Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Favorite Discworld books?  (Read 7862 times)

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Discworld books?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:49 am »
Quote from: Juni;4583
So, what are your favorites?

Of the wizard books...The Last Continent.

Of the DEATH books...Hogfather.

Of the Vimes books...Jingo.

Of the witch books...I like them all, but Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are up there.

Of the Tiffany Aching books...also generally like them, but Wintersmith stands out.

Others...Thief of Time, Monstrous Regiment, Small Gods, The Truth.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:27:03 am by treekisser »

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Favorite Discworld books?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:29 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;4584
Hope you find some you enjoy :D

I forgot to mention - it's not a discworld book, it's a collaboration with Neil Gaimen but Good Omens is high up my list of favourite books by any author

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:44:42 am »
Quote from: Finn;4711
Gosh.

I think it has to be Night Watch. The Watch series are my favorites. Mainly because of Sam Vimes.

Night watch,
And "the one where vimes goes to the dwarves and ends up reciting "wheres my cow" in a VERY loud voice"

I wish I was better with titles.

... "THUD"
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

Inca

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 09:17:02 am »

Small Gods and Night Watch are the ones I like most. As series go, I like the Watch-books most. (While I like the Witches and Death as characters, the stories speak just a bit less to me. The wizards are light fun.)

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:19:04 am »
Quote from: comW;4796
Night watch,
And "the one where vimes goes to the dwarves and ends up reciting "wheres my cow" in a VERY loud voice"

I wish I was better with titles.

... "THUD"

Oh Thud! Can't believe I forgot that. I even bought the 'Where's My Cow' book because of it. ;)

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:19 pm »
Quote from: comW;4796
Night watch,

Thud! was one of the Discworld books that literally left me breathless.

That scene was so amazing. WHERE'S MY COW! :D
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 09:00:25 am »
Quote from: Finn;4819
Thud! was one of the Discworld books that literally left me breathless.

That scene was so amazing. WHERE'S MY COW! :D

Oh yay! So glad I'm not the only one totally in love with the Watch books! :D

I think Night Watch is maybe my absolute favorite - I've read it three or four times, and it still gets me swinging between hysterical laughter and sobs (which is my kind of book :)). That was actually the book that got me hooked on Pratchett to begin with - I'd read a few of the earlier Wizard-focused ones, and they were okay and amusing, but not astounding or anything. I'd say Night Watch (and some of the other Watch books, like Thud and Jingo) are astounding. I think I also like that they tend to deal a bit more with questions like justice and such, but in typical Pratchett style.

Other than the Watch books, I think the Witches books are my second favorite (including the Tiffany Aching series). Granny Weatherwax kicks some major ass - I aspire to be that kind of old lady when I grow up. ;) Plus, what's so satisfying in the Witch books is how Prachett manages to make fun of "fluffy bunny" types while still showing enormous sympathy and subtlety for those characters. It's those kinds of books that make me think he must have at least a few Pagan fans keeping him in line and letting him know what the real stuff's all about. ;)

--Ali

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Favorite Discworld books?
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:13 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;4603
Any where the Witches, Death or Susan take centre stage.

Is it weird that Lord Vetinari is one of my favourite characters? :)

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
I want to read more of Discworld, but my normal method of starting with the first and reading chronologically did not work particularly well. I can't recall offhand the name of the first Discworld novel, but I do remember not liking it much.

So far I've read Small Gods and Pyramids; I liked the former quite a bit, and liked the latter well enough.

It's impossible, for me anyway, to pick a favorite book, but maybe you should come at it from another angle.  What was it you really liked about Small Gods?  If you like that it had a more philosophical bent, pretty much all of them from Reaper Man on are like that.  In fact, I really love all of the ones that're after Reaper Man if they're part of one of the serieses.  

The Wizard books tend to be more funny, and the Death and Witches and Watch ones (post-Reaper Man, anyway) tend to be more serious, with the Moist ones somewhere between.  I must admit, though, when it comes to the one-offs Small Gods is the exception to the rule; most of them are nowhere near as good.  I kinda liked The Truth, and even so have to admit that (The Patrician/Tyrant of Ankh-Morpork) Vetinari's small roll was the highlight of it.  Well, that and the vibe of Ankh-Morpork, and the feeling of walking around the place as a stranger to it.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;5425

Ah, dude, me too!  I adore Vetinari.  

Although the Luggage, Rincewind, Death, Carrot and Vimes sometimes give him a run for his money, none of them ever quite edge out his exquisite awesome.  Oh, and the Feegles, of course, but everybody loves them.  I think if he were able to write enough more of them for us all to really get to know them, Moist and Adora Belle would be up there, too.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Adele

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 07:52:58 pm »
I want to read more of Discworld, but my normal method of starting with the first and reading chronologically did not work particularly well. I can't recall offhand the name of the first Discworld novel, but I do remember not liking it much.

So far I've read Small Gods and Pyramids; I liked the former quite a bit, and liked the latter well enough.

Death, hands down is my favorite character to read about although it's a tie between the witches (I have Nanny Ogg's cookbook) or the Night Watch for second place. There is something about Vimes and Co. that I really enjoy.

So, Hogfather and Reaper Man for Death, Feet of Clay and Guards! Guards! for the Night Watch, and Carpe Jugulum and Maskerade for the Witches.

I like me some Terry Pratchett stories.:)

Adele

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;5425

I like Lord Vetinari quite a bit myself but he's second fiddle to Granny Weatherwax for me.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 10:12:57 pm »

I've only read a few, but of the ones I've read I like Mort, Reaper Man, and Carpe Jugulum. Reaper Man was even quoted during one of my favourite shows: Criminal Minds

Someone already mentioned it, but Good Omens (co-authored with Neil Gaiman) is probably my favourite book of all time.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 12:50:10 am »

I liked Equal Rites because it featured a female wizard that was trying to pretend to be a witch, or thinking that she was a witch because she was a girl. Granny Weatherwax was great in that book, especially when she was talking to a tree that use to be a wizard. Great story and I'm sad that Terry didn't do another book with her.

FollowerofOdin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 12:54:55 am »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;5410
Oh yay! So glad I'm not the only one totally in love with the Watch books! :D

I think Night Watch is maybe my absolute favorite - I've read it three or four times, and it still gets me swinging between hysterical laughter and sobs (which is my kind of book :)). That was actually the book that got me hooked on Pratchett to begin with - I'd read a few of the earlier Wizard-focused ones, and they were okay and amusing, but not astounding or anything. I'd say Night Watch (and some of the other Watch books, like Thud and Jingo) are astounding. I think I also like that they tend to deal a bit more with questions like justice and such, but in typical Pratchett style.

Other than the Watch books, I think the Witches books are my second favorite (including the Tiffany Aching series). Granny Weatherwax kicks some major ass - I aspire to be that kind of old lady when I grow up. ;) Plus, what's so satisfying in the Witch books is how Prachett manages to make fun of "fluffy bunny" types while still showing enormous sympathy and subtlety for those characters. It's those kinds of books that make me think he must have at least a few Pagan fans keeping him in line and letting him know what the real stuff's all about. ;)

--Ali

There's another book called "I Shall Wear Midnight' which is another Tiffany Aching book bringing the number in that series up to four.

Tags: