Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: What's Your "Mutant Power"?  (Read 10499 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's Your "Mutant Power"?
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 08:00:51 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;148763
I have no wisdom teeth. I'm in my thirties, and there is absolutely no sign of them at all. My dentist says I'm a mutant, but I'm pretty sure with powers that shit .

You are not alone! I suggest we start a club.

(I also had some baby teeth form with no adult teeth behind them. Apparently this is genetic but neither of my parents had this issue.)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:51 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;149335
You are not alone! I suggest we start a club.

I'm kinda tickled that there are several of us. And it might not seem like much of a superpower, but once I saw what my siblings endured with their wisdom teeth, I decided that being able to avoid that, while perhaps not especially powerful, was pretty super.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

catloverkid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:37 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;149340

I'm kinda tickled that there are several of us. And it might not seem like much of a superpower, but once I saw what my siblings endured with their wisdom teeth, I decided that being able to avoid that, while perhaps not especially powerful, was pretty super.

Sunflower

My best friend and my dad have had HUGE problems with wisdom teeth, so I'm pretty glad that I don't either, heh.

"Do the gods speak?"
"Do they ever stop?"

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »
Quote from: catloverkid;149388
My best friend and my dad have had HUGE problems with wisdom teeth, so I'm pretty glad that I don't either, heh.

OMG yeah, my sister had hers taken out and the poor thing was just miserable.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;149397
OMG yeah, my sister had hers taken out and the poor thing was just miserable.

Ditto my sister. (On the day the Flames won the Cup! I took her out to drive around and honk and stuff, which cheered her up some.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 03:18:54 pm »
Quote from: catloverkid;149388

My wife qualifies for membership. (I, on the other hand, had to have them all pulled, on top of numerous other dental complications.)

It's diminishing now with repeated exposure to screens, but I have Super Hawk Vision.  Testing in middle school put me at 20/10, and even now after a decade of staring at screens all day (engineer, and video game enthusiast) I'm still at 20/25 in one eye, and 20/20 in the other.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 10:54:14 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;149761

It's diminishing now with repeated exposure to screens, but I have Super Hawk Vision.  Testing in middle school put me at 20/10, and even now after a decade of staring at screens all day (engineer, and video game enthusiast) I'm still at 20/25 in one eye, and 20/20 in the other.

Eagle-eye! (Because "Hawkeye" is taken)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 10:59:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;148718

So...what's your "mutant" power?

Well, talk about your ironies: I went to my doctor for an exam just today and found out that I'm actually, truly a mutant! I have a genetic mutation that causes my red-blood cells to be really small; it's called alpha thalassemia, and the version I have has no clinical effects, happily. But hey--I'm a mutant! X-Men, make room at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters for...

...Alpha!

(I think my chief power is that I'm vampire-resistant)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »
I'm a hard science guy, so color me skeptical. But in honor of the new X-MEN movie, I figured I'd ask folks what, if any, truly weird sh*t they can do.

Here's mine:

--Some 30 years ago, a friend's sister was about to have her first child. "It's going to be a boy, and they're going to name him Jonathan," I told my friend--having never met the sister and knowing nothing about her. And that's what happened. (My friend swears she kept true to my request to not tell her sister and just see what happens.)

--Some 3 years ago, I was at a party where I knew nobody. This woman chatted me up, beaming because she'd just found out she was about to become a grandmother for the first time; her daughter, in London, thought it was going to be a girl, but Grandma-To-Be was betting on a boy. "It's going to be a girl," I said, "and they're going to name her Anabelle." GTB blinked; "the name they want, if it's a girl, is Arabelle." (I have no idea how that one turned out.)

There was no special feeling involved in either instance; it just happened. (In the first instance, I was sober, and in the second, definitely NOT sober.)

So it seems I have this sporadic useless talent for the naming of babies yet to be born. Call me NeoNate!

Well my eyes take in to much light in, so I have a the ability to see in the dark better than most people. So night vision would be my power!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 06:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Altair;149792

(I think my chief power is that I'm vampire-resistant)

I am now picturing you as the main character of a vampire-hunting Assassin's Creed spin-off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2014, 10:11:10 pm »

Mine is pretty similar to yours, actually.  A lot of precognition and "knowing" stuff that seemingly comes from nowhere.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:17 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;148844
Does dyscalculia count as a power? Because I could thwart a supervillain just by giving them the wrong address of the hero's secret lair, or I could tell them to go left when I really mean right. And if they wanted me to guide them somewhere, I would get us hopelessly lost and maybe even make them give up.

But also synesthesia--I think the kind I have is called tone-color? So I can do a painting of a song, basically. I could probably make money off of it. (although I don't think I'd be able to budget it properly because of the dyscalculia :whis: )

And I can fit my leg behind my head and get around that way.

Another synesthate! I have tone-color too as well as the reverse so pretty much everything makes noise and has auras/static/flashing lights. I also have about twenty other forms including personification, emotion, and physical. Mostly everything involves color vibration.

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »

Apparently I have the ability to "sneak up" on people even if that's not my intention. I can also guess peoples' ages. Not the exact number but I'll say, "Hmm...you are in your early to mid thirties."

I also seem to have this power over young babies and toddlers. They sometimes give me this look like, "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Hipporadish

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
I'm a hard science guy, so color me skeptical. But in honor of the new X-MEN movie, I figured I'd ask folks what, if any, truly weird sh*t they can do.

Here's mine:

--Some 30 years ago, a friend's sister was about to have her first child. "It's going to be a boy, and they're going to name him Jonathan," I told my friend--having never met the sister and knowing nothing about her. And that's what happened. (My friend swears she kept true to my request to not tell her sister and just see what happens.)

--Some 3 years ago, I was at a party where I knew nobody. This woman chatted me up, beaming because she'd just found out she was about to become a grandmother for the first time; her daughter, in London, thought it was going to be a girl, but Grandma-To-Be was betting on a boy. "It's going to be a girl," I said, "and they're going to name her Anabelle." GTB blinked; "the name they want, if it's a girl, is Arabelle." (I have no idea how that one turned out.)

There was no special feeling involved in either instance; it just happened. (In the first instance, I was sober, and in the second, definitely NOT sober.)

So it seems I have this sporadic useless talent for the naming of babies yet to be born. Call me NeoNate!

I have psoriasis so as the below says from wiki

"Psoriasis is characterized by an abnormally excessive and rapid growth of the epidermal layer of the skin.[43] Abnormal production of skin cells (especially during wound repair) and an overabundance of skin cells result from the sequence of pathological events in psoriasis.[17] Skin cells are replaced every 3–5 days in psoriasis rather than the usual 28–30 days.[44]"

Yay for abnormal skin production lol.

On a lighter note it can build connections with most animals on a number of occasions people have said the cat rabbit etc didn't like people and could be vicious but I get on well with them and they are friendly to me.

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;153639
Apparently I have the ability to "sneak up" on people even if that's not my intention. I can also guess peoples' ages. Not the exact number but I'll say, "Hmm...you are in your early to mid thirties."

I also seem to have this power over young babies and toddlers. They sometimes give me this look like, "Don't I know you from somewhere?"

Not so much a superpower as a valuable skill in my job, but I can size people for clothes, especially suits, without measuring. I mean, in Torchwood where Ianto talks about his father being able to get a man's inseam measurement from his stride across the shop floor, I'm like, he made the guy walk?
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Tags: