Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: deity contact experiences  (Read 4095 times)

lunarwxtch

• View Profile
deity contact experiences
« on: October 24, 2016, 04:28:10 am »
Mostly I wanted to say: do other people feel that contact with deity/spirits feels more real with your eyes closed? Or is that just me?

But also after being atheist/agnostic for a year, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things & learn about other deities so does anyone have advice? Or rituals, or funny stories, or anything really? [I don't really follow a tradition, I'm more a make-it-up-as-I-go sort of person.]

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: deity contact experiences
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:37:21 pm »
Quote from: lunarwxtch;197899
Mostly I wanted to say: do other people feel that contact with deity/spirits feels more real with your eyes closed? Or is that just me?

But also after being atheist/agnostic for a year, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things & learn about other deities so does anyone have advice? Or rituals, or funny stories, or anything really? [I don't really follow a tradition, I'm more a make-it-up-as-I-go sort of person.]

Well, vision is most humans' primary sense, so closing your eyes makes it easier to focus on any other sense -- a lot of people close their eyes when listening intently, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Snake-Bitten

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »

An odd happening:
On my daily drive to work, I saw a deer laying on the side of the road. I didn't feel anything in particular, but as I passed I heard a snuffle in my ear. I acknowledged the deer spirit, and bid it to cross over.

The end. Nothing spectacular, but it wouldn't have happened at all without an open mind. So that is what I would say is the most important thing to remember: keep an open mind.

Eevee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:57 am »

Same sorta situation, except with "being atheist/agnostic for a year" its more like 5+ years.... I'm still agnostic but - whatever.
Gods!
The most potent experiences I had, back in the day, were my dreams. So yeah, kinda have to keep my eyes closed for that.
The times when I literally saw things (1 - possibly 2 days out of 27 years) I had my eyes open, but I wasn't exactly looking for anything or expecting to see anything.
Funny how all major moments happened when I wasn't meditating or mid-ritual or whatever.

I try to give everything a scientific explanation first, and if that doesn't fit, I get all "OooooOOOoooOOoOOOoooh" about it (surely, you get what I mean...)

I've been having odd experiences with flashes lately. At first I thought it was something really concerning like a macula problem or some optical issue, but when I mean "flashes" I mean I see half my room light up <--- that description didn't match up with any information regarding optics. The experiences I had in my past also included flashes of light - no where near as often as how I get them now, one instance I saw a roughly human-sized light in my front-yard - but that wasn't really a "flash" that light stayed there for at least 2 seconds. (Disclaimer: there was a very distant lightning storm at the time, but like time I checked, close lightning hits aren't the size of people, aren't silent, and dont hover around for 2+ seconds.)
I've been seeing flashes with my eyes closed since I was a kid though. Plenty of times when I'm trying to sleep, I think a lightning storms coming because I see "lightning", then I get sad because they're just flashes.
...Stupid flashes.  

Although, if I got asked my opinion on this those 5+ years ago, I would've told you the most ridiculous crap I convinced myself of.
Literal fairies in my garden, gnomes in a forest, "Psychic attacks and curses" (aka panic attacks), an older man wearing a Thor's hammer pendant (I served working in a grocery store) was apparently Thor, and ugh.
Young + imagination = stupid.
Thor was probably sitting in Bilksirnir, looking at me, shaking his head like "bloody pleb"
Naboo: This is black magic. This is hardcore. Don\'t mess with the occult.
Vince Noir: I thought it was good for you.
Naboo: What?
Vince Noir: Well, you know, good for your digestive system.
Naboo: That\'s Yakult!

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 02:38:53 am »
Quote from: Eevee;198565
Same sorta situation, except with "being atheist/agnostic for a year" its more like 5+ years.... I'm still agnostic but - whatever.
Gods!
The most potent experiences I had, back in the day, were my dreams. So yeah, kinda have to keep my eyes closed for that.
The times when I literally saw things (1 - possibly 2 days out of 27 years) I had my eyes open, but I wasn't exactly looking for anything or expecting to see anything.
Funny how all major moments happened when I wasn't meditating or mid-ritual or whatever.

I try to give everything a scientific explanation first, and if that doesn't fit, I get all "OooooOOOoooOOoOOOoooh" about it (surely, you get what I mean...)

I've been having odd experiences with flashes lately. At first I thought it was something really concerning like a macula problem or some optical issue, but when I mean "flashes" I mean I see half my room light up <--- that description didn't match up with any information regarding optics. The experiences I had in my past also included flashes of light - no where near as often as how I get them now, one instance I saw a roughly human-sized light in my front-yard - but that wasn't really a "flash" that light stayed there for at least 2 seconds. (Disclaimer: there was a very distant lightning storm at the time, but like time I checked, close lightning hits aren't the size of people, aren't silent, and dont hover around for 2+ seconds.)
I've been seeing flashes with my eyes closed since I was a kid though. Plenty of times when I'm trying to sleep, I think a lightning storms coming because I see "lightning", then I get sad because they're just flashes.
...Stupid flashes.  

Although, if I got asked my opinion on this those 5+ years ago, I would've told you the most ridiculous crap I convinced myself of.
Literal fairies in my garden, gnomes in a forest, "Psychic attacks and curses" (aka panic attacks), an older man wearing a Thor's hammer pendant (I served working in a grocery store) was apparently Thor, and ugh.
Young + imagination = stupid.
Thor was probably sitting in Bilksirnir, looking at me, shaking his head like "bloody pleb"

New agers believe those flashes are angels. They are fairly common. I work with angels. They are real.

I actually work with fae. They are real too. They have names. They asked for whipped cream as an offering, and when I started putting it out, they started coming in droves. They are all different sizes. They all dress differently. The fae I have come in contact with are house fae and tree fae. They are very hard to communicate with but starting with yes and no questions helps.

Two of them gave me gifts. One gave me an invisible ring that protects me and he gave me a power animal for my work as a Shaman. The other gave me a power animal as well. They hid their wings from me at first. It seemed very personal, like a gift when they showed them to me. At least one I know can shapeshift.

I was an atheist as well... not everything is as it seems. Fae take an extra bit of faith. No science involved. No explanations. They don't just trust anybody. They are not usually the type to show themselves.  I read a book by a witch about becoming a fae shaman. A shaman to the fae. It is particularly hard work. You need to know the fae and Shamanism really well and dealing with the fae community in that respect is very demanding. They would really depend on you if you were working with them in that capacity.

You would have to be adept at going between worlds to be a fae shaman, because even to be that position you need to get permission from their leaders. You would be woken up to help them with community squabbles and you would need a good attitude. I was encouraged to follow that path by a tree fae. I am not anywhere near that lol, and i love my sleep! I don't know about ever taking that kind of responsibility. But it is in my mind...

That is about all that i know of them. There is not very much information out there about them. Brian Froud draws fae. He moved to a place specifically because it has fae activity. They now show up asking to be drawn. I was thinking of drawing the fae I know since I can draw.

Be open to things you don't understand. When you are younger, you have more faith in anything being possible. I am not young by my standards. I am 51. And well past young "nonsense." I just met the fae.

I did a visualization where I saw something that was supposed to be a fae, but it looked like something off a Rice Crispies box, you know Snap, Krackle or Pop! Lol. But I had faith there were fae and it was my own incapacity to see getting in the way. I was determined to see one. The next day they showed up. Three of them. Not what I expected, but so what?

Love and thanks for listening,

Immortal
Pagan/New Age Shaman wannabe, baby Druid, studying Wicca. I want to be an Interfaith Minister. I have been a Christian, a baby Buddhist and an atheist (kind of).

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 02:48:00 am »
Quote from: Immortal;200072
New agers believe those flashes are angels. They are fairly common.

I was an atheist as well... not everything is as it seems.

Love and thanks for listening,

Immortal

If I were you, I'd see an eye doctor. But mostly eye doctors have no explanation for those types of flashes, but be on the safe side.

If there is no explanation, take a great leap and thank the angels for watching over you since you were a child and for trying to get your attention.

Love,

Immortal
Pagan/New Age Shaman wannabe, baby Druid, studying Wicca. I want to be an Interfaith Minister. I have been a Christian, a baby Buddhist and an atheist (kind of).

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:08:45 am »
Quote from: Immortal;200074
If I were you, I'd see an eye doctor. But mostly eye doctors have no explanation for those types of flashes, but be on the safe side.

If there is no explanation, take a great leap and thank the angels for watching over you since you were a child and for trying to get your attention.

Love,

Immortal

Mostly I work with the four main Archangels. Angels appear to you as however you would expect them to appear so you don't mistake them for some other type of spirit. Once you get to know them, they just look like us mostly. Micheal is the protector, Raphael the Healer, Gabriel the Messenger, and I have barely worked with Uriel. I don't know his capacity.

They can appear as either gender. For me and many others, Gabriel is female. They are very hard to communicate with too. Raphael is the only one I can hear. Micheal spoke to me on a chalkboard he gave me once. Gabriel sang and cried over me during a Shamanic ritual. I have not worked with them much yet.

They aren't Christian. They serve all. They don't care who you are and they aren't trying to win you over to any religion. I have spirit guides from my Shaman work. One told me angels and fae are hard to communicate with because it is like they speak a different language than us. Yes or no questions are good with angels too. You can feel a yes in your spirit versus a no in your spirit. Have faith in what you feel.

They are omnipresent. Michael was fully on two sides of my living room before. So they can be in many places at the same time. You don't have to worry that you are keeping them from something more important. They are happiest and most fulfilled when they are helping you. No task is too small. They don't feel any of your needs are petty or below them. They live to serve.

I hope I have helped. I hope someone can use the information. I hope I haven't totally derailed the thread, but I thought these things were important enough to tell you.

Love,

Immortal

Immortal

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:31:48 am »

Back to you... sorry if I was derailing your thread!

I don't know about feeling contact better with my eyes closed, but I feel like I get different information about the current experience with my eyes closed, what? I haven't figured out, I lose certain parts of the experience with my eyes closed too. I need to find out exactly what info comes from where so I can access it easier.

Sometimes I just feel like I should close my eyes so I do. Then I feel I need to open them for something else. But I haven't figured out what yet. You should play it by ear. Close your eyes when you feel it is the right thing to do.

Feelings are very important, you sense a lot through feelings and intuition. It is easier for a deity to communicate through feelings since our feelings are most sensitive and don't easily get overruled by our brain. Our brain/logic gets in the way of faith. Knowledge of the deity from historical sources can help you understand your god/desses and your hunches and lead you in the right direction.

These are things that can be developed by use. If you have a hunch go for it! If it is a dead end, you learn that certain kinds of hunches lead to dead ends and certain kind of hunches lead to great things. There is a certain feeling generated by different kinds of hunches. Hunches are the first step to actually hearing a deity. You will learn to differentiate between good hunches and bad hunches and know which to follow by the feeling they generate later after much practice.

I don't know if I am saying this clearly... There is an almost imperceptible feeling generated with an idea, a hunch of what you should do. You need to learn to recognize these feelings. The only way I know how to do this is by experience. So follow your feelings, your hunches. That is the only way I know of to get access to these feeling.

You get an idea of something you want to do, anything, but the big things generate more of these feelings. They are your deity telling you yes or no. Bad idea! They say. It is an almost imperceptible feeling as I have said. This feeling will become more apparent the more times you feel it.

You have to be looking for it though. You feel it more on important decisions. Important hunches etc. Try to always follow your god/desses plans for you! You get much further in life and you are much happier! Try things out. If you feel you should do something or you feel something is true try it out. That to my knowledge is the only way to learn.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear them!

With the more hunches you follow you have more data in your brain. More of your feelings recognise the wisdom of certain hunches. Your brain is trying to figure out what leads you to the best outcome. It categorizes your experiences into good and bad. Eventually you will see what feelings are generated at the start of a good hunch and what feelings are generated at the start if a bad hunch. You can totally walk by faith.

Take a walk, ask if you should go right or left. Ask if you should go in this direction. Ask if you should... fill in the blanks... the more you practice hearing the more you will hear. Synchronicity often occurs when you take a walk like that.

Take a drive like that. Ask where you should stop. What store you should go in. Who you should talk to. It is incredible. You will learn much faster doing these things. Ask what book to read. Ask where to start. You may get a feeling to start in a certain chapter. Do it. That may be all that there is you need to read from that book. Ask a lot of questions. Let your god/desses know you want to hear them. You want guidance.

Yes or no questions are great! You absolutely know the feeling of no from when you are a toddler. Yes too. Ask plenty of yes or no questions. Talk out loud. Repeat back what you think your impressions are. Hear them out loud. See how they sound. Ask if your impressions are correct. Do you get a yes to your impressions? Soon you will be able to tell yes or no answers, I say soon, but it takes time. And lots of practice, lots of questions. A real commitment. Something you do all of the time as a way of life.

I am new to paganism. I learned how to hear from my Grandma. She could hear Yahweh very clearly. So could my aunt. My grandma made it very clear to me that hearing god's voice was the most important thing you could ever do. Accomplishing that was going to make an absolute difference in my life, so I worked on it day and night.

Sometimes I know she heard wrong, because she was hearing about me and I had heard differently and the proof was always in how it worked out in the end. The bible says," Wisdom is known by her children." That is 100% correct. And a good thing to live by. But she had absolute faith, unwaivering in what she was hearing. This helps.

Being wishy washy gets you nowhere! Act on what you feel and see where it leads. you learn from experience. It is never a waste of time. I learned to hear bits and pieces of what yahweh was saying. Grandma had heard god out loud once. I really respected her. She was gifted in many ways. She just passed away in August after totally being in dementia for a long time. It was very hard...

My hunches seemed to be always correct. Sometimes I would take a chance and go on a hunch I preferred that I thought was possibly not the best way to go. In essence, I thought my hunch about my hunch was wrong because of my preference. These always ended badly. I learned to stop doing that.

I heard enough to do what I needed to do. The rest was visions, dreams and the Bible. When I left Christianity, I was very angry with Yahweh for many things. The Bible was a big one. I was very angry I followed that book. I was very angry for how my life was turning out because I was a Christian. I thought I had wasted over thirty years serving this god. But I was wrong. I learned to hear. I learned to see visions and dreams. I developed a way of knowing. Yahweh doesn't make it easy to follow him.

I knew also some spirit that I had come in contact with didn't jive with what I knew of Yahweh. The god I had loved wasn't the god of the Old Testament or most of the new one either. This "god" found me. He is one of my spirit guides. Jeshua. He is not a god, but the person who was Christ to me. He lived the life of Christ. But not only him. It is complicated and you wouldn't believe me if I went into it and it is off the subject so I won't. So I didn't waste all of my life! Thank goodness! That was so good to find out!!

I have found the Old Gods are easier to talk to as they aren't judgemental like Yahweh. Also, I can totally hear them! I am so stoked! They don't want to make it hard to follow them. They want it to be easy. They want to be totally accessible. Yahweh wanted to be the inaccessible man in the clouds. He made a great point of how hard it would be to get to know him. It is all over the Old Testament. You can't know me. That was his basic message. That was why he said he sent Christ. What a bad way to have a religion. I am so glad
I left.

I have a lot to learn about following the Old Gods. But I am really trying hard  to make up for lost time... keep it up... you can have a very personal relationship with the Old Gods. They want you to. Do what you do with love.

Don't do anything just because you feel you have to. If you feel you have to do something but aren't feeling the love, wait and ask the Gods why am I doing this thing... then google like crazy. Ask everyone you know who might know. Ask for signs. Do what you can with love while you are praying for answers. Rituals were made for a reason. Find out the reasons.

See if you can make whatever you are doing more meaningful to you. The god/desses don't want a formulaic follower. They want your path to be real and meaningful. Don't do something just because it is done. Try to understand it from their point of veiw. Making it up as you go along is often the best way to go. It has meaning to you. The god/desses want what you do to have meaning to you and not just be some dead thing that had meaning to someone else, somewhere else some time ago.

Tradition is a great thing though. I try to follow traditions. It makes you cohesive with the group and gives you a point of reference. A commonality.  There are often very good reasons traditions were instituted. Othertimes they seem just for fun. Fun is good, right? Try to have a lot of fun on your path.

Cernunnos makes me crack up laughing. I am a very serious person. If it weren't for my husband and Cernunnos I would probably never laugh. Be sure to laugh at yourself often. You will need to following a new path. Otherwise you will just feel dumb too often. Humility is good, but you need to feel that you are just a normal average human making normal average mistakes.

I don't think I can make any really critical mistakes where I am right now. I could do something dangerous I have heard, so I don't take things I do lightly, but everything can be righted somehow. It would be a painful learning experience maybe, but something I would never forget. You need things you will always remember.

I told the god/desses I am just trying things out and they are cool with that. I told them what I do is only a beginner making it's way through a vast new world so I will make mistakes. When I do a ritual I ask for forbearance and forgiveness if I screw it up. They understand. They are kindhearted. They are serious too. I gotta go... I hope that helps.

Thanks for listening,

Love,

Immortal

P.S. I am going to say something you will think I am totally crazy! Everyone will. The imagination is real. Most of the time it is. It is usually reality. The right brain has access to things your left brain could never see nor comprehend. You are usually not making things up. You are perceiving a reality that you don't believe. Try believing something new. Do visualizations. They are powerful. Give the impossible some faith. You can only learn from it.

When I hear god/desses, spirits etc sometimes it sounds crazy. The crazy stuff I usually put on hold for clarification. The clarification will come if it was them. If I just write it off, the clarification won't come for sure because I am not interested in hearing it.

Sometimes they will tell you something that is far out. Just a bit at a time. To see how you respond. They give you a chance to research, to google, to ask around, to dream dreams, then they give you some more. So I never dismiss what I hear right off the bat. Or what I see. Or coincidences.

Never say, that sounds crazy it must be me.... I still say that, lol. But they are teaching me. I write down a lot of what they say or I forget it. I don't write down chit chat... getting acquainted stuff, but maybe I should. There are times I just have no access to stuff to write with too... too bad.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 02:05:40 am »
But also after being atheist/agnostic for a year, I'm trying to get back into the swing of things & learn about other deities so does anyone have advice? Or rituals, or funny stories, or anything really?

As far as advice, I would say--above all--be safe. Of course, you're going to have to go outside your comfort zone. But what I mean is, you don't necessarily have to place yourself in danger when trying to contact spirits, beings, or gods directly. Mythology abounds with cautionary tales of those who do so unprepared.
Advice, in terms of method? I don't really think there's 'one way' that's right for everyone. Some people contact the gods through dreams, some through trance and ecstasy, some though sober prayer or making offerings. And folks receive an answer through different ways, different 'feelings'. Some see something overt, and some see subtle omens that have to be interpreted.

I have really just one main anecdote about contacting the gods. Back when I was a Wiccan, my coven was drawing down spirits for personal reasons. Things went pear-shaped, and long story short is Hermes swooped in to protect us. He possessed one of our priestesses (my fiancée at the time), and 'spoke' through her in the most...just Hermes way possible--we'd ask our questions and he'd tap once for yes, two for no. God of communication, true, but don't forget he's the god of pranks and snark.

Caleb Oak

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: Male
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 10:48:58 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;200169
As far as advice, I would say--above all--be safe. Of course, you're going to have to go outside your comfort zone. But what I mean is, you don't necessarily have to place yourself in danger when trying to contact spirits, beings, or gods directly. Mythology abounds with cautionary tales of those who do so unprepared.
Advice, in terms of method? I don't really think there's 'one way' that's right for everyone. Some people contact the gods through dreams, some through trance and ecstasy, some though sober prayer or making offerings. And folks receive an answer through different ways, different 'feelings'. Some see something overt, and some see subtle omens that have to be interpreted.

I have really just one main anecdote about contacting the gods. Back when I was a Wiccan, my coven was drawing down spirits for personal reasons. Things went pear-shaped, and long story short is Hermes swooped in to protect us. He possessed one of our priestesses (my fiancée at the time), and 'spoke' through her in the most...just Hermes way possible--we'd ask our questions and he'd tap once for yes, two for no. God of communication, true, but don't forget he's the god of pranks and snark.
I just see swirling masses of energy and sometimes black skull shaped faces, but thats about it when i try to meditate so i stopped doing it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:49:22 am by Thrak »

Tags: