Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Any advice for a new comer?  (Read 2213 times)

WillowDusk

• View Profile
Any advice for a new comer?
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:49:54 pm »
Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start? I noticed that there are certain branches of Paganism. What's so different about each of them? Different Gods? Different views? Different everything? What makes a person associated with a certain branch? Would you call them branches?
Obviously I am very curious.
I have already looked through some main Paganism websites that give spells and stories.
I was hoping I could converse with some people that have more experience.
Thank you all! :thup:

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Any advice for a new comer?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »
Quote from: WillowDusk;17698
Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start?

I'm just running out the door, but here are some good places to start:

The Cauldron's own Pagan Primer and Teens & Paganism FAQ (not just for teenagers, I still refer to it sometimes) are both really fabulous sources of both information and tips on what to look for in other sources.

Jennet's Seeking website covers a lot of ground, from absolute 'who does what' basics to 'how to find a group in real life'.

Welcome to the Cauldron! It's where I ended up when I was more-or-less in the same position you are, years back, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to find my footing.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:11:05 pm »
Quote from: WillowDusk;17698
Well obviously I am interested in practicing Paganism. Are there any basics that I should know as I start? I noticed that there are certain branches of Paganism. What's so different about each of them? Different Gods? Different views? Different everything? What makes a person associated with a certain branch? Would you call them branches?
Obviously I am very curious.
I have already looked through some main Paganism websites that give spells and stories.
I was hoping I could converse with some people that have more experience.
Thank you all! :thup:

Hi, it basically all depends on what type of Paganism you are interested in and plan on following. There are soo many diffrent branches and sects within Paganism, at times it's hard to keep up. Are you interested in the Wiccan style God and Goddess worship or are you interested in hard polytheism? Are you attracted to a certain culture (Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Slavic, African, East Asian, Hindu etc)? Are you interested in reconstructing the religions of the past such as religions like Asatru or Hellenismos or are you more of an eclectic person who likes to mix things together?

I would not rush into it straight away. My biggest suggestion is to read a lot and look up every website you can on the subject. Read, Read and Read.

If you tell us some of your beliefs we may be able to help you and direct you on which path may fit your beliefs more.

WillowDusk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:22:24 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;17704
Hi, it basically all depends on what type of Paganism you are interested in and plan on following. There are soo many diffrent branches and sects within Paganism, at times it's hard to keep up. Are you interested in the Wiccan style God and Goddess worship or are you interested in hard polytheism? Are you attracted to a certain culture (Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Slavic, African, East Asian, Hindu etc)? Are you interested in reconstructing the religions of the past such as religions like Asatru or Hellenismos or are you more of an eclectic person who likes to mix things together?

I would not rush into it straight away. My biggest suggestion is to read a lot and look up every website you can on the subject. Read, Read and Read.

If you tell us some of your beliefs we may be able to help you and direct you on which path may fit your beliefs more.

Thanks!
I'm not exactly attracted to a certain culture exactly but I may tend to mix things together.
I love nature, the ocean to be more specific. Mermaid tales are very fascinating to me.
Being Agnostic I have been able to explore many different religions and base what makes more sense to me.
I believe that when we die, we spend the rest of eternity guiding those of who we knew/loved/hated throughout their life based on their experience with you more or less. And those experiences pass on to others and we live forever in the minds/hearts of all whether we knew them or not. And therefore we are all one.
But I believe that there are multiple forces that control the universe and how it works. Whether they be Gods, Spirits, or whatever.
I also believe that the ocean plays a huge role in how the Earth works and how people/animals interact.
I looked up the Goddess Yemaya and found a strong interest. So I may have a West African mix in there.

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:33:09 pm »
Quote from: WillowDusk;17707
Thanks!
I'm not exactly attracted to a certain culture exactly but I may tend to mix things together.
I love nature, the ocean to be more specific. Mermaid tales are very fascinating to me.
Being Agnostic I have been able to explore many different religions and base what makes more sense to me.
I believe that when we die, we spend the rest of eternity guiding those of who we knew/loved/hated throughout their life based on their experience with you more or less. And those experiences pass on to others and we live forever in the minds/hearts of all whether we knew them or not. And therefore we are all one.
But I believe that there are multiple forces that control the universe and how it works. Whether they be Gods, Spirits, or whatever.
I also believe that the ocean plays a huge role in how the Earth works and how people/animals interact.
I looked up the Goddess Yemaya and found a strong interest. So I may have a West African mix in there.

Are you intested in practicing witchcraft or magic in any way?

By going on your beliefs, it seems to me like Druidism or maybe a earth centered form of Wicca maybe the best for you. Druidism is very earth centered and animistic. On the top of my head I cannot think of any Ocean orientated pagan paths but there are so many different forms of Wicca and it is a very adaptable and eclectic path.

They are just suggestions, these two paths may not be for you but it couldn't hurt to look into it some more.

WillowDusk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:43:33 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;17709
Are you intested in practicing witchcraft or magic in any way?

By going on your beliefs, it seems to me like Druidism or maybe a earth centered form of Wicca maybe the best for you. Druidism is very earth centered and animistic. On the top of my head I cannot think of any Ocean orientated pagan paths but there are so many different forms of Wicca and it is a very adaptable and eclectic path.

They are just suggestions, these two paths may not be for you but it couldn't hurt to look into it some more.

Possible a little bit of Magic. Just small ones, mostly on myself and nature. I wouldn't on anyone else.

WillowDusk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);17700
I'm just running out the door, but here are some good places to start:

The Cauldron's own Pagan Primer and Teens & Paganism FAQ (not just for teenagers, I still refer to it sometimes) are both really fabulous sources of both information and tips on what to look for in other sources.

Jennet's Seeking website covers a lot of ground, from absolute 'who does what' basics to 'how to find a group in real life'.

Welcome to the Cauldron! It's where I ended up when I was more-or-less in the same position you are, years back, and I couldn't have asked for a better place to find my footing.

Thank you! This will help greatly!

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:11 pm »
Quote from: WillowDusk;17715
Possible a little bit of Magic. Just small ones, mostly on myself and nature. I wouldn't on anyone else.

Ok, yeah I think Druidism or maybe an earth/ocean centred Wiccan path maybe for you. I suggest doing some research on Druidism and Wicca. Like I said, it may not appeal to you in the end but it's worth a look.

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »
Quote from: Geroth;17723
Ok, yeah I think Druidism or maybe an earth/ocean centred Wiccan path maybe for you. I suggest doing some research on Druidism and Wicca. Like I said, it may not appeal to you in the end but it's worth a look.

Dear, look for african religions, such as Candomblé, Umbanda and Quimbanda. They all revere gods and goddesses related to all the elements, but with a different aproach than the most common pagan sects on the internet.

A pearl of advice is to reasearch as much as you can, and have no fear of doing so. I reasearched for 10 years before deciding to dedicate myself to my path, and have no regrets, as I'm truly  happy with my path. Hope you find yours soon.

Cheers!

Tags: