Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Open a House of Worship? Not If It's Pagan  (Read 3766 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Open a House of Worship? Not If It's Pagan
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:28 pm »
Yee-haw!

Arkansas town bans pagan temple after finding out it’s not Christian: Your ‘God isn’t my God’

"The high priest of an Arkansas temple said that the city of Beebe ordered him to close after finding out that his religion was pagan, not Christian."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/arkansas-town-bans-pagan-temple-after-finding-out-its-not-christian-your-god-isnt-my-god/
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Open a House of Worship? Not If It's Pagan
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »
Quote from: Altair;150474
Yee-haw!

Arkansas town bans pagan temple after finding out it’s not Christian: Your ‘God isn’t my God’

"The high priest of an Arkansas temple said that the city of Beebe ordered him to close after finding out that his religion was pagan, not Christian."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/arkansas-town-bans-pagan-temple-after-finding-out-its-not-christian-your-god-isnt-my-god/

Shame they did not check the local zoning laws before opening shop. While not quite at the level of 'they brought this on themselves', it was a pretty bonehead move on their part.

Heavens forbid you have your paperwork all squared away before doing something like opening a temple in a potentially problematic location.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;150477
Shame they did not check the local zoning laws before opening shop. While not quite at the level of 'they brought this on themselves', it was a pretty bonehead move on their part.

Heavens forbid you have your paperwork all squared away before doing something like opening a temple in a potentially problematic location.

""We hadn’t even unpacked. We aren’t even open — how are we getting this,” Dahl asked."
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Neteruhemta RaShuGeb

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kristen.nash1
  • Religion: Kemeticism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 05:08:00 pm »

Except for the fact he checked and was not given the correct information:

"High Priest Bertram Dahl told KARK that Beebe Mayor Mike Robertson had initially supported his plans to open a Seekers temple and spiritual good shop in the garage behind his home.

'When they knew we were going to open a church, it wasn’t an issue,' he explained. 'We explained to [the mayor] the house had a building that we could open the church in, and he had no problem."

then later on in the article:

"Dahl, however, pointed out that properties that were zoned R-2 were allowed to have places of worship and private nonprofits, according to the city’s code.

He said that he had asked the mayor’s office for permit applications, even though he was told it would never be approved.

'I haven’t seen any of that [permit application] paperwork. My understanding is he has not asked to be given the paperwork,' Rogers said. 'Had he asked for the paperwork it would have been provided.'

When KARK asked Mayor Robertson about the paperwork, he said that 'there was no permit he could apply for.' Robertson declined to be interviewed on camera."

This sounds more like a blockage than they-didn't-do-it-right.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 02:57:29 am »

This.  I don't think getting an attaboy from the Mayor is as good as a permit.  

But if there really is a blockage, he should go into the city offices and request the permit, in person, with a camera running.  If he's already in an area zoned for a house of worship, then he needs to have that verified by a city official in person on camera.  

If they refuse or impede him in any way, then maybe it's lawsuit time.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 11:10:26 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;150525

This would be my approach. I'm all for folks enriching themselves from the coffers of bigots too stupid to adhere to the most basic tenets of the U.S. Constitution.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;150525
This.  I don't think getting an attaboy from the Mayor is as good as a permit.

But if there really is a blockage, he should go into the city offices and request the permit, in person, with a camera running.  If he's already in an area zoned for a house of worship, then he needs to have that verified by a city official in person on camera.  

There's a video linked in this HuffPo article.  The situation looks pretty gray until the final quote...which seems pretty pointed.

Brina

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:28:48 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;150546
There's a video linked in this HuffPo article.  The situation looks pretty gray until the final quote...which seems pretty pointed.

Talkin' to myself here.

Went to have a look at the church's website.  Their "Teachings" page is full of persecution-ready jargon.  It feels a little like they were spoiling for this fight, which isn't to say they're in the wrong.

Brina

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:26 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;150547
Talkin' to myself here.

Went to have a look at the church's website.  Their "Teachings" page is full of persecution-ready jargon.  It feels a little like they were spoiling for this fight, which isn't to say they're in the wrong.

Brina

"As we try to live our Pagan life, we dream of a day when the local store clerk will not back away in fear at the request for Bats Blood Ink or an Athame."

Does anyone actually use bat's blood ink? And most people who aren't some flavor of pagan don't know what an athame even is, from my experience.

I was all ready to defend this guy until I read that page. Sure, we all dream of a day when we don't have to hide in the broom closet, but I don't think we're as oppressed as he seems to make us out to be. And I feel like he's using the word "pagan" far too loosely to really strike a chord with me.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 05:39:17 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;150559
Sure, we all dream of a day when we don't have to hide in the broom closet, but I don't think we're as oppressed as he seems to make us out to be.

Yeahhhh. There's 'more persecuted than thou' syndrome going on here. My heart isn't going out for their plight.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
Quote from: Sage;150583
Yeahhhh. There's 'more persecuted than thou' syndrome going on here. My heart isn't going out for their plight.

In fairness, when one is dealing with a situation like that, it's really easy to get a persecution complex.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
Quote from: Jack;150584
In fairness, when one is dealing with a situation like that, it's really easy to get a persecution complex.

Only if the person already has a "holier than thou" complex.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 06:13:58 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;150585

Perhaps we are working from different definitions of "persecution complex" because I understand it to mean that one sees oneself as constantly under attack or potentially under attack, which has nothing to do with seeing oneself as better than one's theoretical persecutors.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;150585

No, I wouldn't say so.  Their version of the story was that hte mayor was all enthusiastic about them moving their church to his town until they applied for a permit for a pagan event.

Meanwhile, apparently the church across the street was shining its spotlights in their windows.

One doesn't have to be 'holier than thou' to recognise that, y'know, these people are being total assholes to one on the basis of religion.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 06:45:47 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;150559
"As we try to live our Pagan life, we dream of a day when the local store clerk will not back away in fear at the request for Bats Blood Ink or an Athame."

Does anyone actually use bat's blood ink? And most people who aren't some flavor of pagan don't know what an athame even is, from my experience.

Yes, bat's blood ink is something that is still used, but it rarely, if ever (was it ever?), made with actual bat's blood. The statement does seem more inflammatory, I agree, even though they do have a point. Then again, I don't live in the area, and I can only assume.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:46:04 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: