Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Author Topic: Guessing at an unknown spell  (Read 6031 times)

Nixie

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Guessing at an unknown spell
« on: December 14, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
Hello,

A friend of mine just came home from over seas to find that his wife left him for another man. She put all his stuff in storage and moved out with the other man. When we got into the storage we found 3 black candles, a white candle in the southweast part of the storage, and a symbol in Epson salt.

He is sure she is trying to curse him but I have no idea what it means.

If anyone has any ideas to shed some light I would be thankful
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:13:29 pm by Nixie »

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Guessing at an unknown spell
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:18 pm »
Quote from: Nixie;34731
Hello,

A friend of mine just came home from over seas to find that his wife left him for another man. She put all his stuff in storage and moved out with the other man. When we got into the storage we found 3 black candles, a white candle in the southweast part of the storage, and a symbol in Epson salt.

He is sure she is trying to curse him but I have no idea what it means.

Any idea what the symbol drawn looked like?
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:41 am »

Without seeing the symbol, I have no idea. Even with the symbol, it might not be obvious. However, assuming a curse is jumping to conclusions. There are all sorts of types of spells that might make sense in the circumstances you describe and not all of them are curses.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:06:18 am »
Quote from: RandallS;34816
Without seeing the symbol, I have no idea. Even with the symbol, it might not be obvious. However, assuming a curse is jumping to conclusions. There are all sorts of types of spells that might make sense in the circumstances you describe and not all of them are curses.

Agreed.
On both.

It might as well be a separation spell, or a spell that he won't come after her and let go.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 10:35:53 am »
Quote from: Tana;34822
Agreed.
On both.

It might as well be a separation spell, or a spell that he won't come after her and let go.

Or it may have not been an actual spell and she was just trying to scare him away.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 10:54:29 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;34823
Or it may have not been an actual spell and she was just trying to scare him away.

*nods* Also an option.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:04:01 pm »
When we got into the storage we found 3 black candles, a white candle in the southweast part of the storage, and a symbol in Epson salt.

Salt is usually used in spells of protection or purification. It seems odd that one would use salt to draw a symbol for a curse.

It also seems odd that she would leave the spell materials where he would find them. All she would need to do a spell involving him is one of his belongings, like a sock even, and she could have easily kept one and done the spell where he wouldn't be able to find it or interfere.

The fact that the 'spell' materials were left where he could find them makes me think she was probably just trying to scare him.

Nixie

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;34880
Salt is usually used in spells of protection or purification. It seems odd that one would use salt to draw a symbol for a curse.

It also seems odd that she would leave the spell materials where he would find them. All she would need to do a spell involving him is one of his belongings, like a sock even, and she could have easily kept one and done the spell where he wouldn't be able to find it or interfere.

The fact that the 'spell' materials were left where he could find them makes me think she was probably just trying to scare him.

The symbol was a circle with a line through it. I don't know what way the line was going, it was dark and he swept it away before I could get a good look at it.

I know that white candles can be used to replace other colors. I told him that without knowing just what she was thinking we may never know but he is upset. I think if we had a clearer answer for what this ritual might be he would relax.

The statements about the salt and her leaving the items behind is true. I think this will make him feel better. I want to suggest maybe casting some spells of our own against curses so he feels protected but without knowing what curse. Maybe there is a general protection spell?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:53:07 pm »
Quote from: Nixie;34884

So obviously he is scared of witchcraft and I bet she knew it?
That raises the chances for the whole thing just being set up to mess with his mind.

As for bringing peace of mind for your friend, he might want to get himself some Protection candle/smudging. Lucky Mojo's got good stuff.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:56:10 pm by Tana »

Nixie

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »
Quote from: Tana;34887
So obviously he is scared of witchcraft and I bet she knew it?
That raises the chances for the whole thing just being set up to mess with his mind.

As for bringing peace of mind for your friend, he might want to get himself some Protection candle/smudging. Lucky Mojo's got good stuff.

It is not that that he is scared of witchcraft. He is just up set that his wife would do such a horrable thing to him, let alone do it while he is serving our country over seas. He doesn't trust her or anything she does now. He will work through it.

I will look into getting him some things. Thankyou for your help.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »
Quote from: Nixie;34884
The statements about the salt and her leaving the items behind is true. I think this will make him feel better. I want to suggest maybe casting some spells of our own against curses so he feels protected but without knowing what curse. Maybe there is a general protection spell?

There are lots of general protection spells and they work fine. This is why effective cursing is hard, protection spells are easy to find and easy to do. Heck, if the guy is strongly religious, praying for protection is often enough to block the average "curse".
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Nixie

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 03:58:04 am »
Quote from: RandallS;34930
There are lots of general protection spells and they work fine. This is why effective cursing is hard, protection spells are easy to find and easy to do. Heck, if the guy is strongly religious, praying for protection is often enough to block the average "curse".

He is a doctor in the army and just spent over a year in Afghanistan so he, his family, our friends and I all pray to our gods and goddesses for his protection on a regular basis. I know my gods and goddesses have protected him.

He is the one that introduced his wife to the pagan path and to magic. She uses it in very self serving ways. I know his beliefes and path are much stronger than hers. What ever that spell was I don't think it will have any power behind it. I was just hoping to find out what spell it could have been. At this point I want to do what ever I can to help him through this and make him feel better.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Guessing at an unknown spell
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:23:56 am »

In European traditions, yes. But in Spanish, "salaciones" (saltings) are generally curses.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;34993
In European traditions, yes. But in Spanish, "salaciones" (saltings) are generally curses.

Good to know! In my readings on Hoodoo, I have seen salt used as purification, but other materials used for curses.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »

Considering the "Protection" angle, the fact that things were in storage would make it sound to me like a spell to protect the belongings.  Though if they were all HIS, that might not make much sense.

A line bisecting a circle might well be a symbol of separation.  Like cutting the wedding ring in half.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Tags: