Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Interested in Participating in a TC Book Club?  (Read 5922 times)

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Interested in Participating in a TC Book Club?
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:26:54 am »
I have been thinking about starting a group. I would like to know if there is an intrest out there on having a book group that functions like a reading club.

For book choices each month would be a different genre, all participants will offer up a title/author selection, and I will then use a randome generator to pick the book.

There will be a group of the same questions for each book such as;
Did you like it? Why? Why not? Would you recomned it? Will you read more by this author/subject matter?

Then depending on the book, other questions will be asked such as;
What did you think of the research? Who was the most interstin character? Did the setting seem real to you? Ect.

So if you have any intrest in a group like this let me know and I will set something up.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:37:08 pm by RandallS »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Book Group
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:01:38 am »
Quote from: Wood Rose;26894
I have been thinking about starting a group. I would like to know if there is an intrest out there on having a book group that functions like a reading club.

If there is enough interest, this might be better handled as a Special topic discussion or even as full SIG than as a social group. So if you think there is enough interest, talk to me (or someone on senior staff) first. Thanks!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:53:57 am »
Quote from: RandallS;26907
If there is enough interest, this might be better handled as a Special topic discussion or even as full SIG than as a social group. So if you think there is enough interest, talk to me (or someone on senior staff) first. Thanks!

Thanks Randall, I will do that.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:53:57 pm »

For book choices each month would be a different genre, all participants will offer up a title/author selection, and I will then use a randome generator to pick the book.

Did you like it? Why? Why not? Would you recomned it? Will you read more by this author/subject matter?

What did you think of the research? Who was the most interstin character? Did the setting seem real to you? Ect.

So if you have any intrest in a group like this let me know and I will set something up.

I actually was thinking of trying to restart the old TC Book Club myself when/if there was enough interest and I was less busy.  We actually had a long discussion of it in the Site Assistants folder back on the old board.  I think the main reasons it didn't work in the past was due to falling interests and it wasn't well organized.  It's a shame you don't have access to that thread, it has some very good ideas in it.  I think most of them came from a member (Koi?) that is/was active in RL book clubs.

To echo Randall, the social discussion groups are not really set up for something like this (for example, there isn't a way to lock threads that I know of) so a Special Topic Discussion or a SIG (the best option of all) would be better.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 05:27:27 pm »

I forgot to mention that even if we set it up as a SIG or a series of Special Topic Discussions, you can still run it if you want to. The only difference would be it would be on the main board instead of in the social group area.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:23 pm »

I would be interested.

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:22 pm »
Quote from: Shadow;27286
I would be interested.

Me too:D: But I think more than two or three are needed. But that might be enough to start something.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:22:16 pm »
Quote from: Wood Rose;27304
Me too:D: But I think more than two or three are needed. But that might be enough to start something.

Maybe if we re-titled this thread "TC Book Club" it would gather more interest?  We've had something like this many times in the past (the real problem comes in sustaining one), and those who were involved back then may be interested again.

If you want, I can give you a summary of some of the better ideas that were suggested the last time we discussed starting it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:11 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;27307
Maybe if we re-titled this thread "TC Book Club" it would gather more interest?

I'll do (something like) that.  I'll make it a question.
Randall

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in Participating in a TC Book Club?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

Thanks

Sure. I'd like it
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:35:31 am »

Thanks

I'd be up for it...after Nov I should even have the funds to acquire books as needed :D
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »

Thanks

I'm interested. This is a real reason to get a library card. :D: (The last reason being that my mom wanted to steal it to use for her Kindle in Texas.)
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »
Maybe if we re-titled this thread "TC Book Club" it would gather more interest?

It caught my eye. :)

I'd be interested in joining a TC book club! Especially if we got to vote on, say our top three favorites from the suggested list, instead of randomizing the selection- that way we'd know the level of interest.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »
Maybe if we re-titled this thread "TC Book Club" it would gather more interest?  We've had something like this many times in the past (the real problem comes in sustaining one), and those who were involved back then may be interested again.

If you want, I can give you a summary of some of the better ideas that were suggested the last time we discussed starting it.

Mel I would love a summary of some of the ideas. As for the title, I have never ever been good at titles. So Thank you.

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;27353
I'll do (something like) that.  I'll make it a question.

Thank you Randall I am so bad at titles that when I was in college I made my sister come up with the ones for my papers.

Tags: