collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Your Personal Book List  (Read 3541 times)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Your Personal Book List
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »
So some discussion in chat and a recent thread led me to ponder the following question:  If I were to recommend, say, twenty books to someone so that they could become enlightened about my religious/spiritual practice or background, what would they be?

And that struck me as an interesting thread, so I'm starting the thread.  If you had to recommend twenty books to give someone guidance about your religious life, what would they be?

(Note, I'm not asking "What are your twenty pagan religion recommendation" books, though I expect that a chunk of most people's lists will have pagan books relevant to their paths.  I'm asking for the books that are relevant to what you as an individual do/believe/know about the world.)

(I was going to hold off on posting this thread until I had my twenty but I've lost something important so I'm going to let other people noodle and do my post when I have it.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your Personal Book List
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:51:19 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;150313
So some discussion in chat and a recent thread led me to ponder the following question:  If I were to recommend, say, twenty books to someone so that they could become enlightened about my religious/spiritual practice or background, what would they be?

And that struck me as an interesting thread, so I'm starting the thread.  If you had to recommend twenty books to give someone guidance about your religious life, what would they be?

(Note, I'm not asking "What are your twenty pagan religion recommendation" books, though I expect that a chunk of most people's lists will have pagan books relevant to their paths.  I'm asking for the books that are relevant to what you as an individual do/believe/know about the world.)

(I was going to hold off on posting this thread until I had my twenty but I've lost something important so I'm going to let other people noodle and do my post when I have it.)

I like this idea.

But I have a problem. There are 40 (I think) Discworld books so that's my 20 books gone. Can I just group all the relevant Discworld books together as 1 of the 20 or not?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 03:09:55 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;150317
But I have a problem. There are 40 (I think) Discworld books so that's my 20 books gone. Can I just group all the relevant Discworld books together as 1 of the 20 or not?

That's kind of what I'm doing.  (I'm picking out the most directly relevant single title and then sort of adding parentheticals for 'and other stuff by this author', sometimes specifically.)
we rise and fall

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 03:17:54 pm »

My list!

The Velveteen Rabbit, Margery Williams

One, Two, Three... Infinity, by George Gamow

Mindsteps to the Cosmos, by Gerald S. Hawkins

Reclaiming the Commons: Community Farms and Forests in a New England Town, Brian Donahue

Hogfather, Terry Pratchett (supplement: Carpe Jugulum, the Tiffany Aching stories, various others)

Cyteen, CJ Cherryh (supplement: Forty Thousand in Gehenna, Wave Without a Shore, Rusalka series, some others)

Paladin of Souls, Lois McMaster Bujold  (also The Curse of Chalion, to which it is the sequel, but reasons)

The War God's Own, David Weber

A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin (also The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed)

Ritual: Power, Healing, and Community, Malidoma Patrice Somé (and other things he wrote!)

Water and Womanhood: Religious Meanings of Rivers in Maharashtra, Anne Feldhaus

Temple of the Cosmos, Jeremy Naydler

My Heart, My Mother: Death and Rebirth in Ancient Egypt, Alison Roberts

The Mind of Egypt: History and Meaning in the Time of the Pharaohs, Jan Assmann (also everything he wrote ever)

Etheric Anatomy, Victor and Cora Anderson (and other works)

Witches, Werewolves, and Fairies: Shapeshifters and Astral Doubles in the Middle Ages, Claude Lecouteaux (and other works)

The Faery Teachings, Orion Foxwood

Complete Poems and Plays, 1909-1950, TS Eliot

The United Methodist Hymnal

Digger, Ursula Vernon
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:19:01 pm by Darkhawk »
we rise and fall

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »

The God of Small Things by Aurundati Roy

Watership Down By Richard Adams

An Inspector Calls By J.B Priestley

Hogfather, Small Gods, The  Lancre witch collection and large parts of Sam Vimes philosophy all by Terry Pratchet

Lots and lots of poetry and poetics

The Prose Edda Trans by Jesse Byock

The Elder Edda Trans by Andy Orchard

The Mabinogion Trans By Sioned Davis

Skin: Talking about Sex, Class, and Literature By Dorothy Allison

The Annotated Brothers Grimm by Maria Tatar

A Dictionary of English Folklore By Jacqueline Simpson (and other stuff by her)

The English Year By Steve Roud

The Stations of The Sun by Ronald Hutton

The Unofficial Countryside by Richard Maybe (and lots of other books about nature writing and "Edgelands")

The Tain trans by Thomas Kinesella

The Element Encyclopedia of 500 Spells by Judika Illes

Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews By Scott Cunningham

New Book of Herbs By Jekka Mcvicar

The Moomins and the other Moomin books By Tove Janson

Complete illustrated guide to Aromatherapy by Julia Lawless
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »
If you had to recommend twenty books to give someone guidance about your religious life, what would they be?

• Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak - because I'm still a wild thing
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Madeleine L'Engle - all of the Time Quartet novels are precious to me, honestly, but the concept of 'going within' in this novel gave me vocabulary for a thing I was already doing at the time.
  • So You Want To Be A Wizard, Diane Duane - names mean things, and words are magic. Mind you, the importance of naming things also comes up in A Wind in the Door, but I'm trying to limit myself to one from a series. Also I love the crap out of all of these books, too, but in this case the first one in the series was the one that blew my mind.
  • Witch Week, Diana Wynne Jones - whereas for some reason, the only Chrestomanci novel my library had was this one; I didn't know there were more than one until I was twelve or so. (Which made the appearance of Chrestomanci at the end of the novel rather odd when I was first reading it.) More alternate universes, and the idea that some are more magical than others, and
  • Bullfinch's Mythology - this was my favorite mythology book as a kid
  • The Egypt Game, Zilpha Keatley Snyder - "oooh, I can do that with myths?"
  • Searching for Dragons, Patricia Wrede - my first exposure to string-magic
  • Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson - storytelling as world creation
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury - the Illustrated Man is basically spirit dad, and I still use dark rides as a kind of trancework
  • Book of Atrus, Rand & Robyn Miller - writing as creation
  • The Crow, James O'Barr - gave me a framework for psychopomping. also shut up.
  • The Thread That Binds the Bones/The Silent Strength of Stones, Nina Kiriki Hoffman - okay, I'm straight up cheating here because a huge chunk of how I think about energy, magic and elements comes from both of these books, and from Nina Kiriki Hoffman's short stories, and her other books, and basically I owe her so, so, so much and you should immediately go read everything you can find with her name on it if you like fantasy, urban fantasy, sci fi, etc.
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits, Garth Ennis - John Constantine was my magical role model from the age of sixteen or so until I got old enough to realize why that was a bad plan
  • Sandman: Brief Lives, Neil Gaiman - Delirium taught me that if I couldn't be sane, I could at least use my mind to my advantage
  • Cosmos, Carl Sagan - because we are all star stuff
  • Liber Kaos, Peter Carroll - hey, look, an occult book!
  • Bathhouse at Midnight, W. F. Ryan - I bought this on a whim at the campus press book sale and it kind of accidentally showed me the way the intersection between academia and practice could work
  • Virtual Adepts Tradition Book - or maybe the Orphans Survival Guide... standing in for Mage as a whole... which kind of stands in for the World of Darkness as a whole...
  • The House That Jack Built: The Collected Lectures of Jack Spicer - the concept of dictation; again, something I was already doing that I was thrilled to find a better vocabulary for than channelling or automatic writing
  • Kindling Our Stars, Genevieve Wood - but seriously, you have no idea how much frothing and angsting I did over adding the word Flamekeeper to my profile. Totally worth it for that internal work alone, but also it is awesome.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »

So, first of all, I have to note that I have a strong belief that a part of the thing about books is that they stick with us because we read them at the right time in our lives. Not all these books are fabulous books, but they were the right book for me at a particular point (going back to my late teens, so about 20 years now.)  

1) Pamela Dean's _Tam Lin_ for reasons that are about stubborness and keeping going in the complicated times, and history (and its perspectives) and learning from other people's experiences, and the power of language and story.

2)  Ellen Cannon Reed's _The Heart of Wicca_ : one of those books where I don't quite agree with everything it says, but it always makes me think, and it gives me framework for asking questions about what I want things to be like.

3) Lois McMaster Bujold's _The Curse of Chalion_, which is the closest thing I've seen anywhere, fiction or non, to how I deal with the deities I honour, and the complexities thereof.

4) Starhawk and Hilary Valentine's _Twelve Wild Swans_. Reclaiming is not my tradition, but this is one of the better variants of taking a specific story and using it to create ritual and a framework for a spiral of learning that I know.

5) Diana Paxson's _Trance-Portation_ : Silly title, very pragmatic book, and excellent precautions and troubleshooting tips.

6) _RitualCraft_ by Amber K and Azrael K : Good overview of a lot of different kinds of ritual tech, and while I got a lot of what's in there from other sources, as a book that has large chunks of it in one place, very handy.

7) Robin Wood's _When, Why ... If_ : required reading in my trad, and a very excellent overview of how to create and test an ethical system.

8) Rosemary Edgehill's _Bell, Book, and Murder_ : Fiction, set in the New York City Pagan community of the 80s, more or less, but many of the general types are still widely recognisable. There are places I'd clarify it to someone reading it, but a lot of what shows up in those three books (this is the omnibus version) talk about how we are in community, and the good and bad parts of that.

9) The Arrows trilogy, by Mercedes Lackey: one of the first books I read about energy management and why you should .

10) The Adept series by Katherine Kurtz. I love her other books, too, but the Adept series has so much about the progression of learning esoterica, and how you build things that fit together.

11) The Harry Potter series, not so much directly for the books themselves, but because it lead to me getting involved in the HP Alternity project 6 years ago, and that has been such an amazing experience in so many ways. On the religious side, I'd have to say that dealing with complicated ambiguous ethical issues, around the uses and abuses of magic, and power, and control and consent are high on the list. (There's a thread talking more about this project over here.) (I've also learned a huge amount from the collaborative give and take from the project, and how you get things done over a long period of time with people who have very different ideas sometimes, but that's a tangent to this conversation. .)

12) The New Testament in the original koine Greek, as a reminder of both familial religious history and preference, and of how words matter in religion, and translations are complicated, and how the world changes.

I think I'd have to mull a lot more to get up to 20, so I am going to stop here and post.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:58:03 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:42 am »

I could not get this list down to 20, so the most important 22 are here, and a longer list has gone into a post on my blog. So, in no particular order:

'American Gods', Neil Gaiman
"Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end."

'Deep Ancestors: Practicing the Religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans' – Ceisiwr Serith

'Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation', Eli Clare
"Laugh and cry and tell stories. Sad stories about bodies stolen, bodies no longer here. Enraging stories about the false images, devastating lies, untold violence. Bold, brash stories about reclaiming our bodies and changing the world."

'Rivers of London' - Ben Aaronovitch
"I once asked my dad how he knew what to play. And he said that when you get the right line, you just know because it’s perfect. You’ve found the line, and you just follow it."

'Celtic Myths and Legends', Eoin Neeson
My first proper encounter with Irish myth, as a teenager.

'Druidry and the Ancestors', Nimue Brown

'Cailleach: The Hag of Beara', Leanne O'Sullivan
"...the darkness that would be cast / between the moment that I could destroy / and the moment when I would devour." - The Watcher and the First Sight

'Carmina Gadelica' (especially the translation/re-imagining by Morgan Daimler)
"The Three who would protect me / Keep me this night and always"

'Triumph of the Moon', Ronald Hutton

'The Book of the Cailleach: Stories of the Wise-Woman Healer' - Gearoid O Crulaoich
"Nature is renewed eternally in the recounting of the tales of how Cailleach Bhearra impressed herself onto and expresses herself within a landscape made both vital and sacred by association with her divine and sovereign presence."

'The Life of Pi', Yann Martel
"The story with the animals is the better story."
"And so it goes with God."

Pistis Sophia
"Thou has set the light of thy stream in me; I have become a pure light-power..."

'Loneliness and Revelation', Brendan Myers
"I am empowered with the knowledge that as I say this prayer, thousands or even millions of people say it with me, and I am not alone."

'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' - Philip K. Dick
"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity."
"Everything is true," he said. "Everything anybody has ever thought."

'Drawing Down the Moon' - Margot Adler
"I acted out the old myths and created new ones, in fantasy and private play. It was a great and deep secret that found its way into brief diary entries and unskilled drawings. But like many inner things, it was not unique to me."

'She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse' - Elizabeth Johnson

'The Time Traveller’s Wife', Audrey Niffenegger
"Through each moment I can see infinite moments lined up, waiting."

'The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries' – W.Y. Evans-Wentz

'The Essential Rumi'
"Why do you stay in prison / when the door is so wide open?"

'Ogam: Weaving Word Wisdom' - Erynn Rowan Laurie
"With poetry the world is made."

'Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure' – Catherine Yronwode

'The Art of Conversation with the Genius Loci', Barry Patterson

And a very short TV list:

Babylon 5
"We are the universe trying to figure itself out..."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do..."

Doctor Who
"We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:05:23 am by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

acidrica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:03:20 am »

I might have to come back to this list later, but this is what I have so far.

1. Why Does He DO That?: Inside the minds of angry and controlling men by Lundy Bancroft - This explains a bit how I react to toxic people, I guess.

2. Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh - This book just resonates with me a lot.

3. Talking to the Spirits: Personal Gnosis in Pagan Religion by Kenaz Filan and Raven Kaldera - I read this book at a time when I was having trouble reconciling my mental illness with my faith, and it really said some things I needed to hear. Things I think most people should hear.

4. Kindling Our Stars: Nurturing Bright and Dark Flames by Genevieve Wood- Flamekeeping yes. My basic view of the world.

5. Clays Beneath the Skies by M.C.A Hogarth (And other books in her Jokka series of stories)

6. Temple of the Cosmos - Jeremy Naydler

7. The Shining Cities: An Anthology of Pagan Science Fiction published by Neos Alexandria

8. So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (the whole Young Wizards series, even)

9. The Everworld series by K.A. Applegate - Yeah, this is a weird one, but it first got me interested in deities, and gave me the idea that not all of them are infallible, which is something I mull over a lot. Is it true that the gods aren't perfect and don't always know what I need? I don't know.

I...ran out, I'll come back to this later.

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;150387
I could not get this list down to 20, so the most important 22 are here, and a longer list has gone into a post on my blog. So, in no particular order:

And a very short TV list:

Babylon 5
"We are the universe trying to figure itself out..."

Doctor Who
"We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

first, yes if anyone wants to understand me, my path or my view on things.. watching and understanding Babylon 5 would be a huge step. Thought I tend to more lean towards G'kar than De'lenn: "The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain."

now onto books:

" If I were to recommend, say, twenty books to someone so that they could become enlightened about my religious/spiritual practice or background, what would they be?"

-Buffalo Woman by Dorothy M. Johnson- was a huge turning point book for me. Learning about virtues like generosity, and real leadership and that it wasn't just men that could have those virtues.

-Dark Moon Rising:Pagan BDSM and the Ordeal Path by Raven Kaldera- showed me  a lot that I've incorporated into my healing and spirituality.

-Last Herald-Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey(and the books in Winds series that deal with the Tayledras).

-Vows and Honor duology/trilogy by Mercedes Lackey- specifically the four aspects of Male and Female divinity. I already felt that , but it was the first place I found it

-Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop(along with Heir to the Shadows and Queen of Darkness)

-Soul Retrieval by Sandra Ingerman

-Pathwalker's guide to the Nine Worlds by Raven Kaldera- go ahead and add the rest of this series..

-Walking the Heartroad by Silence Maestas

-The Devil's Right Hand by Lillith Saintcrow

-Fifty years in the Feri tradition by Cora Anderson

-kissing the limitless by T.Thorn Coyle

there's more , but my brain is a little full right now

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »
If you had to recommend twenty books to give someone guidance about your religious life, what would they be?

I don't have 20 books to recommend or even a path that I follow, but these books came to my mind.

1. Neverwhere and anything else by Neil Gaiman. I was still a high school Wiccan when I read this book.

2. Elric: Song of the Black Sword by Michael Moorcock. I found it this morning when I was cleaning, thought it ran away years ago.

3. Elfquest by Wendy and Richard Pini. I was young when I started reading them.

4. 365 Tao for poetry and meditation

5. The Hobbit and Tolkien's other books. I've read the Hobbit at least 10 times and am about to read it to my six year old son. I also have the Illustrated Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare.

6. Fairytales I have many compilations but the ones illustrated by Arthur Rackham are my favorites. I also have his illustrated Wagner's Ring.

7. Drawing the Head and Figure by Jack Ham and other art books. Art is a big part of my life.  

I can't think of anything else right now. I wish I had more time to read for pleasure and not just my school books.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:31 pm »

Vows and Honor Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey

Night World Series by LJ Smith (and other works by her)

Hymns to Isis in Her Temple at Philae by Louis V Zabkar

Finding Soul on the Path to Orisa by Tobe Melora Correal

Kissing the Limitless by T. Thorn Coyle (and other books by her)

The Great Goddesses of Egypt by Barbara Lesko

Aspects of the Goddess Nephthys, Especially During the Greaco-Roman Period in Egypt by Jessica Levai

The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook by Tamara Siuda (and other works by her)

The Traveller’s Guide to the Duat by Kiya Nicoll

Le Temple de Dendara vol. 1-6; 8; 13-15 by Sylvie Cauville

The Temple of Shanhur: Volume 1 by Harco Willems  and Filip Coppens, et al

Dealing with Deities by Raven Kaldera

When the Lion Roars by Galina Krasskova

Exploring the Northern Tradition by Galina Krasskova

Magic of the Norse Goddesses by Alice Karsdottir

Spindle Hearth by Kate Dooley

Black Gods: Orisa Studies in the New World by John Mason

Oya: In Praise of an African Goddess by Judith Gleason
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

AineLlewellyn

• Journeyman
  • 2020 resolution? goth
    • View Profile
    • of the Other People
  • Religion: New Religious Trad/New Gods (Otherfaith)
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him They/Them
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:07:15 am »

1. Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. It's all about journeying to the otherworld and the politics of that. It doesn't explore that enough, really, but I love the books dearly.

2. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Not sure if I love it because it reflects the world of some of my spirits, or if my spirits reflect the world that I read.

3. The Earth Path by Starhawk. I'm surprised I actually still like this book, in all honesty, but I really enjoy and get use out of the practices inside.

4. Loveless by Yun Kouga. I dunno if you would count manga? This series gets a bad rap as just 'gay cat boys' but it's a really interesting exploration of what it means to be a child and what it means to be an adult, what love is, and the power of words. The new translation by Viz is also much better than the first Tokyopop one - they've captured the actual story much better.

5. The Frame of Mind series by Lomonaaeren. I'm bending the rules a bit, since this is a Harry Potter fanfiction. (I wish I could put Harry Potter on here, but the more I read of the fic the more I preferred the fic to the canon...sorry!) I love the ideas that are presented in this series - diving into someone's soul, the way souls are described, all of it. Very reminiscent of journeying to me.

6. Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones. Haven't even finished it but it's on the bookshelf beneath the shrine that's for special/wonderful fiction. Her writing is...so enjoyable, and the feel the book has is amazing.

7. Brian Froud's faery books. Because they're what first got me involved with faeries and they're stunningly beautiful.

That's...all I can think of now, sadly!

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »

In no particular order:

1. All of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, especially the witch books, and most especially Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum.

2. Mary Stewart, Thornyhold

3. Marion Zimmer Bradley, The Mists of Avalon

4. Margaret Atwood's cycle Circe/Mud Poems in the collection You Are Happy

5. Angela Carter, Burning Your Boats

6. D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

7. Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden

8. Grimms' Fairy Tales

9. Sara Maitland, Gossip From the Forest

10. Ronald Hutton, Triumph of the Moon

11. Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales

12. J. R. R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

13. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

14. Homer, Odyssey

15. Katharine Briggs, Encyclopedia of Fairies

16. Marina Warner, No Go the Bogeyman

17. Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum

18. Starhawk, The Spiral Dance

19. Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry

20. Hannelore Valancak, When Half-Gods Go

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
Quote from: catja6;150824
In no particular order:...

Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

• Kindling Our Stars by Genevieve Wood
  • The Traveller's Guide to the Duat by Kiya Nicoll
  • Through the Looking Glass, and what Alice found there by Lewis Carroll
  • The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
  • Dark Moon Rising: Pagan BDSM and the Ordeal Path by Raven Kaldera
  • Eternal Egypt by Richard Reidy
  • Egyptian Mythology by Geraldine Pinch
  • My Heart, My Mother by Allison Roberts
  • Nightseer by Laurell K. Hamilton, along with the other stories set in the Nightseer universe  (these are the only LKH books I can tolerate)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
  • Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I'm struggling to pin the others down.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: