Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: If you could give your past self advice  (Read 2571 times)

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
If you could give your past self advice
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »
As I've been dipping my toes in witchcraft more, I've also been thinking about the start I got in it when I was 14 that led me to quit for a long time.
If I could give my younger self any advice now, it would be to stay way, way, WAY far away from summoning and to not rely entirely on my friend as a learning resource (as he was also learning).

If you could go back to speak to yourself when you began practicing, what advice would you give?

Wandering Wind

• View Profile
Re: If you could give your past self advice...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;149300
As I've been dipping my toes in witchcraft more, I've also been thinking about the start I got in it when I was 14 that led me to quit for a long time.
If I could give my younger self any advice now, it would be to stay way, way, WAY far away from summoning and to not rely entirely on my friend as a learning resource (as he was also learning).

If you could go back to speak to yourself when you began practicing, what advice would you give?

Lay a sturdy foundation before proceeding to the harder things.  This may be advice I still need, so I'm taking things slowly, however I have many questions, and finding the correct answers is proving challenging overall.

Learning from one that has an actual and effective understanding of the ways of whatever path of magick and faith one chooses is a great aid, I just wish there were some custom for second opinions.  I tried to start under someone so set in their ways that my first real mistake was not only not forgiven, it was, I won't teach you anymore.

Definitely an area I need to think on further...

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:25:43 pm »

I did a post on my blog for my 12th anniversary of dedicating last year, where I laid out some of the advice. (The whole post gives a bit more context, but I'm quoting the advice bit here.)

What I wish I’d been told (but couldn’t have heard if you had)

1) That thing about change? She does change everything She touches. So does He. So do They, over there. (Yes, all of Them that dance across the threads of your life.) So do your friends. And random students at work, and books you read once and thought you’d forgotten, and momentary conversations with a stranger.

Learn to figure out where the changes are pointing you. There’s less wear and tear that way.

(You don’t have to like the change. You don’t have to agree. But fight the right thing, if you’re going to fight.)

2) You will have glorious passionate overwhelming moments with people. You will have times when you can’t bear to be in the same room with them. In good weeks, these will not happen in the same 24 hours.

People are people. Give them the same grace you wish they’d give you.

(You don’t have to like them all the time. You don’t have to agree. But if you want to do stuff with them later, some things are easier than others to recover from.)

3) You will learn stuff from the *weirdest* places. That’s okay. Just roll with it.

There’s voices of magic in everything. There’s the touch of the divine in everything.

(Don’t worry. If you aren’t listening the first dozen times, something will probably whap you over the head or trip you up. The important stuff’s stubborn like that.)

4) You will change. What you need will change. What you’re up for will change.

If you’re not changing, you’re not growing.

(And if you’re not annoyed by other people changing, they’re not growing either. There are days you might have to tell yourself this a lot. It’s okay.)

5) You will have your heart broken.

Hearts heal. I promise.

(Even if you keep being nostalgic. Nostalgia’s fine as long as you don’t move there permanently.)

6) It’s okay that your practice changes. Keep your vows (but make them carefully). But the outward show, the rituals, the structure? There are times that it’s good, and there will be times it isn’t what you need.

Live like you’re connected to the world. Look up at the stars. Listen to the beat of the music and the touch of your Gods. Everything else will sort itself out.

(You are. They hold mysteries that will last your lifetime. So does the music and so do the Gods. And trust me, it’ll work out. Just keep going forward.)

Listen to that voice, the thread of melody and harmony that makes a resonant life.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:27:18 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:02:47 am »

I've said before if I could go back in time I'd waste the chance by telling my younger self to do her eyebrows. So this is a better use of the hypothetical time machine. So, what I would tell myself:

1) You do not know everything. You are, in fact, a bit of an arrogant little snot. Knock that off. Be humble in your learning, and stop bluffing in an attempt not to look stupid. You ARE stupid. You're young, it's like a law that your brain won't fully develop until you're 25, so relax. (You won't listen to this anyway because you're convinced you're different. I know.)

2) Meditate. Yeah, yeah, you don't need to, you visualise SOOO well, you're totally focused. Shut up, young!me. It is the basis for a solid magical practice. So do it. Stop being a lazy slag.

3) Things change. Sometimes a lot. Go with it.

4) If it sounds overdramatic and kinda like bullshit? Then it's 100% going to be overdramatic bullshit. Don't bother with it. Walk away. Don't try to argue or make everything work out, just go.

5) When you think you've mastered all the basics... keep practising them anyway.

6) Be cautious, but not fearful. "Fear is poison to your magical practice and poison to your life."

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:46:11 am »

Amaterasu is not interested in you, and Uzume is just being polite. Don't bother with the Virgin, either. She's just not that into you. But Benten? Benten is a good idea. Here's a hint: her "real" name is Sarasvati. Heads up!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 09:14:43 am »

Read less and do more

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:04:21 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149341

1) You do not know everything. You are, in fact, a bit of an arrogant little snot. Knock that off. Be humble in your learning, and stop bluffing in an attempt not to look stupid. You ARE stupid. You're young, it's like a law that your brain won't fully develop until you're 25, so relax. (You won't listen to this anyway because you're convinced you're different. I know.)

Yep, this right here.

Also, I'd tell myself to stay as far away from a certain local group as I could get.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 05:15:30 pm »

"That gender essentialism binge you're picking up from pop-Wicca books is doing you no favours."
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;149371
"That gender essentialism binge you're picking up from pop-Wicca books is doing you no favours."

It will only take about 20 years, but you'll eventually think that being this weird is pretty cool.

Do what makes you happy, not what makes other people happy. Seriously.

Go hiking, while you can.

(All of this aimed at my younger self in general, but with implications for *when* I would have started practicing, I think...)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Leirion

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://lilylionlabyrinth.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:25:29 pm »

I'm not sure I would give my past self advice. Everything has led to where I am now, and I generally like where I am now. Plus, knowing me, I wouldn't have listened AT ALL anyway.

That being said, if I had to choose something, it'd be this: Be yourself.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 04:06:34 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;149372
It will only take about 20 years, but you'll eventually think that being this weird is pretty cool.

Do what makes you happy, not what makes other people happy. Seriously.

Go hiking, while you can.

(All of this aimed at my younger self in general, but with implications for *when* I would have started practicing, I think...)

Tying into this; I'm still relatively new to pagan practice and the advice to my younger self isn't religiously related.  That said, I'm looking back and seeing several places that could have been springboards to explore and start earlier than I did, and...I would encourage past!me to actually take advantage of some of those opportunities, instead of (rather presumptuously) assuming that it was either Protestant Christian or nothing.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »

The stuff that works for you works. Anybody who wants you to give that up so you're more respectable is just going to fuck you over in the end anyway.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 11:06:04 am »
Quote from: Jack;149775
The stuff that works for you works. Anybody who wants you to give that up so you're more respectable is just going to fuck you over in the end anyway.

This.

Also - do not try to pair Sekhmet up with a god and smush her into a Wiccanoid context.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: