Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Recommended Celtic Blogs  (Read 15989 times)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Recommended Celtic Blogs
« on: June 03, 2014, 02:38:42 pm »
Celtic polytheism envelops a great deal; living a life in accord with Celtic values begs the question, which Celtic values? With reading lists a mile long, it can be very hard to sort through and determine what's relevant and useful for oneself, and what isn't.

And thus, the Recommended Celtic Blog list! This is a space for anyone to suggest blogs focused on Celtic polytheism. I encourage anyone making a suggestion for the list to tell us a little bit about the blog and why they think it's a worthwhile read. You can also comment on previously recommended blogs to share an alternative point of view.

(Two quick notes: 1) There is sometimes confusion over whether druidry belongs in this SIG. Druidic blogs are welcome on this list, if they are Celtic in focus. Historical druidry was Celtic, but modern druidry can draw from a wide range of sources, and non-Celtic druidry is better suited for the Neo-Druidry SIG. 2) What if the blog isn't just Celtic? That's totally fine! Just let us know what else to expect in your description. Thanks!)

Edited on 6/5/14: I was originally going to keep an updated list in this first post, but I think it'll be too unwieldy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:19:04 pm by Juni »
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Recommended Celtic Blogs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »
Quote from: Juni;149308
Celtic polytheism envelops a great deal; living a life in accord with Celtic values begs the question, which Celtic values? With reading lists a mile long, it can be very hard to sort through and determine what's relevant and useful for oneself, and what isn't.

And thus, the Recommended Celtic Blog list! This is a space for anyone to suggest blogs focused on Celtic polytheism. I encourage anyone making a suggestion for the list to tell us a little bit about the blog and why they think it's a worthwhile read. You can also comment on previously recommended blogs to share an alternative point of view.

The List
coming soon!

(Two quick notes: 1) There is sometimes confusion over whether druidry belongs in this SIG. Druidic blogs are welcome on this list, if they are Celtic in focus. Historical druidry was Celtic, but modern druidry can draw from a wide range of sources, and non-Celtic druidry is better suited for the Neo-Druidry SIG. 2) What if the blog isn't just Celtic? That's totally fine! Just let us know what else to expect in your description. Thanks!)

Personal blogs

These are some of the Celtic Pagan blogs that I follow (mainly Gaelic polytheist/other Celtic polytheist, some Celtic neo-druid). As with all such things, not everyone will like all these blogs, but it's a selection, at least!

Living Liminally - Morgan Daimler's blog. She has written books on Gaelic recon-style druidry, among other things. Lots of really good research here. She's both a Gaelic Pagan and a Heathen, so she talks about both on the blog.

Tairis - blog by Seren, the current leader of Gaol Naofa. She draws on both Irish and Scottish sources. A personal blog, but with a good mix of research and practice.

Tairis Tales - another blog by Seren, this one for excerpts of Gaelic mythology and folklore. She's tracked down some amazing stuff here.

Three Shouts on a Hilltop - really well-researched Gaelic polytheism blog.

Paganarch - Rhyd Wildermuth's Welsh polytheist mystical-type blog. Very interesting.

The Guiding Light - blog of a Gaelic polytheist in Ireland. Helpfully practice-focused.

Amhran nam Bandia - the blog of a Gaelic reconstructionist, one of the founders of Gaol Naofa. A mix of campaigning and scholarly-focused writing. Links to rituals and resouces.

The Lefthander's Path, a CR blog, with some other Paganism mixed in. Links, community resources, news, myths - everything.

Scathcraft - If you read French, Scathcraft is a lovely set of reflections on CR practice, bits of European folk magic, and other good stuff. Even if you don't, there's always Google Translate!

Celtic Scholar's Reviews - a CR book review site by a very well-informed Gaelic polytheist. She reads everything, and her reviews are very helpful if you want a quick guide to whether you might find a book useful.

Journeying On - blog by my friend Potia, who is a Brythonic polytheist druid. She talks a bit about her personal practice there, which combines the two in interesting ways. Not just Celtic, but a fair bit of that.

Trials of a Féinnid - Irish polytheism and the warrior path. The writer is building a tradition based on Fénidecht. He shares some really good CR rituals and resources here.

Mo Thearmann - another Gaol Naofa member. Gaelic polytheism: research and practice.

Meanderings along Polytheist Paths - reviews and thoughts by a Gaelic polytheist.

From Pendervent - the poetry blog of a Brythonic polytheist. Devotions and bardic stuff.

Stone of Destiny - personal, often CR-based musings.

Ellen Evert Hopman - another writer - she's written a book about Scottish traditions, among others. I link to this blog with a bit of a caveat - I think she sometimes makes into not-very-well-supported claims, and I certainly wouldn't recommend all her books. Her blog is interesting, though, not least because of the interesting Celtic archeological and cultural news she links to.

The Controversial Celt - hasn't been updated for a while, but some interesting old posts, including ethical and community-based discussions.

Academic blogs

Celtic Studies Resources - very comphrehensive list of online academic resources, and the writer has an article aimed at neopagans about how to choose your Celtic reading well.

Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic - the blog of a university Celtic and Norse Studies department. Interesting news and academic updates, especially archeological.

Scéla - a Celtic Studies blog with a medieval focus. Really interesting - myths and manuscripts and more.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:06:32 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;149425
Personal blogs

These are some of the Celtic Pagan blogs that I follow (mainly Gaelic polytheist/other Celtic polytheist, some Celtic neo-druid). As with all such things, not everyone will like all these blogs, but it's a selection, at least!

Holy Hell Nay, this is amazing! Thank you!
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »
Trials of a Féinnid - Irish polytheism and the warrior path. The writer is building a tradition based on Fénidecht. He shares some really good CR rituals and resources here.

Thanks, Nay!  This is a fantastic resource!! I'm really looking forward to reading many of these.

The link to Trials of a Féinnid doesn't seem to work, though.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sophia C

• View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:43:14 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;149525
Thanks, Nay!  This is a fantastic resource!! I'm really looking forward to reading many of these.

The link to Trials of a Féinnid doesn't seem to work, though.

Don't know how that happened, sorry. Trying again:

Trials of a Féinnid
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 03:31:16 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;149567
Don't know how that happened, sorry. Trying again:

Trials of a Féinnid

That one works.  Thanks!!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:59:22 am »
Personal blogs

Living Liminally - Morgan Daimler's blog. She has written books on Gaelic recon-style druidry, among other things. Lots of really good research here. She's both a Gaelic Pagan and a Heathen, so she talks about both on the blog.

Tairis - blog by Seren, the current leader of Gaol Naofa. She draws on both Irish and Scottish sources. A personal blog, but with a good mix of research and practice.

Tairis Tales - another blog by Seren, this one for excerpts of Gaelic mythology and folklore. She's tracked down some amazing stuff here.

Three Shouts on a Hilltop - really well-researched Gaelic polytheism blog.

Paganarch - Rhyd Wildermuth's Welsh polytheist mystical-type blog. Very interesting.

The Guiding Light - blog of a Gaelic polytheist in Ireland. Helpfully practice-focused.

Amhran nam Bandia - the blog of a Gaelic reconstructionist, one of the founders of Gaol Naofa. A mix of campaigning and scholarly-focused writing. Links to rituals and resouces.

Kathryn (of Amhran nam Bandia) is one of the founders of CR but she's not a founder of Gaol Naofa. She's an integral part of GN today, though.

There's a very active and growing Gaelic Polytheist community on Tumblr right now, and there are also a few Gaulish and Brythonic Polytheists, too, along with some less reconstructionist-oriented blogs. I think Tumblr is the most active place for blogging and discussion right now and it's pretty easy to find people if you lurk in the tags.

Some other blogs that are well worth a read, and the posters are active on tumblr too:

Echtrai - a good mixture of practice, deep thoughts, and pointers to decent reads and research.

Daughter of the Storm - Allec takes a more philosophical approach, mixed in with other stuff, and her previous blog (now archived) is well worth a read too.

Tír Tairnge - there's a hugely active CR community in Brazil and Leonni has done some amazing work in providing resources for them in Portuguese. There are lots of other sites worth checking out via his links, too. Google Translate is pretty decent and occasionally provides amusing attempts at English.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:06:39 am by Seren »

Sophia C

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:53 am »
Quote from: Seren;149596
Kathryn (of Amhran nam Bandia) is one of the founders of CR but she's not a founder of Gaol Naofa. She's an integral part of GN today, though.

Oh, many apologies - I mis-remembered.
- Doctor Who

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:14:06 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;149599
Oh, many apologies - I mis-remembered.

Oh,no worries. I think at this point she prefers to get the blame for things she did do than things she didn't, is all ;)

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 01:02:38 pm »
2) What if the blog isn't just Celtic? That's totally fine! Just let us know what else to expect in your description. Thanks!)

I strongly recommend Story Archaeology if you want to get a grip on Irish mythology.

Each podcast that starts with a modern retelling - then looks at the original text, discusses the etymology of names and the history of the mythological tradition, and feels well-researched. Each episode is focused on one character.

The Irish mythological texts are kinda messy and scattered, esp when you try and understand how they slot into the Welsh stuff as well, and I feel very confident with the material now, in a way I have never been able to before. I don't listen to a lot of podcasts, but I am working through this one as if it was a study course - it's that good.

(I have recently learned that from them Ireland was never, strictly, Celtic! Nevertheless, they have episodes on the Morrigan, the Dagda, Mannanan Mac Lir, Llew, and so forth. Is that within the scope of this SIG?)
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 02:20:45 pm »
I have recently learned that from them Ireland was never, strictly, Celtic! Nevertheless, they have episodes on the Morrigan, the Dagda, Mannanan Mac Lir, Llew, and so forth. Is that within the scope of this SIG?

Absolutely within the scope of the SIG!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'never strictly Celtic', though. Can you elaborate?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Haptalaon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Fencraft: Seekers of the Landweird
  • Religion: Fencraft (Pagan animism/trad witchcraft/cunning craft/folklore)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 02:39:12 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by 'never strictly Celtic', though. Can you elaborate?

So as not to derail, I'll create a new thread  :)
Pagan life blog: Haptalaon @ Dreamwidth
Fencraft Handbook: Seekers of the Landweird: for land-trance, pagan animism, folklore and traditional witchcraft

Tags: