"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Fall harvest Gods/Goddesses  (Read 3240 times)

quarks

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fall harvest Gods/Goddesses
« on: June 22, 2014, 04:21:49 pm »
Are there Baltic/Slavic harvest Gods/Goddesses associated with the fall/harvest?

Lana288

• View Profile
Re: Fall harvest Gods/Goddesses
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:05:49 pm »
Quote from: quarks;150755
Are there Baltic/Slavic harvest Gods/Goddesses associated with the fall/harvest?

Well, "A History of Pagan Europe" mentioned that Zemyna, the Baltic earth goddess, was sacrificed to in the harvest time, and I think I've run into one or two sites saying Perkunas, the thunder god, was also venerated in autumn. There's also a Latvian god named Jumis that was connected with the harvest in a big way.

So, if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason you're looking for harvest gods, or are you just curious? Either way, I'm grateful for the chance to show off how little I know- it's a rare opportunity for me!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:07:30 pm by Lana288 »

quarks

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:48 am »
Quote from: Balticdragon;150851

So, if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason you're looking for harvest gods, or are you just curious? Either way, I'm grateful for the chance to show off how little I know- it's a rare opportunity for me!

I volunteered to write the next ritual for my ADF group (a druid organization utilizing Indo-European pantheons), and I wanted to use slavic deities.  We are trying to branch out our rituals to include different members.  I'm always interested in learning about different pantheons.  I usually identify as an eclectic Kemetic, so this will be a challenge for me.  Thank you so much for the information!

Lana288

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:58:04 pm »
Quote from: quarks;152538
I volunteered to write the next ritual for my ADF group (a druid organization utilizing Indo-European pantheons), and I wanted to use slavic deities.  We are trying to branch out our rituals to include different members.  I'm always interested in learning about different pantheons.  I usually identify as an eclectic Kemetic, so this will be a challenge for me.  Thank you so much for the information!

I can see why it could be a challenge. Speaking as someone who's researched both Baltic and Egyptain religion, that's a pretty big shift!

Certainly! I love researching the Baltic gods and have no one to share information with, so this is actually a bit of a treat for me.

Speaking of which, I went through a couple of articles last night and found a couple other dieties directly pertaining to the harvest. At risk of TMIing you, I thought I'd go ahead and share them. Here's the list;

Rigiu Boba: Her name means "Old One of the Rye". After the harvest, the farmers would make an idol of her from the last sheaf of... well, rye.

Laukosargas: A harvest goddess. "Guardian of the field".

Laukpates: a harvest god.

Jievaras: Another rye god, who was sacrificed to after the rye harvest. (Don't ask rye, that's just how it was done.)

All four of the dieties are Lithuanian. I got most of them from http://factualworld.com/index.php?q=List%20of%20Lithuanian%20gods of Lithuanian gods if you're interested.

Alright, all done. Good luck with the ritual! :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:13:57 pm by SunflowerP »

Tags: