founded a kingdom known as “Alania” that once covered much of the region where the sagas are found today. The Ossetians are a remnant of a vast Iranic language speaking continuum that once stretched throughout modern day Russia, one that we know influenced the Proto-Slavic culture. It will be interesting to see if there are any major parallels hinting at this.

Most academic interest in them currently seems to be based on comparison with Greek mythology and, bizarrely, the Arthurian romances. That last idea seems a bit shaky to me. Allegedly, the Alanic auxiliaries brought in by the Roman Empire could have spread their legends. But considering that our record of the native traditions from Western Europe are patchy, it seems unlikely that the legends of a small group of foreigners would be well-preserved there. The Greek connection makes a lot more sense to me. Anyway, I haven’t started it yet, so we’ll see what I find.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:23:10 pm by Zlote Jablko »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 02:13:34 am »

Hi, Zlote Jablko,

The book-discussion forums are special forums, and have rules different from most of the general discussion forums - most importantly, members don't start threads themselves, but rather request that a thread be started.

I've moved your post into the request thread. Please provide the book information we require before a thread is made (quoted below, from the first post in this request thread).

Thanks,
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

Only staff members can start new book threads on this board as each  thread's first message must be in a very specific format with specific  links used, etc.  If you would like a thread on a specific Academic book  started here, you may request it in this thread.

Each Request must have the following information or it will be ignored:

1) The (correct) title of the book
2) The author of the book
3) The book's ISBN (we prefer the old 10 digit one, but the new 13 digit will do).

Please  don't hide the above in a lot of text in the middle of a paragraph.  Remember, this board is for true academic works, not for popular press  books that sound scholarly. We will try to get new topics started as  soon as the few people authorized to create book topics get around to  it. This will NOT be immediately.
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Zlote Jablko

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Slavic/ PIE Recon
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:04 am »
Hi, Zlote Jablko,

The book-discussion forums are special forums, and have rules different from most of the general discussion forums - most importantly, members don't start threads themselves, but rather request that a thread be started.

I've moved your post into the request thread. Please provide the book information we require before a thread is made (quoted below, from the first post in this request thread).

Thanks,
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff

My mistake. I’ll be more careful posting in new forums.

Please refer to:

1) Nart Sagas: Ancient Myths and Legends of the Circassians and Abkhazians

2) John Colarusso

3) ISBN: 978-0-691-16914-9

Tags: