Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Celts & Hollywood  (Read 2994 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
The Celts & Hollywood
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:10:22 am »
After watching several movies with The Celts depicted in them such as, The Eagle, Centurion, Prince of Thieves, King Aurthur. It always seems that they never depict them as they were historically. I just wish they would make a film once, that shows the Celts in a more historical role. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: The Celts & Hollywood
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:19:22 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42279
After watching several movies with The Celts depicted in them such as, The Eagle, Centurion, Prince of Thieves, King Aurthur. It always seems that they never depict them as they were historically. I just wish they would make a film once, that shows the Celts in a more historical role. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Good luck finding a historically accurate movie! I'm still reeling from how they depicted the Norse on Pathfinder!:mad: Lol

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:25:05 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42280
Good luck finding a historically accurate movie! I'm still reeling from how they depicted the Norse on Pathfinder!:mad: Lol
Those two groups the Vikings & Celts always get depicted as bloodthirsty savages bent on death and destruction.

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:32:09 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42283
Those two groups the Vikings & Celts always get depicted as bloodthirsty savages bent on death and destruction.

Very true. People lump them together a lot as well, but in fact the two cultures have seriously different ways of life. But hey, ignorance isn't picky!

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:02:27 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42284
Very true. People lump them together a lot as well, but in fact the two cultures have seriously different ways of life. But hey, ignorance isn't picky!
They probably lump them together because they had so much contact with each other.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:37:43 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42287
They probably lump them together because they had so much contact with each other.

I think they both represent the barbarian 'other' against which our Christianized civilization had to struggle to establish its dominance. They are the noble savage.

While I would prefer accuracy - I think films like Rob Roy at least make a good effort - I have to confess that I very much enjoy the depiction of the bloody-minded Celts. It's a counterweight to the dreamy, mystical woo that so often accompanies the idea of 'celticism' in modern neo-paganism.

With regard to Pathfinder: if you haven't ever seen it, find the original, aka Ofelas. It's a totally different story, and beautifully done.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 07:38:29 am by cigfran »

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 01:33:55 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42283

There were a few things in The Eagle that I appreciated: The hints at the hypocrisy of Rome, for instance, and that much of the uglier "savage" acts of the Celts were in direct response to the actions of Rome, and more out of desperation than "We are horrible evil people."

I thought the depiction of the Celts as looking like the stereotypical image of Native Americans, what with the hair style and the form of dress, was quite odd.  I did enjoy that they were actually speaking at least some form of Gaelic, though.  And the image of the chieftain in his Cernunnos/Horned God attire was pretty cool.

But apart from that, they really didn't feel Celtic at all.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 03:09:57 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;42280

I really really really wanted to like that movie........ I watched it probably 5 times trying to find some redeeming quality other than the violence.

I gave up.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 04:00:38 am »
Quote from: Fagan_the_Pagan;42363
There were a few things in The Eagle that I appreciated: The hints at the hypocrisy of Rome, for instance, and that much of the uglier "savage" acts of the Celts were in direct response to the actions of Rome, and more out of desperation than "We are horrible evil people."

I thought the depiction of the Celts as looking like the stereotypical image of Native Americans, what with the hair style and the form of dress, was quite odd.  I did enjoy that they were actually speaking at least some form of Gaelic, though.  And the image of the chieftain in his Cernunnos/Horned God attire was pretty cool.

But apart from that, they really didn't feel Celtic at all.
One part of The Eagle was that the Brigantes slave was speaking Gaelic, and at that time the Celts of Britain would have been speaking Brythonic not Gaelic, even the Scottish tribes. So I pondered why they just didn't have them speak Welsh.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:36:51 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42370
One part of The Eagle was that the Brigantes slave was speaking Gaelic, and at that time the Celts of Britain would have been speaking Brythonic not Gaelic, even the Scottish tribes. So I pondered why they just didn't have them speak Welsh.

Wouldn't hey have been speaking Pictish? Or were they too far south for that?

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;42404
Wouldn't hey have been speaking Pictish? Or were they too far south for that?
Pictish is an archaic form of Brythonic. But most of the other Scottish tribes spoke a form of Brythonic or Brittonic Celtic language  until the Gaels started colonizing the Western parts of Scotland in the late 5th century.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:07:09 pm by Celtag »

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:47:40 am »
Quote from: Celtag;42444
Pictish is an archaic form of Brythonic. But most of the other Scottish tribes spoke a form of Brythonic or Brittonic Celtic language  until the Gaels started colonizing the Western parts of Scotland in the late 5th century.

Yea, it'll be hard to find a mostly historic accurate film since there's no real general consensus on what that would consist of, so writers kind of sub with their own twists.

I appreciate even the contemporary attempt to use language by converting it to regional surviving cultures. I think a combination of Old Irish&Welsh was used in King Arthur. I liked The Eagle because I could understand a lot of the Scots Gaelic, and picked up on the little boys Irish Belfast accent lol. Gaelic was subbed, but I like the choice because it related more to the modern land. Pictish was actually distinct from Brythonic and Goidelic languages in its own category. There probably would have been more Brythonic influences, but the Picts where in the north of Ireland, and the Irish in Britain as well (tribal migration between the two has always occurred, we're only 12 miles apart)  before the Irish Dál Riata colonised Scotland, but they just didn't have as big of an impact or influence as local tribes.
Semper Fidelis

Tags: