Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: June Solstice 2014  (Read 5492 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
June Solstice 2014
« on: June 20, 2014, 11:30:34 am »
It's coming! The June solstice--summer solstice for us in the northern hemisphere, the longest day and my favorite holiday of the year. (Yes, even more so than the December solstice, when we Cauldronites do our "Up All Night" celebration.)

Every year I celebrate by it by staying "Out All Day": From watching the sunrise in the A.M. to seeing its last rays set below the horizon, I'm forbidden to set foot indoors, except for the briefest possible bathroom breaks. It's easier to pull off in a city, where there are outdoor cafes and vendors and things, but I've done it in the wild too, where it can be even better (it just takes more planning).

It's a day to smell the roses, to curl up under a tree with a book, to take life at a slower pace, to indulge the senses with outdoor music and fresh fruit and ice cream and tall, cool cocktails, to feel the grass beneath your feet, to bask in the sun, to savor life at its fullest.

Normally I walk or bike miles and miles, discovering new neighborhoods; but my knee is mending from (relatively minor) surgery, so this year I'm spending the whole thing in my roof garden--planting, pruning, weeding, watching it grow. I've always wanted to do a Day in the Life of the garden, keeping watch on it on the solstice from start to finish, so this will be the year.

Do you plan to celebrate the solstice? How?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: June Solstice 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:33:28 am »
Quote from: Altair;150542

Every year I celebrate by it by staying "Out All Day

I forgot to mention that here in NYC, the weather is cooperating this year in a big way: Today we've got sunny skies, low humidity, high in the upper 70s/low 80s, and tomorrow is supposed to be the mirror image. I can't wait!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:36:51 am »

My annual Summer Party falls on the Solstice this year.  Doesn't usually work out that way (the date is moved around to accommodate schedules).  The weather is also iffy this time of year, but it looks like we'll have decent weather.

Much food, booze, homebrew, and frivolity to take us into the down-side of the year!

Brina

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:18 am »
It's coming! The June solstice--summer solstice for us in the northern hemisphere, the longest day and my favorite holiday of the year. (Yes, even more so than the December solstice, when we Cauldronites do our "Up All Night" celebration.)

Every year I celebrate by it by staying "Out All Day": From watching the sunrise in the A.M. to seeing its last rays set below the horizon, I'm forbidden to set foot indoors, except for the briefest possible bathroom breaks. It's easier to pull off in a city, where there are outdoor cafes and vendors and things, but I've done it in the wild too, where it can be even better (it just takes more planning).

It's a day to smell the roses, to curl up under a tree with a book, to take life at a slower pace, to indulge the senses with outdoor music and fresh fruit and ice cream and tall, cool cocktails, to feel the grass beneath your feet, to bask in the sun, to savor life at its fullest.

Normally I walk or bike miles and miles, discovering new neighborhoods; but my knee is mending from (relatively minor) surgery, so this year I'm spending the whole thing in my roof garden--planting, pruning, weeding, watching it grow. I've always wanted to do a Day in the Life of the garden, keeping watch on it on the solstice from start to finish, so this will be the year.

I always want to be up all day from sunrise to sunset, because here the sunrise at this time of year is 4.45am and the sun doens't set till about 9.30pm, so it's a lot for me! I usually try to get up, watch the sunrise, and go back to bed, and then aim to see the sunset too.

Given my CR religion, and being dedicated to Manannan mac Lir, I try to go to the sea, or at least to water, and 'pay the rent', like they do in the Isle of Man. It's also important to me, based on Irish traditions, to have a fire, walk sunwise around it, and then use some of the ashes for home protection. I'm too tired to make a fire myself this year, but I'm going to a grove ritual so I'll collect some ashes from our fire there. I'll be doing some general home-blessing too, as my house is starting to feel like it needs it.

But mostly, it's a day for the Good Folk. When the sun sets tonight I'll be giving them an offering of milk and honey. Wish I'd had the energy to bake some bread for an offering, but what can ya do.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:41:39 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

We had a Yule Feast tonight, me and my parents and a bunch of friends, and it was great. We've been doing them now for about three or four years, I think. I get to decorate the hearth and the tables, and while it's not a Pagan thing, getting together with them all, and lighting all the candles, and just celebrating the end of the long nights, and the return of the light, is just really great.

I'll be doing private rituals tomorrow, though, to mark the day. I'll do them in the evening, so I can get the maximum use out of candles. I'll have the house to myself, too, which makes it a bit easier to manage things.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 01:40:08 pm »
It's coming! The June solstice--summer solstice for us in the northern hemisphere, the longest day.

Thanks for the reminder! I was thinking it was still a week away...this is what happens when you work long, weird hours.

I'll be working more of those long, weird hours unfortunately. I'll be mediating (outdoors) on my breaks, doing a tarot reading (?), wearing some sacred jewelry, wishing people a happy solstice. I wish there was something I could do.

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:21:57 pm »

I might get up to watch the sunrise, although I do hate getting up early.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »

Oh gosh wasn't it just Samhain yesterday???

I don't have anything solsticey planned but I have been contemplating the summer solstice as a time to honor Brighid in Her fiery/solar aspect.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »

Nothing planned so far, since I'll be working at a National Aboriginal Day event. If I have some spare time later in the evening before sunset (I'm heading to another NAD event where I will NOT be working AFTER working :) ), I might light some tobacco outside and leave a glass of water for the spirits, and just try to enjoy the rest of the day. Otherwise I'll just be trying to observe the group Cill shift here at TC.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:33:10 pm »
Quote from: Altair;150543
I forgot to mention that here in NYC, the weather is cooperating this year in a big way: Today we've got sunny skies, low humidity, high in the upper 70s/low 80s, and tomorrow is supposed to be the mirror image. I can't wait!

Did you all hear about the snow that Nevada, Utah, and I think the mountains got? Crazy stuff.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 12:35:30 pm »
Quote from: Demeter Hedgewitch;150605
Did you all hear about the snow that Nevada, Utah, and I think the mountains got? Crazy stuff.

SO glad I wasn't there!

Anyway, a belated happy solstice, everyone!

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:04:07 pm »
Quote from: Altair;150740
SO glad I wasn't there!

You too!

We had a perfect night.  Perfect fire.  Most excellent company!

Fire before...

...and after.

Brina

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;150742
You too!

We had a perfect night.  Perfect fire.  Most excellent company!

Fire before...

...and after.

Brina

Nice! And now I have a one in four chance of recognizing your shoes.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:32 am »
Quote from: Altair;150740
SO glad I wasn't there!

And to you as well! :)

I ended up not doing much. Got sunburned but not as bad as during Pride, and I was just completely wiped out after 6+ hours of working in the heat. It was all I could do to pick up some food on the way home and just curl up on the couch and the bed to rest. XD

I did keep up with my cill shift, though, but didn't do anything special.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 02:57:47 am »
Quote from: Altair;150775
Nice! And now I have a one in four chance of recognizing your shoes.

Alas, nope. I was the one taking the pic.  ;)

Brina

Tags: