Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Symptoms of a Love Spell  (Read 31667 times)

dmtemp

• View Profile
Symptoms of a Love Spell
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:25:05 pm »
Hello :)

I created this account mostly just to ask this question, however, I may or may not come back from time to time to participate in some forum discussions.

I've been practising magick (going through various religions until I just decided to go with my own specific beliefs) for approximately eight or so years.
Given that I am a high school student, I'd like to think of this as a long time ;)

My personal ethics concerning magick match the Wiccan Rede and I also don't believe in forcing one's own will on another.
Commonly, love spells found on the internet are the "I want so-and-so to fall in love with me…" kind, and obviously, that goes against my beliefs.

I just wanted to get that little explanation out of the way so that people understand how I view love magick before I continue on to my question.

Recently I've begun to suspect that a free-will-infringing love spell was cast on me.
It happened almost a year ago, and the relationship is over, so I'm merely curious about whether or not it really was a love spell or just an unfortunate occurrence.
I'm not looking for some way to reverse it or whatever because it has already run its course.

I'm not entirely sure of how much detail I should go into, so I'll do my best to summarize.

A person from my school added me on Facebook at one point, I'm not sure when exactly, but it was a long time ago.
I didn't know them, but we had a large number of mutual friends and I'd seen them around school, so I accepted the request. We never spoke.
Months later, I had a dream about this person in which we became involved in a relationship - please bare in mind I had not yet met this person at this time.
The dream took place on a Saturday night, and two days later, I met this person for the first time. Instant attraction ensued.
Wednesday, we both signed up for the same after-school club, and a mutual friend of ours invited us to a party on the Friday of that same week. The attraction grew.
For the following week were spoke on MSN and on that Friday, this person asked me on a date.
The date was very awkward in general, but I don't know if was a normal first-date awkward, or if it was awkward because it was forced.

I experienced extreme discomfort throughout the week that I was "officially dating" this person.
I had no appetite. I should point out that I LOVE food, and I've never lost my appetite before.
If it's important to specify, I didn't physically feel hungry. It wasn't that food wasn't appealing, I just didn't feel like eating.
I felt like throwing up, which only happens when I'm experiencing serious anxiety (like panic attacks…)
I don't think that the nausea was specifically related to the loss of appetite; the two were mutually exclusive, but either way I didn't want food.
I couldn't sleep well. I don't remember if I had unusual dreams or not since it was such a long time ago.
I felt the need to avoid this person, and I couldn't relax around them (this is not normal for me in this kind of situation, as I have since discovered)
I am clairsentient, and looking back at how I felt at that time, I can tell that I was also sensing some kind of negativity associated with the relationship in addition to the above.

At the time, I passed this all off as "first relationship anxiety", and I expected it to be gone after a little time to get used to things.
But the feelings didn't pass, in fact they got stronger as time went on. I couldn't stand it, and I broke off the relationship.
Immediately after ending it, I no longer experienced any of the above symptoms and I felt so much better.

If this was indeed the result of a love spell, I can only think it affected me because I wanted to have my first relationship before I turned a certain age and this all happened within a month of my birthday. So I wouldn't be surprised if I was subconsciously accepting the influence so as to achieve that goal…

Anyway, this post is quite a bit longer than I intended it to be.
I'm curious to know what you guys think.
Thanks in advance!

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Symptoms of a Love Spell
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:42:20 pm »
Quote from: dmtemp;18247

Welcome to the Cauldron. :)

Not to make fun of what you've written, just my thoughts on it.
I turned 41 last weekend, but I can remember feeling what you've described in your post - a long, long time ago. ;)

And it sounds like all the symptoms of being a teenager.

Wanting something (the date) to happen? Check.
Dreaming about something you want? Check.
Being nervous about a date? Check.
Can't eat because of it? Check.
Feeling awkward? Check.

See, chances are pretty small that someone around was so powerful to cast such a spell. To influence the free will and to force somebody, takes a lot of experience and knowledge.

I really wouldn't worry too much about being under a spell in this case. :)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

dmtemp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:59:45 pm »
Thanks for your input!

Quote from: Tana;18252

And it sounds like all the symptoms of being a teenager.

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it was :D

But the fact that it was this specific person, and it was just so random, makes me wonder... I might add that I still had a (fading, but still there) crush on someone else that I actually knew at the time. I would think that, under normal circumstances, my dream would have involved that person rather than the one it did.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:04:11 pm »
Quote from: Tana;18252
See, chances are pretty small that someone around was so powerful to cast such a spell. To influence the free will and to force somebody, takes a lot of experience and knowledge.

I have to agree with Tana. I just don't see a love spell in your description.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »
Quote from: dmtemp;18261
Thanks for your input!

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it was :D

But the fact that it was this specific person, and it was just so random, makes me wonder... I might add that I still had a (fading, but still there) crush on someone else that I actually knew at the time. I would think that, under normal circumstances, my dream would have involved that person rather than the one it did.

You'd be surprised.  I've dreamed about people I know from internet forums (though no-one from TC yet), even though I've never met them.  I've also dreamed I was being romantic with people I'm not at all interested in when I'm awake.  Dreams can be really weird like that.  Probably you just dreamed of that person because they were in your mind because they added you on Facebook.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:22:07 pm »

Dreams aren't that logical - I've often had sexual/romantic dreams about people I really wasn't attracted to in waking life.  Or even when it's someone I do feel attraction for, it's not all that often the person I feel the most attraction for at that time.

If I had to guess about your situation, I'd say that, although you were attracted to the person, you didn't really want to be in a relationship with them.  Maybe it's just that - despite the age "deadline" you'd set for yourself - you weren't really ready to be in a relationship at all; or maybe it's that that relationship wouldn't have been a healthy one for you in some way.

I'm with Tana and Randall; it looks to me to be pretty standard teenage attraction/ambiguity stuff, no spell required.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Star

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »

But the fact that it was this specific person, and it was just so random, makes me wonder...

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it is this:  Life is random.  If there's a second thing I've learned, it is this:  Our brains like to try to find significance in the randomness--make patterns, highlight the "weird" stuff, that kind of thing.  Is it possible that what you describe are the results of a spell?  Eh... Maybe, I guess.  Anything is possible.  Does "maybe there's a remote possibility" mean that it IS?  No, not at all.  Unless you have some more specific reason beyond "it's random" for thinking this is a spell, it sounds to me like one of those odd random things that just sometimes happens.

If nothing else...  If it really was a spell, if she really were someone who wanted you whether you wanted her or not, wouldn't breaking it off have probably made her try harder rather than just giving up?  If she really can do something like this, and she really is willing to do it to get you in the first place, it seems odd to me that she'd just give up at the first sign of serious resistance.
"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Journal: Star\'s Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Musings: The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:01:33 pm »
Quote from: dmtemp;18247
Recently I've begun to suspect that a free-will-infringing love spell was cast on me.

When I was a teen, I fell in love twice.  Both times I experienced an extreme loss of appetite both when the relationship began and when it ended. I felt nauseated. I could only drink cold water and forced myself to eat fruit.  The second relationship was easier than the first because it lasted longer and I was able to adjust to my hormones and feelings.  But when that relationship broke off, I even became anemic from the love-sickness.

I think it is just what you said... first relationship jitters.  Feelings are very extreme when a teen or young adult. Falling in love IS magical, without the spells. A person gets swept up in emotions and this can be freakin' scary, or exhilarating. Likely, the other person is probably quite confused as to why you ended it.

It could be that you're just not ready. Forget the numerical age and let it happen when it happens, when you are brave enough to weather the roller coaster of emotions.

I don't believe it's truly possible to override someone's Will if they are strong, and if they are weak, I wonder why one would want to. But that's a silly question, there are all kinds of freaks out there. I did have a friend who was given a necklace by someone who had a crush on her, and she recognized it for what it was and buried it away from her house.

But now that this topic has been broached, I wonder if anyone can recount having fallen victim to a love spell?  I'm very curious about it.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

dmtemp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:35:35 pm »
I appreciate the fact that everyone has taken me seriously rather than just dismissing it :)

I'm quite relieved that no one thinks it really was a spell.
I agree that I wasn't ready for a relationship yet either, and that was the reason I gave when I ended it.

I also think everything happens for a reason, so perhaps I just needed to get my first date and relationship over with so that I could move on to another stage in life? Haha, I don't know. :)

I do know that this person wasn't the most truthful during our short-lived time together. They also moved the relationship along really quickly which was probably the major reason for my discomfort. Either way, it's a good thing it's over.
We've both moved on, and I know for a fact that I'm doing much better this time around.

After reading everyone's opinions, I've come to think that it was just the natural "magic" of adolescence :P

Thanks for the help!

Quote from: Lecia Hale;18286
I wonder if anyone can recount having fallen victim to a love spell?  I'm very curious about it.

I'm also interested in knowing if anyone has...

Tags: