Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Piercing - rirual and magical  (Read 1699 times)

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Piercing - rirual and magical
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »
I came across the following the other day which has piqued my interest. I've never met anyone other than myself with a daith piercing.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Daith

This obviously isn't a very reputable source but the reference to the guardians of the date and the protective influence of rings  is  very interesting and does answer a few questiions of mine.

I've attended many Hindu ituals in the past ( including some fairly extreme ones - suspension on hooks through the flesh) but it was a long time ago and I was too young to understand what was really going on.

Does anyone have any better sources on some of these Hindu practices and beliefs?

Thanks if you can help

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Piercing - rirual and magical
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:54:26 pm »
Quote from: Vale;52007

Does anyone have any better sources on some of these Hindu practices and beliefs?

Thanks if you can help

Since the day I first explored the tree I have been fascinated with that sort of non-spot-everything-spot on it. have had no time to dig though. Also had no idea of a physical counterpart like this. Interesting!

I don't have anything but Google fu (as I have read it called). I searched for Hindu ritual ordeals and came up with a bunch of different stuff including some of the northern pagan path ordeals. I didn't visit any links but noted that two rituals were in frequent appearance: the Hindu Kavandi ceremony and something called "the ball dances."

There are more devotional ordeal descriptions when I searched the Kavandi ceremony, perhaps that would lead to more sources. At first glance it sounds intense.

It kind of reminds me of Matthew Polly's book about his time with Shaolin monks, American Shaolin, it includes some pics of their "ordeals" but I think for them they seemed more like, devotional feats. Also the some of the stories about the life of Buddha and his ordeals came to mind.

None of that may have helped. Sorry!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 08:20:52 am »
Quote from: Vale;52007
I came across the following the other day which has piqued my interest. I've never met anyone other than myself with a daith piercing.

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Daith

This obviously isn't a very reputable source but the reference to the guardians of the date and the protective influence of rings  is  very interesting and does answer a few questiions of mine.

I've attended many Hindu ituals in the past ( including some fairly extreme ones - suspension on hooks through the flesh) but it was a long time ago and I was too young to understand what was really going on.

Thanks if you can help

I've a book suggestion for you; although it isn't Hindu-specific, Dark Moon Rising by Raven Kaldera contains a lot of information and essays by people on ordeal paths.  I've found it extremely valuable.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;52073

None of that may have helped. Sorry!

On the contrary  - thank you. This has triggered quite a few more memories from what I've seen in the past and I realise why they were repressed. Some of the images and  associated emotions with them are not very pleasant; I was too young and didn't understand what I was seeing. It has obviously left a mark I hadn't noticed.

Looks like I have some work to do as there is probably more buried for me to re-examine from an educated adult perspective and importantly to make some use of in the future :)

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;52098
I've a book suggestion for you; although it isn't Hindu-specific, Dark Moon Rising by Raven Kaldera contains a lot of information and essays by people on ordeal paths.  I've found it extremely valuable.

More thanks  - I've just ordered a copy from Amazon :)

Tags: