Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2016  (Read 10360 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2016
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Tuesday, December 20, 2016, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
 A bitter chill is in the air
 The sun departs, and with it goes
 A fruitful season free of woes
 As winter’s icy grip takes hold
 The sleeping landscape to enfold
 Many hours of dark must pass
 Before the sun returns at last
 To make its long-awaited climb
 With promise of a flowering time
 Until that hour, let dark prevail
 Greet longest night with strong wassail
 Sing and dance, feast and drink
 Or solemnly reflect and think
 From strange and hidden wells partake
 With one rule only: Stay awake!
 From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
 Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:00:02 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200239

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

This year's non-theme--inspiration for what to post, which can be completely ignored if you want to post something completely different (hence the "non" in "non-theme")--is:

Making it through dark times

Interpret that as you will!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200239
The night beginning at sunset on Tuesday, December 20, 2016

North and South Americans, don't be fooled! Even though I'm opening the thread on Monday night (for us), that's just so that it's ripe and ready for anyone on the eastern rim of the world--Aussies, New Zealanders, and the like--for whom Tuesday night will come soon, to post away.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:50:50 am »
Quote from: Altair;200244
North and South Americans, don't be fooled! Even though I'm opening the thread on Monday night (for us), that's just so that it's ripe and ready for anyone on the eastern rim of the world--Aussies, New Zealanders, and the like--for whom Tuesday night will come soon, to post away.

Here are sunset and sunrise times for some major cities in those 'eastern rim' locations - they're not necessarily 'places where Cauldronites are' (much less 'where people we know are participating in UAN are'), since I don't always know people's exact locations, but I've chosen which to include based on what info I do have. I'm posting these immediately, because Auckland's sunset time is less than two hours from now.

Auckland 2039 hrs / 0558 hrs NZDT
Wellington 2053 hrs / 0544 hrs NZDT

Sydney 2005 hrs / 0541 hrs AEDT
Melbourne 2041 hrs AEDT / 0555 hrs AEDT
Brisbane 1842 hrs / 0450 hrs AEST
Adelaide 2028 hrs / 0558 hrs ACDT
Perth 1922 hrs / 0507 hrs AWST

Manila 1723 hrs / 0616 hrs PHT

Kuala Lumpur 1909 hrs / 0713 hrs MYT

I'll follow this up in a bit with a similar list for less-easterly locations, or you can look up your own on SunriseSunset or timeanddate.com (or get fancy/geeky about it at USNO Data Services, where you can do things like making a sunrise/sunset table for your exact latitude and longitude for the whole year).

Sunflower
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:56:24 am by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:15:29 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200263
I'll follow this up in a bit with a similar list for less-easterly locations, or you can look up your own on SunriseSunset or timeanddate.com (or get fancy/geeky about it at USNO Data Services, where you can do things like making a sunrise/sunset table for your exact latitude and longitude for the whole year).

Hahaha...I thought I was the only nerd who hit up USNO for data tables!

Local sunset for me is 15:16 or thereabouts. I'll set an alert on my phone to come check in for the start of my evening.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:51:56 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200263
Here are sunset and sunrise times....

Sunflower

Thanks, Sunflower! I'd been meaning to do this, and I'm delighted to see you've beaten me to the punch.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 06:59:57 am »
Quote from: Allaya;200264
Hahaha...I thought I was the only nerd who hit up USNO for data tables!

Nope - I even made use of the USNO site so as to get the proper info for a specific small Canadian location , though mostly I've been using timeanddate.com.

Here's the rest of them except for the US; someone else will have to do those, because I need to go to bed.

Helsinki 1513 hrs / 0924 hrs EET
Stockholm 1448 hrs / 0844 hrs CET
Oslo 1512 hrs /  0918 hrs CET
Bergen 1529 hrs / 0945 hrs CET
Copenhagen 1538 hrs / 0837 hrs CET

Vienna 1603 hrs / 0743 hrs CET
Graz 1611 hrs / 0742 hrs CET

Berlin 1554 hrs / 0815 hrs CET
Frankfurt 1625 hrs / 0822 hrs CET

Utrecht 1629 hrs / 0846 hrs CET
Rotterdam 1633 hrs / 0848 hrs CET

Madrid 1751 hrs / 0835 hrs CET
Valencia 1741 hrs / 0818 hrs CET

London 1553 hrs / 0804 hrs GMT
Manchester 1551 hrs / 0823 hrs GMT
Leeds 1546 hrs / 0822 hrs GMT
Cardiff 1606 hrs / 0816 hrs GMT
Edinburgh 1539 hrs / 0842 hrs GMT
Glasgow 1544 hrs / 0846 hrs GMT
Belfast 1559 hrs / 0844 hrs GMT
Dublin 1608 hrs / 0838 hrs GMT
Cork 1625 hrs / 0839 hrs GMT

Lisbon 1718 hrs / 0751 hrs WET

Buenos Aires 2006 hrs / 0538 hrs ART

St John’s 1612 hrs / 0746 hrs NST
Fredericton 1644 hrs / 0806 hrs AST
Montreal 1613 hrs / 0732 hrs EST
Ottawa 1622 hrs / 0740 hrs EST
Toronto 1643 hrs / 0748 hrs EST
Hamilton 1647 hrs / 0749 hrs EST
Winnipeg 1629 hrs / 0824 hrs CST
Saskatoon 1656 hrs / 0913 hrs CST
Calgary 1631 hrs / 0838 hrs MST
Edmonton 1616 hrs / 0849 hrs MST
Kamloops 1558 hrs / 0801 hrs PST
Fort Langley 1614 hrs / 0803 hrs PST
Vancouver 1616 hrs / 0805 hrs PST
Whitehorse 1547 hrs / 1010 hrs PST

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 07:56:45 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200271

Here's the rest of them except for the US; someone else will have to do those

I'm scrambling this morning, but here's sunset/sunrise for NYC:

4:31 pm / 7:17 am

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:20:04 am »
Quote from: Altair;200275

Well, It's sundown here although still light enough to see. We're out catching pokemon downtown. I suspect that is how my husband and I will get thru the rest of gloomy winter.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:47:01 am »
Quote from: Allaya;200276
Well, It's sundown here although still light enough to see. We're out catching pokemon downtown. I suspect that is how my husband and I will get thru the rest of gloomy winter.

Our first report of the coming darkness! Thanks, Allaya

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 10:21:07 am »
Quote from: Altair;200277
Our first report of the coming darkness! Thanks, Allaya

My pleasure! We've come home after the south wind became a bit too much when combined with the cold and the humidity. It's well and truly dark outside now.

I've set my LED pillar candles alight for the longest night.

Our newly purchased and fantastically gaudy white and silver tree was set up and fluffed out the other day, so it's all ready to go. This is the first year I've had a fake tree since getting married...mainly because it's also the first year of having a pet that is entirely too interested in trees and ornaments. I'm not sure what we've got in the way of non-glass and non-straw decorations, so this will certainly be interesting.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:07 am »
Quote from: Allaya;200279
My pleasure! We've come home after the south wind became a bit too much when combined with the cold and the humidity. It's well and truly dark outside now.

I've set my LED pillar candles alight for the longest night.

Our newly purchased and fantastically gaudy white and silver tree was set up and fluffed out the other day, so it's all ready to go. This is the first year I've had a fake tree since getting married...mainly because it's also the first year of having a pet that is entirely too interested in trees and ornaments. I'm not sure what we've got in the way of non-glass and non-straw decorations, so this will certainly be interesting.

Sunset time here, I'm making coffee and lighting candles
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:32:57 am »
Quote from: Morrigans Daughter;200281
Sunset time here, I'm making coffee and lighting candles

Wales falls to darkness! Thanks for the report, MD

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 11:38:31 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;200271

Here's the rest of them except for the US

More U.S. sunset/sunrise times for Cauldronite locations (or thereabouts):

Boston, MA
4:14 pm / 7:10 am

Greer, SC
5:21 pm / 7:33 am

Columbus, OH
5:10 pm / 7:50 am

Houston, TX
5:26 pm / 7:13 am

San Francisco, CA
4:54 pm / 7:22 am

San Diego, CA
4:47 pm / 6:47 am

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 01:16:20 pm »
Quote from: Altair;200275

Quote from: Altair;200283
More U.S. sunset/sunrise times for Cauldronite locations (or thereabouts):

Boston, MA
4:14 pm / 7:10 am

It's interesting that Boston and NYC are (seemingly) so close and yet there's actually a full 15 minutes between sundown times. And I'm almost directly between them and my weather app says sundown is 4:25.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tags: