collapse

Author Topic: How Have the Gods Said, "Thanks but No Thanks," to You?  (Read 13796 times)

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: How Have the Gods Said, "Thanks but No Thanks," to You?
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:52 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45486
*snip*

I...think I have been rebuffed (multiple times, might I add) when I really think about it. By Lucifer of all beings. Whenever I tried, I just kept getting silence that made me think "Hm. Maybe I shouldn't honor him...". I must've been annoying because I kept trying (until I eventually gave up, I guess). If so...at least he didn't chew me out?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:31:21 am by Tay Redgrave »

altshift

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 10:04:01 pm »
I was talking with Bastemhet on one of my more recent blog entries about being "brutally rebuffed" by gods when you approach them. She mentioned that she's never heard an instance in which the netjeru have done this (and neither have I, actually). I've heard, however, that some of the other gods aren't quite as polite about things like this at times. So, with that in mind...

1. Have you ever been rebuffed by a god/spirit/OTHER(tm) before?
2. Was it polite or impolite?
3. Would you care to share the experience? If so, please do!

Yes, it was Thoth. I wouldn't say he was polite or impolite. I wanted desperately to learn from him but anytime I tried to contact it was like contacting nothing. Not far away, or being ignored, just...nothing.

Through Thoth I found Hermes. He was and still is extremely polite. He said he wasn't for me, that I needed to be patient and wait for whoever was suppose to teach me. I even tried asking a few dozen times who I was waiting for me he'd never say. I get the feeling he just let me hang around so I wouldn't feel lost and alone. And I did hang around, for at least two years. He's still very polite and we're definitely friends/family now. Anytime I come to him now for questions/advice he bemusedly tells me I should be asking the teacher I have now and not him.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 09:15:02 pm »

Yes.

In addition to complete silence, I have got polite "Well wasn't that nice, but you really shouldn't have." (I don't remember from which Goddess), "Sweet of you - run along now, child." (Djehuty), but also anything but polite "Piss off!".

Since the polite "no thanks" aren't that interesting, I'll tell about the impolite ones. :p

So, being Finnish and living in Finland, I thought it might be a good idea to try and honour Finnish gods. I read up, go through studies, read collected poems and whatnot. I use this knowledge to write up what I'm going to say to what Gods and Goddesses and do and finally head off to the woods.

So far so good. I begin my ritual and everything gets odd. Doing offerings doesn't work, as I can't really get anything open, candle flames get blown off - after I've struggled to get them lit AND everything I say comes out all wrong, like my brain's being messed with. I stopped and offered my apologies for bothering the deities (found my ability to speak properly at that point)... After that, I started over with a generalized ritual without any kind of addressing of the Finns.  

Fast forward a couple of years.

Not having learned my lesson, I decided to try and contact Ukko.  Safely at home, this time. :D:  Well, having dogs means they need to be walked, so I take the Pharaoh I had then and head out. We get far enough to be on a path between fields, when I notice signs of a rain storm approaching. "It's still just signs of a storm, but better turn so we won't get wet", I think. WRONG. The storm rode towards us fast as heck and soon we're running down the path with rain starting to beat our backs and soon I hear thunder and see lightnings behind us.

Not good, not at all! To get home, we have to run under power lines and when you're practically chased by lighting, it really doesn't feel like a good idea to go under them. Not that it feels like a good idea to be out in the open either, but you get my point. Taking a chance I and the poor dog run a bit faster to get the going under the power lines done and over with, when CRASH-BOOM! A lightning strikes the power lines directly above our heads! We both duck and I feel like every single pore in my body had opened at the same time, pushing sweat out. The lightnings took it much easier after that and we got home quite shaken, but safe.

I do count that experience as a quite clear "Piss off!" from a deity. :D:

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;86361

I do count that experience as a quite clear "Piss off!" from a deity. :D:

:eek:
I think it is save to say, you translated that one properly. :D:
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »
A couple of years ago I attended a group ritual in which we tried to invoke Freja. She came, laughed at us and then vanished. We must have been completly ridiculous... :whis:

EarthStar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »
I was talking with Bastemhet on one of my more recent blog entries about being "brutally rebuffed" by gods when you approach them. She mentioned that she's never heard an instance in which the netjeru have done this (and neither have I, actually). I've heard, however, that some of the other gods aren't quite as polite about things like this at times. So, with that in mind...

I've been ignored by one or two, but that's it; never 'rebuffed', nothing impolite, and so i just figured it wasn't right at the time.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »
Quote from: Tana;86600
:eek:
I think it is save to say, you translated that one properly. :D:

You don't say! :p I have to say, at the moment of the lightning striking, I did really have a fear of a god in me!

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:16 pm »

Given how I tend to trample all over divine toes, I'm surprised I don't have buckets of these types of stories. Grateful, too.

1. Let's see, there was that time Odin basically told me to GTFO. (There was also tones of Bast telling me to GTFOver here right now.)

2. Somewhere between polite and impolite.

3. Weelllll, I didn't listen. I got signs out the wazoo like I never have before. The day Odin rebuffed me there was a huge windstorm (dust devils and everything, on top of happening at an unusual time of the year). I had a dream that I remembered in full--also unusual for me. I was anxious.

So, I was going to swear a brief oath to Odin (I know, okay? ;)), but when I stood at his shrine, it took everything in my power to light a damn candle. It was like something from within had sprung up to grab me. But I got past it. Then I had to speak Odin's name. By the time I managed to wrangle my tongue, my mom pulled up in the driveway. This was before she was open to paganism, so I panicked. I finally got the hint, though. Odin's shrine got dismantled and was never put up again.

On rare occasions he seems to lurk in the background, and I've thought that maybe he wants me to knock at that particular door again. Then I seem to hear the words, "try me." And not in a welcoming way, either. XD

--

This isn't an actual experience, but at one point I was curious about Brighid. When I started to consider making an introduction and what not, I got a very distinct vibe. It was a cross between, "this will not end well for you." and "You're not mine."

--

Another not actual experience, more of a general enquiry. I dunno how to describe it. I reach out to deities in mental space and once in a while get a response.

Apollo's one of those deities. This was back when I was more active with Hellenic things. The impression was that I needed to work on Hellenic stuff more, then approach him. After that got put on the backburner for various reasons, the answer to my general enquiry was no.

--

Sometimes I wonder if it's all in my imagination. Then I'm tempted to set up a shrine to someone's who's told me, in various ways, not to do it. And then I remember I don't like holy shitstorms, so I back off. I figure if someone changes their mind or whatever, it'll be made very clear.

One must not tempt the gods.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 11:56:23 pm »

When I first started out I did a whole probing of which gods I was drawn to. The Celtic gods flat out gave me the brush off, like I was that creepy guest who crashes the party. I meant no disrespect but it was a clear sign of "No Vacancy". During that time I just followed my nose. I had a number of native american spirits come through who would share with me some lessons on humility and to concern my self with my living life. So I left any considering of the gods alone for a time.

Then there was that time period where I started reading about runes and my germanic heritage. That's when Wotan showed up and gave me a very paternal "Son, you're on the right path but this isn't your stop." and set me back on my path. IT was during this time I had encounter with Lillith (not in her child-devouring lamastu form, but more of the chthonic, independent woman/patron saint of feminist issues form she's been giving in the contemporary age) which was interesting and she put the bug in my ear to get back to what I always felt a home in.

Then shortly thereafter I got a kick in the pants by the Netjeru of "Come home boy! Quit wandering in the desert and return to where you've always belonged". So yeah, I got a major sign of thwapping because I hadn't come home and hadn't seen the very obvious signs they'd been putting out that said "You are our child". The only other gods who've given me such a potently strong feeling/sign of me being theirs are the Katsina spirits of the Hopi, which is part of my heritage (their welcoming was that of "you are of our people, our blood. Your heritage comes from here, and here you have returned and we welcome you wayward child").

The hellenic gods gave me an interesting feeling. They were very receptive, very respectful if you were respectful but knew what you wanted. But the sense I got was if you were of such and such occupation, or had such and such skills they wanted to see brought out...you were to offer to a specific deity/deities and get along with them. Which made it all the more interesting when it was Hecate who showed up and made it clear that she was here to stay.

But the one god that gave me the no apologies "git off mah lawn!" treatment was the Christian god. Even before I was confirmed polytheist, I got the silent treatment then the "you're not of my flock, have nothing to do with me". It was a sobering experience when you're first starting to explore religion. However it did open my eyes to a few other revelations from other entities in my exploring of christian religion (the whole realisation of what angels really were and whom they actually served)
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 12:37:00 am »
Quote from: SerpentineSorcerer;86639
But the one god that gave me the no apologies "git off mah lawn!" treatment was the Christian god. Even before I was confirmed polytheist, I got the silent treatment then the "you're not of my flock, have nothing to do with me".

I got the silent treatment, too. Seems to be somewhat common with the Christian god.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 01:58:23 am »
Quote from: Shine;86645
I got the silent treatment, too. Seems to be somewhat common with the Christian god.

Well, yeah. I didn't even think of listing him, as at the time when I did my "hullo, anybody there?" I was about seven. :D: Anyway, the monotheistic ways haven't ever given me any kind of "this way!" vibe, quite the opposite.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2012, 11:20:51 am »
Quote from: Shine;86645

I got the "brush off" from the JudeoChristian aspect of G-d, but Allah was a lot more gentle about Islam not being my home because, at one point, I really wanted it to be.

Zeus has, under no uncertain terms, let me know that while I am to be reverent we will never be "close." It's almost like the untouchable father you're never good enough for but you give your respect because he made you.

There have been times where I've felt pulled towards the Nordic pantheon, but I can't give them the time they deserve and I get the feeling that going half-assed would get my rear end handed to me. It's an "all or nothing" kind of proposition and I still serve Dionysus and have been given no sign what-so-ever that I can "just leave."

I owe him a life debt and it's one I happily pay.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

EarthStar

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;86650
Well, yeah. I didn't even think of listing him, as at the time when I did my "hullo, anybody there?" I was about seven. :D: Anyway, the monotheistic ways haven't ever given me any kind of "this way!" vibe, quite the opposite.

This has been my experience with the Christian God too; i've tried a few times over the years and never got anything. The Virgin Mary, on the other hand, has always been very comforting when i've needed her, which i found strange considering 'Gods' silence.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;86650

Thniking about it... back to when I was Christian, I had the always the feeling that there was a sort of 'holiness' lingering in my old church,  vast and yet very distant. A sort of 'I am here while you are here but we won't have much to do with each other' insignia.
In contrast, since I committed 'elsewhere' more formally a few times I entered to attend mass for a wedding or something, I got a strong 'what are you doing here? why are you in this not-yours place ' vibe. At first I was sure it was a personal form of proactive guilt-trip, but then, as it happened again, it became kinda strange to deny.
Last time it occurred I actually went in a rushed inner monologue about how I was leaving straight after the ceremony and I respectully asked to stay until it was over.
It eased the discomfort.

I suppose it might be considered rude to enter the temple of Someone you have left a few years after your confirmation ceremony. :o
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;86897
A sort of 'I am here while you are here but we won't have much to do with each other' insignia.

This is what I get from Him all the time.  I've never gotten "why are you here."  Then again, I'm usually there because the church is the venue for our concert, and our chorus often sings music that is relevant to His followers.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags: