collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How do you read the Lenormand orcale?  (Read 2535 times)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
How do you read the Lenormand orcale?
« on: December 17, 2015, 06:19:15 pm »
I've heard of this one but I've heard it's read different than in tarot. Could someone explain it to me?
PrincessKLS

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: How do you read the Lenormand orcale?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:03:53 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183594
I've heard of this one but I've heard it's read different than in tarot. Could someone explain it to me?

Here's a link to an article that discusses the difference between Lenormand and tarot: http://www.divinewhispers.net/apps/blog/show/16166562-tarot-vs-lenormand-what-s-the-difference-

The blog that article is on also has a lot more info in the Lenormand section.

And if you search TC for "Lenormand", you should find a couple of relevant threads from within the last year, including some posts I made with more links to resources.

If you have specific questions after looking at these things, I'll try to answer them.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Christinia Forshee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:14:42 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;183606
Here's a link to an article that discusses the difference between Lenormand and tarot: http://www.divinewhispers.net/apps/blog/show/16166562-tarot-vs-lenormand-what-s-the-difference-

The blog that article is on also has a lot more info in the Lenormand section.

And if you search TC for "Lenormand", you should find a couple of relevant threads from within the last year, including some posts I made with more links to resources.

If you have specific questions after looking at these things, I'll try to answer them.

I have been watching Donnaleigh's videos, but it's really strange and foreign to me. I hear it is for a lot of people coming from Tarot, but the funny thing is that I've never owned a Tarot deck in my life. I studied Tarot a bunch but never got one. I know that sounds really weird, but that's just how it worked out because reasons. Donnaleigh does a great job of explaining things, though, and I did actually get a Lenormand deck, so I am kind of pumped to be learning it.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:08:35 pm »
Quote from: Christinia Forshee;186720
I have been watching Donnaleigh's videos, but it's really strange and foreign to me.

What is it that seems strange and foreign to you?

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:28:51 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;183594

I have the Lenomand oracle cards. You can read it like tarots but unlike tarot cards, the meanings are a little more pronounced. In other words, less based on intuition. It can confuse you a bit. For example, there is a card with a book on it. We usually associate books with wisdom, knowledge, rather than say a tree or ashamed. So, its harder to stick with intuition. Tarot cards, from what I see, seem based mainly on intuiton since I cant make anything out of the cards other than guesses. Thats why I dont use them. Too complicated.

There is a correspondence--very nice one--with thecards. Each card, the author writes the traditional meaning, the meaning, and information of what she (or he) feels that card relates to subjects like happiness and success.

In the back it explains how to use it.

It says use one card first. Probably in the morning to get a sense of what your day may be like or what you want to look for throughout your day.

Two or three card spread (my opinion) with a main card on top supports the meaning of the main card.  Three cards can mean past, present, future. It could mean full, quarter, new.

Unlike tarots, its not restricted in correspondence and how to use it. I never used tarots before but I was told it had someting to do with astrology. Leo. cards arent based on astrology.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 03:02:03 pm »
Quote from: ReligiousGypsy;186747
I have the Lenomand oracle cards. You can read it like tarots but unlike tarot cards, the meanings are a little more pronounced. In other words, less based on intuition. It can confuse you a bit. For example, there is a card with a book on it. We usually associate books with wisdom, knowledge, rather than say a tree or ashamed. So, its harder to stick with intuition. Tarot cards, from what I see, seem based mainly on intuiton since I cant make anything out of the cards other than guesses. Thats why I dont use them. Too complicated.

There is a correspondence--very nice one--with thecards. Each card, the author writes the traditional meaning, the meaning, and information of what she (or he) feels that card relates to subjects like happiness and success.

In the back it explains how to use it.

It says use one card first. Probably in the morning to get a sense of what your day may be like or what you want to look for throughout your day.

Two or three card spread (my opinion) with a main card on top supports the meaning of the main card.  Three cards can mean past, present, future. It could mean full, quarter, new.

Unlike tarots, its not restricted in correspondence and how to use it. I never used tarots before but I was told it had someting to do with astrology. Leo. cards arent based on astrology.

It sounds like you're referring to a specific deck and book set.  Which one do you have?

It's true that Lenormand is less intuitive than tarot -- in the sense that each symbol has a set meaning (a group of meanings, really) that doesn't change from deck to deck.

So, f'ex, the Book card always means knowledge or secrets (or similar), no matter what the picture on that particular card looks like. The reader doesn't rely on how the art on the card makes them feel, or their own associations about books, or anything like that.
Reading Lenormand is kinda like reading a sentence, where each card is a word. The order the cards appear on the spread, and things like that, matter.

I find that Lenormand is best for practical questions, while tarot (which I'm only just starting to get into) is better for more emotional or spiritual kinds of questions.

unveiledartist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 12:05:10 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;186751
It sounds like you're referring to a specific deck and book set.  Which one do you have?

It's true that Lenormand is less intuitive than tarot -- in the sense that each symbol has a set meaning (a group of meanings, really) that doesn't change from deck to deck.

So, f'ex, the Book card always means knowledge or secrets (or similar), no matter what the picture on that particular card looks like. The reader doesn't rely on how the art on the card makes them feel, or their own associations about books, or anything like that.
Reading Lenormand is kinda like reading a sentence, where each card is a word. The order the cards appear on the spread, and things like that, matter.

I find that Lenormand is best for practical questions, while tarot (which I'm only just starting to get into) is better for more emotional or spiritual kinds of questions.

I have the blue book and card combination package, I guess. I find Lenormand cards useful for meditation throughout the day. What may I look for or signs in my day that relates to the card or series of cards I have.

I try not to read it by the pictures but some of Lenormand explanations are really helpful and the questions associated as well.

I wish I knew how to read regular tarot cards. My intuition doesnt stay long unless I write it down real quick before I question it.

Id say its a good beginners book and something simple for anyone to use regardless the experience.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 12:24:29 am »
Quote from: ReligiousGypsy;186888
I have the blue book and card combination package, I guess. I find Lenormand cards useful for meditation throughout the day. What may I look for or signs in my day that relates to the card or series of cards I have.

Who is the author?  There are many books and hundreds of different Lenormand decks.

I try not to read it by the pictures but some of Lenormand explanations are really helpful and the questions associated as well.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you try not to read it by the pictures.  Can you elaborate?

I wish I knew how to read regular tarot cards. My intuition doesnt stay long unless I write it down real quick before I question it.

I've always been intimidated by tarot. I have a very bad memory, so the idea of learning 76 cards plus the same number of reversals plus the variations of different decks is very daunting.

However, there's a school of tarot thought that uses just the 22 trumps of the major arcana. So, I'm looking into that. It's much more manageable.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:43:48 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;186890
I've always been intimidated by tarot. I have a very bad memory, so the idea of learning 76 cards plus the same number of reversals plus the variations of different decks is very daunting.

78, but who's counting? :D:

I wish you'd said something about this around me years ago! I have advice for that! Basically, the idea that what one does is memorize all the meanings is, at best, misleading. I've lots more to say on that, but this is a Lenormand thread; I'll (try to remember to) start this topic its own thread. Probably tomorrow; I don't have enough brain left for threadstarting tonight.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: