Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: How many people in the spotlight are still in the "broom closet"?  (Read 6682 times)

Anord

• View Profile
    • http://www.geeknhack.com
I was thinking of how many people holding office, in hollywood, on tv, etc are Pagan and for the sake of their careers are in the "broom closet". What do ya'll think?
~Anord

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: How many people in the spotlight are still in the "broom closet"?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »
Quote from: Anord;35400
I was thinking of how many people holding office, in hollywood, on tv, etc are Pagan and for the sake of their careers are in the "broom closet". What do ya'll think?

I can't give a number, but I'd suspect its a good number.  Not the majority by any means, but a good number.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:05 pm »

I mean, there's no way to know, really.  Except the way we do it in the queer community:  
"No my friend totally used to hang out with this guy who worked for this doctor?  and she said she was doing a checkup for Dolly Parton one time? and totally caught her making out with her lady friend in the exam room.  For serious.  Gay."  
"Oh my God I had no idea!  I mean, I knew it.  It's so obvious."  
"Right?  It explains so much."  
(fin)

(We shall leave aside "John Travolta caught in gay bathhouse" and "no actually Jodie Foster really finally came out" and "no for actual reals Lana Wachowski is transitioning so just run with it" and so on, because they are easy.)
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;35409

Lol, that was fun to read. :)

To answer the question, I have no idea and wouldn't even try to guess. There could be a lot, or none at all.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

There is no way to tell this.  None.  There can be plenty of suspension, but that's no better than gossip really.  I think many pagans keep their beliefs to themselves, especially if they have anything that might put them in the public's eyes.  Reason being is that there are still a lot of preconceived notions about what being a pagan actually means and what it could do to one's reputation. Additionally, it's not uncommon to hear about the need for secrecy when it comes to this subject perhaps at the request of a coven/group/temple/what-have-you.  Even if a person may seem like they could be in the "broom closet" because they are perhaps extra interested in tolerance of pagan ideas, that would still be supposition on anyone else's part.

Personally, I couldn't care less on who, or how many, people are in the closet on this matter.  It's a private matter between themselves and their spiritual practice.  I'd just as soon they NOT broadcast it because I highly doubt our society (at least here in America) is ready to discuss the matter in a mature fashion.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;35463
Personally, I couldn't care less on who, or how many, people are in the closet on this matter.  It's a private matter between themselves and their spiritual practice.  I'd just as soon they NOT broadcast it because I highly doubt our society (at least here in America) is ready to discuss the matter in a mature fashion.

Yup.  In America we're stuck on the whole Pagan=Satanic fallacy.  A famous person who 'came out' as Pagan would likely be committing career suicide.  Or worse: you'd have a star 'come out' as a total loon (think Tom Cruise on a couch) and cast a poor light on his/her tradition.  
Hell, this country is barely able to accept gay stars.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Malkin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;35493
Yup.  In America we're stuck on the whole Pagan=Satanic fallacy.  A famous person who 'came out' as Pagan would likely be committing career suicide.  Or worse: you'd have a star 'come out' as a total loon (think Tom Cruise on a couch) and cast a poor light on his/her tradition.  
Hell, this country is barely able to accept gay stars.

There was a guy in the CIA who was a member of the Temple of Set during the whole Satanic Panic craze. His name is Michael Aquino, if I'm not mistaken. He came out at work and explained his beliefs, and it's largely because of him that the government never had a clumsy crack down on occult groups in the US. (Also, Reagan thought Aquino's religion was awesome; he asked him to come to White House dinners in his ritual robes!) So that worked out pretty well for him, and for the rest of us.

There are plenty of rock stars who are subtle and not-so-subtle about their occult practices, like Zepplin and Bowie. (Or Tool, to be a bit more contemporary.) The writer William S. Burroughs was quite open about his magical practices. (Bowie used Burroughs' "cut-up" method to write many of his early songs.) A few actors have admitted to occult interests; Christopher Lee is supposed to have an impressive library of occult works, and Nicolas Cage says he makes a lot of his fantasy movies precisely because of his fascination with the occult. (He says he used his visit to Merlin's Cave below Tintagel Castle as motivation for his role in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice.")

As for out-and-out polytheists, there is a Heathen city council member in New York, Dan Halloran. While I've heard of other pagans running for local office in various states, I think Halloran's the only one to succeed so far. (And he faces his own challenges.) Clearly, the type of work that you do affects how open one can be about these things. Unless you're as deliriously wealthy as Shirley McClaine.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:55:40 pm »

To be blunt, my stance on supposedly broom closeted celebrities is exactly the same as my stance on regular closeted celebrities:  Nobody's business but their own and good for them for trying to maintain a private life when the press is constantly following them around.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »

This is interesting to think about, but because of the sheer fact that they are in the broom closet means we'll never really know. I like to think there are some. As for famous people that are openly Pagan, there is Sully Erna - lead singer of Godsmack, who has studied with Laurie Cabbot. And Fairuza Balk - most famous for her role in, ironically, The Craft, and Water Boy.
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
Quote from: SkylarB;36076
And Fairuza Balk - most famous for her role in, ironically, The Craft, and Water Boy.

I think, I could be wrong but I *think* she was Wiccan/Pagan (can't recall which) prior to do the film. Not gonna lie that flick is totally a guilty pleasure it's so silly.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
How many people in the spotlight are still in the "broom closet"?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:51:22 am »
Quote from: Asch;36135
I think, I could be wrong but I *think* she was Wiccan/Pagan (can't recall which) prior to do the film. Not gonna lie that flick is totally a guilty pleasure it's so silly.

Apparently she owned a Pagan shop in LA for a while. Cybill Shepherd also has been pretty open about her goddess worship.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

thetaurus

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 04:43:49 am »

I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2,482.
I'm feeling confident about this... :-)

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 11:22:13 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;36139
Apparently she owned a Pagan shop in LA for a while. Cybill Shepherd also has been pretty open about her goddess worship.

Olympia Dukakis?  I heard that somwhere.  

supposedly there was an expert that worked with them on the craft so that it wouldn't be nearly as silly as it could have been
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 03:56:26 pm »
Quote from: SkylarB;36076
This is interesting to think about, but because of the sheer fact that they are in the broom closet means we'll never really know. I like to think there are some. As for famous people that are openly Pagan, there is Sully Erna - lead singer of Godsmack, who has studied with Laurie Cabbot. And Fairuza Balk - most famous for her role in, ironically, The Craft, and Water Boy.

Among relatively famous names of Urban Fantasy writers, add in Cate Tiernan- if you read her novels, she writes witchcraft and Wicca like only a wiccan would be able to.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »
Quote from: thetaurus;36813
I'm going to stick my neck out and say 2,482.
I'm feeling confident about this... :-)

You've got my vote.:)

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags: