Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Blood Binding Ritual for Dedicating a Runeset  (Read 2093 times)

EboLikeRambo247

• View Profile
Blood Binding Ritual for Dedicating a Runeset
« on: March 12, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »
So, I'm planning on doing my cleansing and binding ritual tonight with the full moon. I haven't done much research into binding rituals I'm more just following my gut but I so have a few questions.

As I was writing my ritual, blood binding my Rune set after my cleanse seemed to pour out of my pen before I even considered it.
Has anyone done blood rituals?
How much did you use?
Cut my hand?
Prick my finger?

It seems the most intelligent way would be to just prick my finger and make sure it stays open.
How do I keep the blood flowing through cleansing and binding 25 runes one at a time?

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
Re: Blood Binding Ritual for Dedicating a Runeset
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »
Quote from: EboLikeRambo247;203656
So, I'm planning on doing my cleansing and binding ritual tonight with the full moon. I haven't done much research into binding rituals I'm more just following my gut but I so have a few questions.

As I was writing my ritual, blood binding my Rune set after my cleanse seemed to pour out of my pen before I even considered it.
How much did you use?
Cut my hand?
Prick my finger?

It seems the most intelligent way would be to just prick my finger and make sure it stays open.
How do I keep the blood flowing through cleansing and binding 25 runes one at a time?

I've done this before for my Runes.

I just got a box of lancets for a diabetes meter and use them. It allows you to do this in a controlled manner with minimal risk of infection since they come, ostensibly, sterile.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:48:36 am »
Quote from: Skumring;203674
I've done this before for my Runes.

I just got a box of lancets for a diabetes meter and use them. It allows you to do this in a controlled manner with minimal risk of infection since they come, ostensibly, sterile.

This is probably the best/safest/easiest way.  Out of all the ways I've heard of people drawing blood (for ritual or other use), other than actually having someone draw a vial of blood (and then using it like you would ink), this is probably the way to go.

***Don't read on if you don't want to hear about drawing blood in other ways!!!

Having said that, I have done both the needle finger prick and razor blade for drawing blood before.  Neither yields enough blood for more than perhaps a couple of runes....either that or you have cut way too deep and might need actual medical attention.  In addition, these ways are not pleasant, and definitely have a greater risk of being harmful to yourself.  I haven't blooded my rune set yet, but my plans involve a sterile razor and a lot of time (no more than one rune a day).  I pretty much always recommend the lancet though.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:28 am »
Quote from: Kylara;203684
This is probably the best/safest/easiest way.  Out of all the ways I've heard of people drawing blood (for ritual or other use), other than actually having someone draw a vial of blood (and then using it like you would ink), this is probably the way to go.

Having said that, I have done both the needle finger prick and razor blade for drawing blood before.  Neither yields enough blood for more than perhaps a couple of runes....either that or you have cut way too deep and might need actual medical attention.  In addition, these ways are not pleasant, and definitely have a greater risk of being harmful to yourself.  I haven't blooded my rune set yet, but my plans involve a sterile razor and a lot of time (no more than one rune a day).  I pretty much always recommend the lancet though.

Actually, I've had plenty of success with the lancets. You just want to make sure you've got them all ready for one go and that you're patient. A good, deep, jab with a lancet is good, if you do it right, for about five Runes, maybe more.

Then again, I had lots of practice before I learned how to get rid of my Diabetes. If you use this method, do it manually, slowly, and go as deep as the lancet will allow, on the side of the pad of your finger. That way you'll maximize the blood drawn while minimizing the soreness afterward.

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 05:50:26 pm »
Quote from: Skumring;203686
Actually, I've had plenty of success with the lancets. You just want to make sure you've got them all ready for one go and that you're patient. A good, deep, jab with a lancet is good, if you do it right, for about five Runes, maybe more.

Then again, I had lots of practice before I learned how to get rid of my Diabetes. If you use this method, do it manually, slowly, and go as deep as the lancet will allow, on the side of the pad of your finger. That way you'll maximize the blood drawn while minimizing the soreness afterward.

You can actually get quite a bit of blood from a fingerstick. If the hand is warm, and you sort of "milk" the finger by squeezing from the hand towards the fingertip it will bleed quite a wile before it clots off. I've had to do that several times for tests in the ER than need more than just the drop or two that blood glucose calls for.

Also please remember to clean your finger with alcohol before you use the lancet to minimize the risk of infection. :)

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:51 pm »
Quote from: Noctua;203697
You can actually get quite a bit of blood from a fingerstick. If the hand is warm, and you sort of "milk" the finger by squeezing from the hand towards the fingertip it will bleed quite a wile before it clots off. I've had to do that several times for tests in the ER than need more than just the drop or two that blood glucose calls for.

Also please remember to clean your finger with alcohol before you use the lancet to minimize the risk of infection. :)

I was just coming back to post this, lol. Thank you, Noctua, for beating me to it!

Aethiriel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
Quote from: EboLikeRambo247;203656

How much did you use?
Cut my hand?
Prick my finger?

I have used the lancets that others have mentioned, they're very effective and easy for most things that require a small amount. However we women have something of an advantage when it comes to any kind of blood magic - I personally used menstrual blood for anointing my rune set which I made completely by hand. As I'm sure many here know, moon blood is very potent indeed.

A proper set of Norse runes (certainly Elder Futhark anyway) is 24 runes...curious, are you using the so-called "fate" or blank rune..?
Water knows...flow and grow with me at my blog The Oracle of Water

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:52:12 pm »
Quote from: Aethiriel;204979
However we women have something of an advantage when it comes to any kind of blood magic - I personally used menstrual blood for anointing my rune set which I made completely by hand. As I'm sure many here know, moon blood is very potent indeed.

Not all women menstruate, of course (or on anything like a practical schedule for magical working in a timely fashion.) Some women don't have a uterus. Some have medical conditions that mean they don't cycle (or not regularly.)

And beyond that, while some people consider menstrual blood suitable for magical use and blessing, other people consider it not suitable because it hasn't been circulating the same way as, say, blood from your finger, and has other biological products in it.

Definitely one of those things where there isn't one simple solution.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:52:34 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aethiriel

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;204988
Not all women menstruate, of course (or on anything like a practical schedule for magical working in a timely fashion.) Some women don't have a uterus. Some have medical conditions that mean they don't cycle (or not regularly.)

And beyond that, while some people consider menstrual blood suitable for magical use and blessing, other people consider it not suitable because it hasn't been circulating the same way as, say, blood from your finger, and has other biological products in it.

Definitely one of those things where there isn't one simple solution.

Obviously not all women menstruate, it was more of a general statement which did not include the word "all", and I was simply saying so in giving the example of my personal experience in this context of anointing runes.

While it will often come down to personal preference and yes of course timing, menstrual blood is indeed appropriate for many workings but will depend on many factors. However it is the very fact that it is very different from circulating blood from a finger prick that it can be even more potent for certain objects, purposes, workings, etc. Different blood from different sources, like anything, can work for many different things. And like many things it also comes down to, again, personal preference and intention. The ever-important Intention.
Water knows...flow and grow with me at my blog The Oracle of Water

Shadowstar

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 11:54:51 pm »

I agree with keeping things sterile and clean.  Also agree that getting the quantity of blood needed can be difficult.  I've never worked with runes, but I have done a blood spell once.  I tried to get blood by cutting the heal of my hand, to no avail.  I wound up pricking my finger with a needle and got enough blood to anoint my candle for my spell.

I think going the finger route with the lancets would yield the best results for you without hurting yourself to the point of needing medical attention.  In hindsight, I think trying to cut my hand was a bad idea which could have resulted in permanent damage.  As it stands, I still have the scars on my hand.
What is the "Riddle of Steel?"

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Norse/Slavic Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 06:26:03 am »

Not sure how easy it would be to get a vial of blood for personal use. If you have lancets, like the kind for taking blood for diabetes, those work very well if you use them as directed.

Otherwise...

I, too, have used a razor to draw blood; however, since I DID want to be safe and not harm myself, I only drew a little bit of blood, collected it in a dish, and mixed it with red paint. I used the paint to paint my runes and bind them to me in a very simple ritual (chanting, putting my intent into the runes).

I recommend the paint mixing for safety reasons; I only had maybe a deep papercut's worth of blood, but my runes look and work just fine.

However, I don't recommend just slicing into your hand with a razor or scissors because of the risk of cutting too deep, let alone infection. Use your judgment.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:27:45 am by Hrútsvinr »

Tags: