How should we organise the exchange?

ound robin style
1 (20%)
ircular mailing
0 (0%)
ame as the other exchanges
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Prayer Bead Exchange  (Read 13516 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Prayer Bead Exchange
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 05:53:45 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;14714
2)  We can explore the idea of doing a prayer bead exchange as one of the non-Imbolc festival exchanges.  Maybe it would make sense to link this project to whichever festival we've assigned to the concept of smithcraft.

We've assigned smithcraft to Lughnassagh so that would mean waiting until next year. We can certainly do that if more people would be interested in taking part at that time. The other thing to consider though is something I think you mentioned elsewhere - not everyone in the Cill might be into beading so we don't want to risk shutting someone out of the whole Cill exchange because of that. I think it's definitely worth some discussion though so I'll post the question in the general exchange thread as soon as I get a chance.

Aster Breo

• View Profile
Re: Prayer Bead Exchange
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 02:49:56 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;15018

You make excellent points, Rocquelaire.

To be honest, I don't really have a strong preference.  I love beading, and I'd like to try another set of prayer beads, but I keep waiting for...something.  I think it's because I don't feel comfortable writing the accompanying prayers.

Anyway, I'll be happy to participate whenever this happens.  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Departmental; Feri, Thelema, Morningstar; Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/they
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 04:09:46 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;11004
This site http://web.me.com/iowariver/Walking_in_Beauty/Pagan_Prayer_Beads.html
has some nice examples and talks a bit about how to make them.

Thanks for the link - that was useful. I've actually seen and said the Winter Witch Camp prayer beads that there's a link to further down the page.

(I just PM'ed you - I'm interested in participating in this.)

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 03:41:37 am »
Quote from: Garnet;16674

(Hanging this post here just because it's handy. :)

Have we made a decision yet on if/how/when we're doing a prayer bead exchange?  I'm just checking because I'm afraid I might have missed something.  It's been a bad migraine time lately, thanks to the homicidal weather.  :o

Thanks!

~ Aster
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:34:24 am by SunflowerP »

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Prayer Bead Exchange
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;18875
(Hanging this post here just because it's handy. :)

Have we made a decision yet on if/how/when we're doing a prayer bead exchange?  I'm just checking because I'm afraid I might have missed something.  It's been a bad migraine time lately, thanks to the homicidal weather.  :o

Thanks!

~ Aster

Sorry it took me so long to answer this, real life got pretty tough for a couple of weeks there. No decision has been made yet. We're up to 5 people interested now with a couple more if we wait and do it next year. I'm happy to go with the group consensus on this but we need to make a decision soon or we'll run out of time for Samhein.

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;20254
Sorry it took me so long to answer this, real life got pretty tough for a couple of weeks there. No decision has been made yet. We're up to 5 people interested now with a couple more if we wait and do it next year. I'm happy to go with the group consensus on this but we need to make a decision soon or we'll run out of time for Samhein.

How do people feel about waiting to do this exchange at a later date?

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever the majority wants to do.  :)

We're doing the poetry ecchange for Samhain, and I think we're still planning to do the cross/brat exchange for Imbolc.

Maybe we could do a prayer bead exchange for whichever festival we've assigned to "smithcraft" -- since we'd be *crafting* the prayers and the beads?

Another idea might be to add prayer beads to the options for the Imbolc exchange.  For the last two years, we've set that one up so people can do either a cross or a brat or both.  Prayer beads might spice things up a bit.  Maybe we could even specify that a set of prayer beads made for that exchange should incorporate a Brighid's cross and/or a (symbolic) brat into it in some way?

Thoughts?

~ Aster

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;20266

Another idea might be to add prayer beads to the options for the Imbolc exchange.  

I really like this idea, and I like the part about including a cross or symbolic brat.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 09:56:03 pm »
How do people feel about waiting to do this exchange at a later date?

Personally, I'll be fine with whatever the majority wants to do.  :)

I would like to join in on the prayer bead exchange.  I am a amateur beader, but would love to make something for a fellow Cillmate, even though I am a newbie to the group.

We're doing the poetry ecchange for Samhain, and I think we're still planning to do the cross/brat exchange for Imbolc.

Maybe we could do a prayer bead exchange for whichever festival we've assigned to "smithcraft" -- since we'd be *crafting* the prayers and the beads?

Another idea might be to add prayer beads to the options for the Imbolc exchange.  For the last two years, we've set that one up so people can do either a cross or a brat or both.  Prayer beads might spice things up a bit.  Maybe we could even specify that a set of prayer beads made for that exchange should incorporate a Brighid's cross and/or a (symbolic) brat into it in some way?

Thoughts?

~ Aster

I would be willing to do what everyone else wants to do regarding time frame.  I really like the idea of having a set pattern, and then choosing the beads that we like. :)

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 01:56:22 am »
Quote from: Siannan;20900

Hi, all.

I've been AWOL for over a week thanks to computer and internet problems.  So I wanted to check in on this project and see if we've made any progress.

I'm still very willing to do this exchange.  In fact, I've been very inspired about prayer beads in the last several days, and even designed a couple of prototypes.  But the fact that this thread is still where it was over a week ago suggests to me that maybe we're not ready to do this...?

Maybe we should think about incorporating prayer beads into the Imbolc exchange, as an option along with the traditional cross and brat?

Thoughts?

~ Aster

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:49 am »

Thoughts?

~ Aster

Smithcrafting we assigned to Lughnassadh.  But I also like the idea for Imbolc as well!

Quote from: Aster Breo;24224
Hi, all.

I've been AWOL for over a week thanks to computer and internet problems.  So I wanted to check in on this project and see if we've made any progress.

I'm still very willing to do this exchange.  In fact, I've been very inspired about prayer beads in the last several days, and even designed a couple of prototypes.  But the fact that this thread is still where it was over a week ago suggests to me that maybe we're not ready to do this...?

Maybe we should think about incorporating prayer beads into the Imbolc exchange, as an option along with the traditional cross and brat?

Thoughts?

~ Aster

I've been AWOL a bit myself, with a lot of Dr. Appts for the partner, and required traveling for work and general Lifus Interuptus.  There seems to be a lot of that going around, and might be part of why there hasn't been more activity on this thread.

I'm open to anything except Samhain at this point - mostly because I don't have enough supplies, or the money to get them, in time to have them posted for Samhain.

Another thought, and you can dismiss it if you'd like - no investment on this on my part.  But have we thought about doing this for the Winter Solstice, as an aide through the darkest, longest night of the year?  Most folk turn to prayer during the long midnight of the soul - the imagery just seems to fit to me.  But it's also 2:20 in the morning and I might simply be off my rocker :p
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:53 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;24229

I'm open to anything except Samhain at this point - mostly because I don't have enough supplies, or the money to get them, in time to have them posted for Samhain.

Another thought, and you can dismiss it if you'd like - no investment on this on my part.  But have we thought about doing this for the Winter Solstice, as an aide through the darkest, longest night of the year?  Most folk turn to prayer during the long midnight of the soul - the imagery just seems to fit to me.  But it's also 2:20 in the morning and I might simply be off my rocker :p

Samhain is already covered by the Samhain poetry exchange, so no worries about adding prayer beads for that one.  :)

I think the Cill has tended to put more emphasis on the fire festivals (Samhain, Imbolc, Beltaine, Lughnasa) because there is substantial historical support for celebration of those holidays, while there is not a lot to show whether the ancient Celts celebrated the solar festivals (solstices and equinoxes).  That said, there's no reason we couldn't celebrate the solstice with an exchange.  The Cill is not a reconstructionist group, so we can celebrate whatever we want to.  ;)

My only hesitation about a winter solstice exchange would be the proximity to the other major winter holidays.  Personally, I think I could manage it with a little advance planning.  

How to others feel about it?

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 01:36:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;24279
My only hesitation about a winter solstice exchange would be the proximity to the other major winter holidays.  Personally, I think I could manage it with a little advance planning.  

It's a touch last minute, but I think I could make it work. And I like the idea of having it for the solstice, instead of one of the fire festivals.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Garnet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

I could definitely do it. Otherwise, I think Imbolc would work well.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:31 pm »

I think if we can figure out what we are going to do soon, I can swing it too!

Aster Breo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »
Quote from: Siannan;24338
I think if we can figure out what we are going to do soon, I can swing it too!

It sounds like we should jump in and give it a try for the Winter Solstice.

Is there someone who wants to handle the organization?  If not, I'm happy to do it.

I also want to toss this idea out:  I've been researching prayer beads for another project, and I looked through 3 books (Beads of Faith, A String and a Prayer, and Pagan Prayer Beads).  While doing this research, I realized I had sort of locked myself into the rosary model of prayer beads.  That is, I was thinking that the only way to do prayer beads was to connect them to a specific prayer or set of prayers, so each bead would link to a particular verse.

Since then, I've started thinking differently.  I'm working on a couple of designs for short sets of prayer beads that can either be worn as bracelets or simply carried as "pocket pieces".  (This site has some examples of pocket pieces.)  For these, I'm NOT linking them to specific prayers.  Instead, each bead represents a particular idea that I want to keep in the forefront of my thoughts.

I did a prototype to experiment with the idea (picture here).  There are 9 blue glass beads, each separated by 3 small iridescent beads.  There's a large labradorite pendant attached to one end (a gorgeous stone, with a really beautiful blue flash), and a silver pendant with a Brighid's cross inside a sunburst on the other end.  The ends are connected by a copper clasp with a silver spiral.  I've been holding it sort of circling around my hand, below my fingers, with the pendants against the inside of my fingers.  That lets me use the labradorite as a sort of worry stone.  So far, I really like it.  It's a tangible reminder to keep Brighid in my thoughts.

For this first prayer bead exchange, maybe it would work for us to take a similar approach.  We could either work as a group to determine what aspects of Brighid or things associated with Her we want to link to our beads, or we could each come up with our own associations.

Thoughts?

Tags: