Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Sports: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017  (Read 11891 times)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Fitness Challenge: Winter 2017
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201869
Yeah, I'm always craving chips around that time of the month. I am such a carb hog. XD

Chocolate. Always.

Anyway, I live! Had a wretched cold last week so I basically sucked and did nothing. This week is back on track so far, although I have not been running yet - work is in a crunch so I've been leaving the studio late. Excuses, excuses, I know. I'm optimistic for next week since I think I'll have a running partner then.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:11 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201869
Yeah, I'm always craving chips around that time of the month. I am such a carb hog. XD

As for my progress, workouts have been going well, though, but I probably won't get to today's until late tonight, since it's going to be about 40C/104F today and I ain't working out when it's that hot, not even inside where it's cooler, so.

I have all kinds of ritual prep to do today anyway, since Wep Ronpet is coming up on Feb 1 (southern hemisphere Wep Ronpet, anyway), and it is the last day of the year. So I have shrines to rebuild and clean and set and organise my rituals, which should at least keep me going until it's workout time tonight.

Oh my goodness, that is hot!  Sounds like you have a busy day too!  Way to plan around weather and other things!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 11:15:29 am »
Quote from: Kylara;201893
Oh my goodness, that is hot!  Sounds like you have a busy day too!  Way to plan around weather and other things!

IKR? Welcome to summer in Australia. It's just great! *melts*

It's midnight and it's still 25C/~79F, so that's fun. :/

I kept my workout simple with a 20 min gentle stretching routine. I figured that would get rid of all the heat stress from my body, which it has done. I didn't even get to it until 10:30pm because yeah. It's been one of those days. D: But then it did make me aware of how inconsistently flexible my body is, because hypermobile joints are fun, kids! My shoulders are the worst, I swear. XD

When I get fitter, and I feel better able to start focusing on particular bits of my body, I want to work on strengthening my shoulders and knees. But that's probably some time away, so I'm not overly worried about it just yet. Getting my lazy body used to exercise is what I"m focused on for now.

I didn't have as productive a day as I'd have liked, but that's okay. I got the statues ritually washed and the shrine set up, so that was the most important bit done. The rest is just added extras. I also did a bit of writing on one of my WIPs, so I feel like it wasn't a total waste.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2017, 04:42:29 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;201871
Chocolate. Always.

Anyway, I live! Had a wretched cold last week so I basically sucked and did nothing. This week is back on track so far, although I have not been running yet - work is in a crunch so I've been leaving the studio late. Excuses, excuses, I know. I'm optimistic for next week since I think I'll have a running partner then.

My cold turned to sinusitis, of the Egyptian brain removal effect. It's the first time since school that I've had to miss three days of class in a row. And of course there was a lot of chocolate involved, primarily of the hot drinking kind. Hopefully I'll be well enough to reboot it all next week. It's very cold, just over freezing at best, so I can't be sure.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2017, 10:24:51 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201896
IKR? Welcome to summer in Australia. It's just great! *melts*

It's midnight and it's still 25C/~79F, so that's fun. :/

I kept my workout simple with a 20 min gentle stretching routine. I figured that would get rid of all the heat stress from my body, which it has done. I didn't even get to it until 10:30pm because yeah. It's been one of those days. D: But then it did make me aware of how inconsistently flexible my body is, because hypermobile joints are fun, kids! My shoulders are the worst, I swear. XD

When I get fitter, and I feel better able to start focusing on particular bits of my body, I want to work on strengthening my shoulders and knees. But that's probably some time away, so I'm not overly worried about it just yet. Getting my lazy body used to exercise is what I"m focused on for now.

I didn't have as productive a day as I'd have liked, but that's okay. I got the statues ritually washed and the shrine set up, so that was the most important bit done. The rest is just added extras. I also did a bit of writing on one of my WIPs, so I feel like it wasn't a total waste.

I think it is sometimes harder to get started (especially when you aren't very active in your daily life all the time) than it is to do harder workouts once you are relatively fit (not that those aren't hard!  Perhaps differently hard is a better phrase...)  Sounds like you had a productive day!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;201907
My cold turned to sinusitis, of the Egyptian brain removal effect. It's the first time since school that I've had to miss three days of class in a row. And of course there was a lot of chocolate involved, primarily of the hot drinking kind. Hopefully I'll be well enough to reboot it all next week. It's very cold, just over freezing at best, so I can't be sure.

Rest up, stay bundled and lots of hot, yummy drinks!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2017, 08:18:00 am »
Quote from: Altair;200447
Check in to this thread

Almost to the end of my 31 day Yoga Challenge....then I have to be more responsible for my own workouts!  But did 7 days of yoga last week.

Measurements this week:
Calf- 17.5
Thigh- 29.5
Hips- 50.5
Waist- 41
Bust- 46
Arm- 14.5

More flux this week in the measurements than before (possibly due to start of my period...will be interesting to see how that pans out in months to come).  Overall this week gained 3 inches (mostly in the bust go figure), but since the start I am still down 1.5.....definitely not stressing it (although when I looked back to see how the measurements had changed and saw the difference in the bust measurement I did break out my tape measure again and retake the measurement because I thought surely it was wrong)

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2017, 09:43:51 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;201896

Just hanging this on here, but yeah. Still at it. The weather has been ... weird. Rainy and cold and sometimes no more than 30C, which is weird for summer. IDEK. *throws hands up and mutters about climate change*

But I've kept my workouts up, even through the weirdness that is the epagomenal days and Wep Ronpet, which I'm quite proud of. There was a bit of a Wep Ronpet hangover in terms of the energy that was hanging around, and I didn't really feel entirely productive until the 3rd, but that's okay.

I suspect it might have been down to me dropping my daily routine entirely in favour of just focusing on the Epagomenal day gods (Wesir/Osiris, Heru-Wer/Horus the Elder, Set, Aset/Isis, Nebethet/Nepthys), and so I wasn't dong my tai chi qigong routine in the mornings. And now my breathing is shot again, so. It's going to take a few days to get back into the swing of things.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2017, 08:35:37 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;202353
Just hanging this on here, but yeah. Still at it. The weather has been ... weird. Rainy and cold and sometimes no more than 30C, which is weird for summer. IDEK. *throws hands up and mutters about climate change*

But I've kept my workouts up, even through the weirdness that is the epagomenal days and Wep Ronpet, which I'm quite proud of. There was a bit of a Wep Ronpet hangover in terms of the energy that was hanging around, and I didn't really feel entirely productive until the 3rd, but that's okay.

I suspect it might have been down to me dropping my daily routine entirely in favour of just focusing on the Epagomenal day gods (Wesir/Osiris, Heru-Wer/Horus the Elder, Set, Aset/Isis, Nebethet/Nepthys), and so I wasn't dong my tai chi qigong routine in the mornings. And now my breathing is shot again, so. It's going to take a few days to get back into the swing of things.

Weird weather is the norm around here lol We've been swapping from below freezing to "wow I could wear shorts today..." sometimes in the same day.

Daily routine doesn't seem such a big deal, until you don't do it!  Getting back into it is a great plan.  And way to keep up the workouts even with everything else going on!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2017, 08:42:47 am »
Check in

Last week was a hard personal week...very low energy, so many days I just wanted to lay around and do nothing.  I finished off the yoga challenge which was 'technically' three days workout, though one was mostly moving meditation.  I had planned on doing more stuff, but between being busy and just not feeling up for stuff, that was all I did.  Energy is coming back now though, so pretty pumped up about pushing up the workouts this week!

Measurements:
Calf- 18
Thigh- 30
Hips- 51
Waist- 41
Bust- 44
Arm- 14

Another weirdish week for measurements lol.  Bust is back down two inches, and arm down one, but calf/thigh/hips up .5  Still netting a loss though.  Definitely interesting to see how drastically that one period week changes things.  Had a bit of a freak out moment though on Sunday (when I measure) as I got dressed in the morning.  I typically house clean on Sundays, so I wear exercise clothes (tank top with built in bra....all tight spandex) and it felt extra tight, though must have just been my imagination (or it washed tight this week).  But after being up in that area last week, I thought surely it hasn't gone up again!  Glad it was all in my head.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2017, 06:04:44 am »
Quote from: Kylara;202373
Last week was a hard personal week...very low energy, so many days I just wanted to lay around and do nothing.

I'm right there with you. I managed to aggravate an old lower back injury, so the last week and a half my usual workout regimen has been on hold--which doesn't help with the waist shrinking. Plus I'm back in cold NYC, which makes running more difficult (once my back lets me do it again).

My last measurement was right before I left California a week ago, and the waist hadn't budged--35 inches--which is meh in that I want to knock off at least another half inch for our challenge, but good in that at least it hadn't gone back up.

But mostly I wanted to pop in to give a shout of encouragement to everyone, because I find this is where focus and purpose tends to flag: the latter part of the challenge. We all started really well, I think, and we have just over a month to go before we finish off, and that's plenty of time to put things right if we've gone astray. So refocus, people! We can do this!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2017, 09:48:08 am »
Quote from: Altair;202470
I'm right there with you. I managed to aggravate an old lower back injury, so the last week and a half my usual workout regimen has been on hold--which doesn't help with the waist shrinking. Plus I'm back in cold NYC, which makes running more difficult (once my back lets me do it again).

My last measurement was right before I left California a week ago, and the waist hadn't budged--35 inches--which is meh in that I want to knock off at least another half inch for our challenge, but good in that at least it hadn't gone back up.

But mostly I wanted to pop in to give a shout of encouragement to everyone, because I find this is where focus and purpose tends to flag: the latter part of the challenge. We all started really well, I think, and we have just over a month to go before we finish off, and that's plenty of time to put things right if we've gone astray. So refocus, people! We can do this!

It's always hard when you have an injury to work around.  Dress warm for your running!  You can always fast walk (if your back will allow) until you are back up to running, just to keep moving.

And very much *cheers to all for making it this far, even if there have been stumbles.  Even when it feels like you are not moving forward, just showing up and doing something towards your goal is a big thing (especially when you have a setback).  Something as simple as stopping in here and saying you have been struggling still indicates a desire to continue on!  Way to go!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:39 am »
Check in

Last week was hard, not only was I sort of on my own (between challenges), but one of the workouts I chose for Monday overworked my legs.  It surprised me because it was only a 5 minute workout, but I guess one of the lunge exercises in it was a bit much because the backs of my legs have been sore all week (mostly feel okay today finally).  Still managed five days of working out last week, with one strength building, one yoga, one day of dedicated stretching, and two of cardio (one Zumba, the other was the first day of my new challenge).

Sunday was the first day of a 21 day fitness challenge, this one is strength building and cardio, about 20 minutes a day, so a much different approach from the 31 day yoga challenge.  I do like the lady that does them though, her workouts can be tough, but mostly are fun and doable (though I modify a lot of the jumping exercises, my knees just can't take that)

Measurements:
Calf- 17.5
Thigh- 29.5
Hips- 50.5
Waist- 41
Bust- 45
Arm- 14

Down .5 from last week, total of -4 (actually miscounted a couple of weeks ago, so had to go adjust my notes!)  I find it interesting to note that I am pretty much changing how I expect to change...the waist has been about constant, but that was what I thought would change last (I seem to adjust most from the outside in, though of course the calf/arm don't have as much change to make so they change smaller).  I am hoping that the next three weeks with more of a focus on both cardio and strength will keep things moving!  I expect to be sore for the whole time though.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
Quote from: Kylara;202587
Progress!

So I wanted to apologize for falling off the map- my work this semester got real intense, real fast and I was unprepared for it. This is the first time I've really had a chance to spend time online in, uh, 2 weeks? More? I can't even remember.

I'm free right now because I have a day off in my lab course tomorrow (finally! my only day off other than spring break) and Wednesday instead of being in the hospital I have a simulation (i.e. test) in the lab, so no patient to pre-assess. Of course I still have a test Thursday but that's pretty standard and I'm beyond freaking over tests now.

So yeah, exercise and I have not gotten along. I do spend most of my days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on my feet, and sometimes there's heavy lifting involved in that too (depending on how mobile my Wednesday patient is). Primarily though the work is emotionally draining, and I'm just now starting to find an equilibrium. I haven't given up, and I do plan on getting back to it when I can.

I did at least have a boon of warm weather yesterday and got a ton of work hauling compost and pulling weeds in my garden. Got my perennial veggie/fruit beds ready for the spring, and now my lower back and butt are delightfully sore from pushing the wheelbarrow.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2017, 08:11:39 am »
Quote from: Noctua;202596

So yeah, exercise and I have not gotten along. I do spend most of my days on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on my feet, and sometimes there's heavy lifting involved in that too (depending on how mobile my Wednesday patient is). Primarily though the work is emotionally draining, and I'm just now starting to find an equilibrium. I haven't given up, and I do plan on getting back to it when I can.

I did at least have a boon of warm weather yesterday and got a ton of work hauling compost and pulling weeds in my garden. Got my perennial veggie/fruit beds ready for the spring, and now my lower back and butt are delightfully sore from pushing the wheelbarrow.

Sounds like you got some exercise in (even if it wasn't a 'traditional' workout!)

I find that on days where I am out on my feet for a good chunk of the day I can get by with a lighter workout, something that is more stretchy like an easy yoga day.  Or something that is fun but not as strenuous.

And sometimes, life just doesn't give you time to add more in!  Way to not give up!

Tags: