Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Author Topic: Cauldron's "Up All Night" Solstice Celebration in About 1 Week  (Read 3512 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Cauldron's "Up All Night" Solstice Celebration in About 1 Week
« on: December 13, 2013, 11:40:29 pm »
Holy crap--!! This has totally snuck up on me (like the rest of the holiday season). In case it's snuck up on you, I wanted to remind everybody that Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice, the 2013 edition of what's become The Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only about a week away!

When it begins: sunset on Saturday, December 21 (whatever time sunset happens in your location; so the thread will become active a little bit before the sun sets in the Australasian region)

When it ends: sunrise on Sunday, December 22 (whatever time that happens in your locale; many of us end up posting summations of our experience well into the next day...after we've finally gotten some sleep!)

For those who don't already know, the idea is simple: A bunch of us stay up all night on the Northern Hemisphere's winter solstice to celebrate the longest night of the year and the return of the sun afterwards. So we hang out here in The Cauldron, in a special thread devoted to the night's festivities and in chat, to keep each other company in a kind of cyber moot. Wackiness ensues (esp. in the wee hours after extensive sleep deprivation)...

All are welcome, whether you're trying to stay up all night or just dropping by to partake of the fun...whether you're marking the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere or the summer solstice in the Southern...and no matter what path you may follow, or none at all.

You can see some of the chatter in the run-up to this year's event here.

This year's non-theme (a conversation starter that can be freely ignored) is "hot/cold". Start collecting your thoughts, songs, links, videos, recipes, etc. for sharing, and get ready for "Up All Night"!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cauldron's "Up All Night" Solstice Celebration in About 1 Week
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10:57 am »
Quote from: Altair;132504
Holy crap--!! This has totally snuck up on me (like the rest of the holiday season). In case it's snuck up on you, I wanted to remind everybody that Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice, the 2013 edition of what's become The Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only about a week away!

Yay! I've made some nebulous plans... including helping my grandmother decorate her Christmas tree, making cookies, writing, hot chocolate, wrapping gifts, maybe some rune things, etc. I have no idea if I'll make it all night; last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!), but I'll be trying my damnedest this year!
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;132529
Yay! I've made some nebulous plans... including helping my grandmother decorate her Christmas tree, making cookies, writing, hot chocolate, wrapping gifts, maybe some rune things, etc. I have no idea if I'll make it all night; last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!), but I'll be trying my damnedest this year!

That's about where I clonked out last year. Besides pagan things and an attempt at Kemetic style solstice celebration, I wanna get back to writing <3 I'm gonna try my hand at getting a few thousand words done of a fanfic
I've been mulling over for awhile.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:57 pm »
Quote from: Sage;132537
That's about where I clonked out last year. Besides pagan things and an attempt at Kemetic style solstice celebration, I wanna get back to writing <3 I'm gonna try my hand at getting a few thousand words done of a fanfic
I've been mulling over for awhile.

I'll be there too, hopefully! Writing sounds like a great way to pass the evening hours.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:27 pm »

I'll be there! I have some crocheting to get done, and if I manage to get through that without any major screw-ups I might try my hand at getting some writing done too. We'll see if I can manage it two years in a row!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:06 pm »
Quote from: Juni;132576
I'll be there! I have some crocheting to get done, and if I manage to get through that without any major screw-ups I might try my hand at getting some writing done too. We'll see if I can manage it two years in a row!

I'll be there, most likely crocheting too! (And, let's face it, probably watching a bajillion Christmas movies cause that's just who I am)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 08:53:05 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;132529
last time I tried I think I conked out about 3 in the morning (so close!)

3 AM is a wall for many of us, I suspect; I find the stretch from then until sunrise the most difficult, and the next-to-last hour particularly brutal. (In the final hour, I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it pulls me through.)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:55:27 am »
Quote from: Finn;132579
(And, let's face it, probably watching a bajillion Christmas movies cause that's just who I am)

That would never, ever work for me! Under normal circumstances, I'm falling asleep in front of the TV by about 10:30 PM. TV viewing is absolutely verboten for me during Up All Night after 10 PM, simply to ensure that I don't clock out.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »
Quote from: Altair;132604
That would never, ever work for me! Under normal circumstances, I'm falling asleep in front of the TV by about 10:30 PM. TV viewing is absolutely verboten for me during Up All Night after 10 PM, simply to ensure that I don't clock out.

See, I never fall asleep in front of the TV or at the movies. It's just... something I've never been able to do. Maybe because I crank up the volume. :p
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »
Quote from: Altair;132604

I'll probably be out by then with or without TV, but I'm planning to at least stop by for the first part of the evening.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 02:28:26 am »
Quote from: Aisling;132632
I'll probably be out by then with or without TV, but I'm planning to at least stop by for the first part of the evening.

I'll be in for sure- though I will be working for part if it so may be slow on social depending on how many stupid people are hiding at work!
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 04:41:10 am »

Will definitely be in for part of the night -- Ogre's letting me borrow his laptop while I'm at the Yule party, so I'll be popping in and out. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 08:26:20 am »
Quote from: Altair;132603
3 AM is a wall for many of us, I suspect; I find the stretch from then until sunrise the most difficult, and the next-to-last hour particularly brutal. (In the final hour, I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it pulls me through.)

I'm much a-feared I won't make it to sunrise this year, given that I'm throwing a party that night that will include grown-up beverages.  But I'll do my best.  Maybe my insane roosters will start crowing at 5 a.m. as they are so often wont to do.

Brina

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:16 am »
Quote from: yewberry;132666
I'm much a-feared I won't make it to sunrise this year, given that I'm throwing a party that night that will include grown-up beverages.  But I'll do my best.  Maybe my insane roosters will start crowing at 5 a.m. as they are so often wont to do.

Brina

I really wanted to participate this year, but I am afraid I can't. My wifi is  out, which blows. Maybe next year!
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 10:08:52 am »

This year's non-theme (a conversation starter that can be freely ignored) is "hot/cold". Start collecting your thoughts, songs, links, videos, recipes, etc. for sharing, and get ready for "Up All Night"!

I'm gonna try and be on here for some of the time. I'm currently at home from university and I don't plan to tell my parents about my faith until its almost time for me to go back to school so staying up all night on the internet might not be an option for me but I'll try and be on here to chat with all you good folk!

Tags: