Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Atlantic Religion  (Read 10269 times)

Atlantean Perspective

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
The Atlantic Religion
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »
Hi folks, here is a link to my website. It deals with the pagan meta-religion of pre-Roman, pre-Christian N/NW Europe:

www.atlanticreligion.com

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: The Atlantic Religion
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:02 am »
Quote from: Atlantean Perspective;148132
Hi folks, here is a link to my website. It deals with the pagan meta-religion of pre-Roman, pre-Christian N/NW Europe:

www.atlanticreligion.com

Am I the only one here who is remarkably suspicious that in the last couple of days we've had a spate of zero-post brand new people who are going 'hay here's a website" out of nowhere? No introductions, no real context, just..."hay here's a website".
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:46:19 am »
Quote from: Allaya;148150
Am I the only one here who is remarkably suspicious that in the last couple of days we've had a spate of zero-post brand new people who are going 'hay here's a website" out of nowhere? No introductions, no real context, just..."hay here's a website".

What are you suspicious of? Like... a conspiracy? XD
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 04:31:08 am »
Quote from: Allaya;148150

I was thinking exactly the same thing so I haven't clicked any links posted.

#virus. O.o

Could an administrator look into it at all by any chance?

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 05:31:47 am »
Quote from: Jack;148154
What are you suspicious of? Like... a conspiracy? XD

I realize you're being funny, but it's not uncommon for multiple feelers to be put out for the purpose of ad clicks, malware, general spam, page impressions, or similar.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:19:06 am »
Quote from: Allaya;148167
I realize you're being funny, but it's not uncommon for multiple feelers to be put out for the purpose of ad clicks, malware, general spam, page impressions, or similar.

I clicked on it, it's a blog with several very detailed posts on Celtic folklore. The first one compares the Breton Ankou to an equivalent Irish figure. It's real.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:26:12 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;148169
I clicked on it, it's a blog with several very detailed posts on Celtic folklore. The first one compares the Breton Ankou to an equivalent Irish figure. It's real.

It's on wordpress.com, does not detect as being infected with malware and seems interesting.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:27:25 am »
Quote from: RandallS;148172
It's on wordpress.com, does not detect as being infected with malware and seems interesting.

I've moved the thread to the Member Announcement area.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:17:52 pm »
Quote from: Atlantean Perspective;148132
It deals with the pagan meta-religion of pre-Roman, pre-Christian N/NW Europe:

sighhh Pre-Roman? Still "reeling from the confusion of Greco-Roman globalist religion"? I'm starting to wonder what is it with neo-pagans and Italian pagan religions. Specializing in "Atlantic" religions of the Roman Empire, I can tell you, the tribes new exactly what they were doing, and it was intimately connected with the land.

But each his own in the free market of religion.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 06:03:38 am »
Quote from: Materialist;148319
sighhh Pre-Roman? Still "reeling from the confusion of Greco-Roman globalist religion"? I'm starting to wonder what is it with neo-pagans and Italian pagan religions. Specializing in "Atlantic" religions of the Roman Empire, I can tell you, the tribes new exactly what they were doing, and it was intimately connected with the land.

But each his own in the free market of religion.

....I really don't understand your point here? What is wrong with talking about Pre-Roman religions?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;148330
....I really don't understand your point here? What is wrong with talking about Pre-Roman religions?

Since I started studying neo-paganism, whenever the "Roman religion"  was mentioned, it was always in negative terms. I have almost heard it all: it destroyed Celtic religion and  culture, isn't even Indo-European, practicing a Romano-Celtic syncretism can lead to a loss of celticness, and now we are informed that it was confused and disconnected from the "bloodline" and the land.

I swear, it's almost as bad as anti-Semitism, except it would have to be called anti-Italicism. If someone tells me Italian paganism was evil I shan't be surprised.

I don't care what era of paganism a person chooses to reconstruct, but when the decision is couched in anti-Italian phrases about finding a pure Celticness unpolluted by those alien Greco-Romans, I have issues.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 04:00:27 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;148360
I don't care what era of paganism a person chooses to reconstruct, but when the decision is couched in anti-Italian phrases about finding a pure Celticness unpolluted by those alien Greco-Romans, I have issues.

I think you're reading an awful lot into what the OP said. "Pre-Roman Celtic" can simply mean "I am interested in Celtic stuff but not so much in Roman stuff."

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 05:46:11 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;148361
I think you're reading an awful lot into what the OP said. "Pre-Roman Celtic" can simply mean "I am interested in Celtic stuff but not so much in Roman stuff."

When I responded to Atlantean Perspective, I quoted from his third blog post "A Religion flowing in the blood and the landscape" (5/19/14), which makes derogatory remarks about Greco-Roman and Middle Eastern religions because they tried to destroy the "natural laws of the land," whatever that means.

It comes across as prejudiced.

Atlantean Perspective

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 02:09:52 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;148410
When I responded to Atlantean Perspective, I quoted from his third blog post "A Religion flowing in the blood and the landscape" (5/19/14), which makes derogatory remarks about Greco-Roman and Middle Eastern religions because they tried to destroy the "natural laws of the land," whatever that means.

It comes across as prejudiced.

Hi there - thanks for the criticism, which I will take on board. However, you need to look at the context: The blog is about a historic religious system which received a hard time from various incarnations of oppressive imperial power. If criticism of this was unfair, then I guess it would be prejudiced, but this is history and religion we are dealing with, not current affairs. If it ever becomes 'prejudiced' to criticise empires or religions then humanity is in real trouble*!
By 'natural laws of the land', I am referring to a legal concept known as 'natural law' which is an empirical (indigenous) idea of justice based on achieving a natural balance, as opposed to codified 'positive law'. You cannot control a massive empire without written positive laws, but the 'justice' this system serves up will not always be appropriate to the people and place it is set over. The most specific needs of people depend intimately upon their environment. That is the crux of the argument.

I hope you can enjoy the blog - there's lots of interesting stuff buried in there.  

* - on second thoughts, humanity IS in real trouble, and for just that reason.

Atlantean Perspective

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:15:13 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;148360
Since I started studying neo-paganism, whenever the "Roman religion"  was mentioned, it was always in negative terms. I have almost heard it all: it destroyed Celtic religion and  culture, isn't even Indo-European, practicing a Romano-Celtic syncretism can lead to a loss of celticness, and now we are informed that it was confused and disconnected from the "bloodline" and the land.

I swear, it's almost as bad as anti-Semitism, except it would have to be called anti-Italicism. If someone tells me Italian paganism was evil I shan't be surprised.

If I insult a 1stC BCE Briton, am I insulting British people of the 21stC?  

If I chose to comment (using accusations levelled by ancient Roman and Greek authors)  that ancient 'Celts' were a bunch of blood-thirsty head-hunting, man-loving, religiously perverse, tattooed, greedy, over-proud bastards, would I be considered to be insulting modern Irish people?

If I singled people out as being 'prejudiced' on an internet forum, would I be considered 'open minded' and 'a civil and human rights activist', or might I possibly just be considered another human being resorting to tribalist, political tokenism that stamps someone with a label designed to deny their humanity, and expose them to ridicule from an 'in-group'?

If you use phrases like 'I mean, it's almost as bad as anti-semitism' over a historical discussion of the wrongs of the ancient Roman or Greek Empires, then you are a poor historian and being unfair... I have Jewish family and some of these were murdered in the Shoah, so I find your comments quite insulting!

Tags: