Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Just started a Patreon page!  (Read 16910 times)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Just started a Patreon page!
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:28:00 am »
So, I've been writing for a while now, doing both my blog and fiction writing.  Last month I started up a Patreon page to help not only motivate me, but also to hopefully start turning my writing from a hobby into something more.

You can visit my page here:  Kyndryana's Patreon Page

For those that aren't familiar with it, Patreon lets creators make a page and then set up a system by which people who enjoy their work can become Patrons.  I have mine set up for a monthly donation (as opposed to a per-post donation), and there are several levels that you can become a Patron at, starting at $1.

I have also been using my Patreon page as the hub for all the writing I do.  Every Wednesday I write a blog post, about something Pagan related.  This year I have been doing moon phase posts as well, for each of the eight moon phases, specifically focused on working with the energy of that particular moon.  My blog and Moon posts are all publicly available, and you can read them for free on my Patreon site.

I also started what I am calling my Witchy Children stories, which are magical seasonal stories about a group of magical children who live in a large house in the woods with their elders.  The first one went up last month, and the children explored using a game to help them study their herbs.  This month they will be carving lanterns for Samhain and making costumes for ritual.  These stories are available to anyone at the $5 Patron level.

At higher levels (you can read about what you  get at different patron levels along the right side of the page) you will have access to excerpts from other things I am working on that aren't ready to release in full yet, like NaNo projects (one that is up already is an excerpt from my retelling of Norse mythology).

Please check it out, read some of what I am writing and have shared there, and if you enjoy it consider supporting my writing by becoming a Patron (and gaining access to even more writing!)  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  I am just starting out, so I would gladly welcome any feedback....I love to hear what other people think about what I do, whether it is something you enjoyed or suggestions for improvement!  Thank you!

(I checked with RandallS and he said it was okay to post this here)
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Just started a Patreon page!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:25:53 am »
Quote from: Kylara;197214
I started up a Patreon page to help not only motivate me, but also to hopefully start turning my writing from a hobby into something more.

For those that aren't familiar with it, Patreon lets creators make a page and then set up a system by which people who enjoy their work can become Patrons.  I have mine set up for a monthly donation (as opposed to a per-post donation), and there are several levels that you can become a Patron at, starting at $1.

Update!

This month I have some extras for my Patrons.  The Witchy Children story I wrote for last month included eight chants that I wrote, and this month I will be posting videos of them along with behind the scenes information about the chants (thoughts I had while writing, inspiration, and so forth).  I plan on posting one chant chant twice a week throughout the month of November that will be accessible to all Patrons!

Also, I will be participating in NaNo again this year, and will be sharing bits of my writing as I go...every day I write for NaNo I will post a bit of what I have written.  My story this year is about Alestair Windsong, who is Captain of the ship Souldream Seeker.  His crew has sailors of all kinds of magical races, there will be magic and adventure and the crew will find a home on the ship that most didn't have where they grew up.  I'm pretty excited about this story, it grew out of a whole world building game I did with my friends, and we are running RPG's in the world (the ship and crew are my setting and NPC's for my section of the game).

And this is in addition to the things I offer every month, so come by and check it out!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:23:12 am »

I've written something, that I would love to share with everyone.  Writing is my art, and something that brings me great joy.  I have ideas all the time for things I'd like to write about, and most of the time I only have a broad idea of where the story will go. I always start with the characters in my story.  Once I start writing, they sometimes surprise me with what they want to do (which is always lots of fun!)

I wanted to write a story about decorating a Yule tree, and was thinking about fun ornaments that could be made extra magical.  When I was little, we liked to make popcorn and cranberry garlands to put on the trees outside, and that sparked the idea for a whole wildlife tree....because my Witchy Children would definitely want to leave gifts for their outdoor friends!

I always end up doing research for stories I write.  This time, it was looking up Suet and how to make it.  Even when creating a story with highly magical or fantastical elements, I like to found my ideas in science and I always end up learning a ton when I write.

The thing I've enjoyed most about writing the Witchy Children is that they each go about things so differently, and figuring out how each one would approach a project not only helps me develop their characters, but lets me stretch my creative mind as well.

Anways, I hope you enjoy the story I've written as much as I enjoyed writing it!

The Witchy Children decorate a Yule Tree

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:07:27 pm »

I just put up a poll and feedback post on my Patreon, and would love it if people would stop by and give me feedback!  I welcome all comments (either here or there), and any suggestions for improvements....it's definitely been a rough start and I'd like to change that!

The poll can be found here:  Feedback Poll

Thank you!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:07:24 pm »

I just put up a poll and feedback post on my Patreon, and would love it if people would stop by and give me feedback!  I welcome all comments (either here or there), and any suggestions for improvements....it's definitely been a rough start and I'd like to change that!

The poll can be found here:  Feedback Poll

Thank you!

Would still love any and all feedback!

Also wanted to announce that I have started a big project for this year, A Year of Magic

I will be making posts throughout the year, in the Patron section, detailing what I am working on, ideas or theories I am thinking about, and just anything and everything that comes up this year.  While these posts will be closed to the public, you can become a Patron for just $1 a month and see them all!  I will be encouraging discussion and sharing, and would love for people to come by and check out what I am up to. 

I will also be making public posts about once a month as part of my Year of Magic, so if you want to keep up with those, and see more about what I am up to, you can friend me on Facebook, where I will be sharing all my public posts.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:31 pm »
Would still love any and all feedback!

Hey, Kylara--I just tried to answer your survey, but Patreon wanted me to log in; so I tried to log in via Facebook (the other option was via email), and it kept bouncing me to the email option. And then I gave up.

Short version of feedback: I think folks are used to getting things online for free. Where Patreon works best, I think it tends to be with artwork--something that people can immediately connect with viscerally. Writing is a much harder sell. Just my 2 cents.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:08 am »
Hey, Kylara--I just tried to answer your survey, but Patreon wanted me to log in; so I tried to log in via Facebook (the other option was via email), and it kept bouncing me to the email option. And then I gave up.

Short version of feedback: I think folks are used to getting things online for free. Where Patreon works best, I think it tends to be with artwork--something that people can immediately connect with viscerally. Writing is a much harder sell. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting, I didn't realize that you would have to log in to vote in the poll...good information to have!

I totally agree, both about free stuff and art work.  I've definitely noticed that sharing posts on Facebook, that anything I can stick an image on draws people in, but if it looks too wordy people don't even bother to read (which is extraordinary frustrating as a writer!)  I try to find the best snippets to share, and try to grab people with really good scenes.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with me!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:29 pm »
I totally agree, both about free stuff and art work.  I've definitely noticed that sharing posts on Facebook, that anything I can stick an image on draws people in, but if it looks too wordy people don't even bother to read

There are venues out there that focus on longer writing -- I'd suggest AO3, but that's focused on derivative works rather than original writing, I don't know of a similar platform for original works.

As for Patreon, I'm mostly familiar with it through video producers - the most successful method seems to be for the main content (the videos) to be free, with patronage granting access to bonus features, early releases, and input on upcoming content.

Have you considered compiling your blog posts into ebooks and publishing them on Amazon? I think there are some Cauldron members who have done that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:27:51 am »
There are venues out there that focus on longer writing -- I'd suggest AO3, but that's focused on derivative works rather than original writing, I don't know of a similar platform for original works.

As for Patreon, I'm mostly familiar with it through video producers - the most successful method seems to be for the main content (the videos) to be free, with patronage granting access to bonus features, early releases, and input on upcoming content.

Have you considered compiling your blog posts into ebooks and publishing them on Amazon? I think there are some Cauldron members who have done that.

I haven't thought about doing that with blog posts, but I have been wanting to use some of my NaNo projects and my big moon project from two years ago and turn them into ebooks.  I just have to edit (which I hate) and format (which I have to relearn), so it keeps getting put off.  That might be something for me to work on this year!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:22 pm »
So, I've been writing for a while now, doing both my blog and fiction writing.  Last month I started up a Patreon page to help not only motivate me, but also to hopefully start turning my writing from a hobby into something more.

You can visit my page here:  Kyndryana's Patreon Page

For those that aren't familiar with it, Patreon lets creators make a page and then set up a system by which people who enjoy their work can become Patrons.  I have mine set up for a monthly donation (as opposed to a per-post donation), and there are several levels that you can become a Patron at, starting at $1.

2019 Update!

Last October, I started my new story-series, which I am affectionately calling Goth Witch, which is following Zan, a witch who is drawn to darker aspects (but is definitely not evil in any way), in a world where witches are an open and respected part of society.  So, that is the story that is being written, each month, for my Patrons at the $5 and higher tiers.

But I also added a new feature for all Patrons:  weekly goal setting and support.  So, every Monday, I will make a post about what my plans and goals are for the week, and I encourage everyone to join in and share their own stuff!

My plans will include information about my personal life, my writing, my spiritual practice, my gaming....really anything and everything! 

Then, on Friday, there will be a check-in post, where I will talk about how things went that week, what I did well, what I struggled with.  Again, I would love it if everyone joined in!  I will be encouraging and supporting everyone who needs help, as well as celebrating all those wins!

This week, my Planning posts (both Monday and Friday) will be open to the public, so you can get a peek at what will be going on all year...but after this week, they will return to being Patron-only posts (but any patron, starting at pledges of $1 will have access to all the planning posts!).  You can check out Monday's post here:  Monday Goals! and then check back in on my Patreon on Friday to see the check-in!

Anyways, just thought I'd share the news...come on by and check it out!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 04:41:18 pm »
So, I've been writing for a while now, doing both my blog and fiction writing.  Last month I started up a Patreon page to help not only motivate me, but also to hopefully start turning my writing from a hobby into something more.

For those that aren't familiar with it, Patreon lets creators make a page and then set up a system by which people who enjoy their work can become Patrons.  I have mine set up for a monthly donation (as opposed to a per-post donation), and there are several levels that you can become a Patron at, starting at $1.

It's a new witchy year, which means a new witchy story series! This year, I will be introducing you to Rave, a Chaos witch who has a modern twist on many things. Every month there will be a brand new story on my Patreon, and I'll share a little snippet here on my page just to give you a taste!

If you want to read more, please come by my Patreon page and become a Patron. Just $5 a month gets you the entire story every month, plus access to other Patron exclusive goodies.

Here is the teaser for my new story series:

“Gah, why am I even doing this,” Rave complained. “Online dating apps are so stupid, what would I even put? 'I like trying new things, and you never know what I might be up for. I change my mind a lot, and do things when the whim strikes me. I am okay with bending the law as long as you don't get caught, but I will gladly get in trouble sticking up for things I believe in. And I collect dice, which may or may not make an appearance at any given moment.' Seriously, I don't even know if I'm looking for someone.”

“Why not just tag places you like in the city?” Cosmo suggested.

“What, like graffiti?” Rave asked. “I really don't do that kind of thing.”

“You don't do traditional graffiti,” Cosmo agreed, “but you put your sigils up all over, I've seen you.”

Rave laughed, “So, I go and drop a bunch of calling symbols and then just wait for someone to find me?”

“Why not?” Cosmo said, shrugging. “You don't have to make it blatant like that, not if you don't want to. Just think about things you might like to share with someone, whether they are a friend or more, and leave your mark. #Rave.”

Rave snorted, “#Rave, really? That makes it sound like I'm throwing a party.”

“Dude, people are already programmed to look for hashtags,” Cosmo explained. “If someone sees a couple, in places they find interesting, they'll start looking for more.”

“That makes sense,” Rave admitted. “I guess it can't hurt to try. Anything's gotta be better than these dating apps.”

“Truer words have never been spoken,” Cosmo said solemnly.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 11:14:06 am »

New tiers!

I took a bit of a writing Sabbatical, but I just added a new tier (and moved some other rewards around), so now I have a divination based tier (with an exclusive monthly spread), and you can read all about it in this post:  New tiers

For anyone who's enjoying my blog posts, consider checking out other goodies available for patrons!

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 12:12:07 pm »
New tiers!

I took a bit of a writing Sabbatical, but I just added a new tier (and moved some other rewards around), so now I have a divination based tier (with an exclusive monthly spread), and you can read all about it in this post:  New tiers

For anyone who's enjoying my blog posts, consider checking out other goodies available for patrons!

Just wanted to pop in and invite anyone who is interested in divination that I have exclusive monthly spreads.  This year my theme is RPG inspired, so it will follow your journey as the Hero on your way to complete your Main Quest (your big goal or focus).  There are also some free spreads you can check out, and my spreads include an explanation of the different positions.  For the Patron spreads, I also share my own work with the spread for anyone who likes to follow along with an example.

And of course, my Patreon helps support my continued blog writing (which is free for everyone to enjoy), so if you like reading the blogs I post, or enjoy the spreads, please consider becoming a patron and supporting me!

You can find my Patreon page here

Tags: