Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Hey mom and dad, I'm Pagan!  (Read 6117 times)

CailinRua

• View Profile
Re: Hey mom and dad, I'm Pagan!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 08:33:24 pm »
Quote from: Mikie;149223
This is super helpful actually!

Very nice! I'm glad it worked :), should get even easier with time

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:15 pm »
Quote from: Mikie;148033
So I have run into a small problem and I really don't know what to do about it. My Father and his side of the family are all christian, My Mother and her side are almost all Christian. My Grandmother however is Pagan. She has been such an inspiring and helpful part of my life. My mother asked me when I plan on getting "serious" about my spiritual life? I really didn't know what she was talking about at first. She went on to explain that I was raised in a a Christian home and that I need to get back to my Christian roots if I am to "save us all a lot of heart ache". I spoke with my Grandmother about this and she has been somewhat reluctant to get involved as she really would rather stay out of the families drama over beliefs, which I completely understand. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has had to deal with this, and if so... How did you do it?

I've been lucky as my mother has no idea that I'm Pagan, unlike my sister. She knows that my sister is pagan and is against it. However, my sister pretty much keeps her spiritual practices to herself and doesn't let anyone know, other than those on the net. Since I'm a Kitchen Witch/Hedgewitch and practice Wicca from time to time, I've managed to keep my practice on the down low. Of course she knows not to bother me with any of her beliefs as I've told her that I'm an adult and I have my own life.

Sorry that your going through this. Hope what I'm saying helps.

8BitLady

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:01 am »
So I have run into a small problem [...] I guess I'm just curious if anyone has had to deal with this, and if so... How did you do it?

I've had similar experiences. I was raised Christian because of my grandmother (very stubborn french lady...)
After a certain point my mom said "You don't have to do this anymore if you don't want to". I got into Wicca/Paganism, reading books by Osho, and started to feel more like coming 'home'.
I remember when starting out (in my teens) my grandmother was all like "You're going to go to hell, you're going to get possessed by demons" opinion... Which then resulted in kind of getting off the pagan-path for a while. (I don't like conflict...)

Paganism is what's true for me. Although Christianity can be a great support system and help out their community, it isn't my cup of tea...

Now that I'm an adult, no one else should have to 'care' about my religion. I do my own thing, they can do their own thing...

Whatever anyone else says is just their opinion. If your grandmother does it, and your family doesn't have problems with her, then they most certainly wont have problems with you... let them warm up to the fact that "Hey, this is great and all, but it isn't for me... Sorry".
Actually you could just say that sentence to them...

Mikie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 02:12:43 pm »
Quote from: 8BitLady;150907

Actually you could just say that sentence to them...

Update! Over the last month or so things have gotten MUCH better. I think my family is really starting to understand. They may not fully understand how I believe and I really don't think they want to lol But that is ok, they are at least trying.:)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »
Quote from: Mikie;155839
Update! Over the last month or so things have gotten MUCH better. I think my family is really starting to understand. They may not fully understand how I believe and I really don't think they want to lol But that is ok, they are at least trying.:)

Yay! I'm glad this is going positively for you.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 10:24:42 pm »
So I have run into a small problem and I really don't know what to do about it. My Father and his side of the family are all christian, My Mother and her side are almost all Christian. My Grandmother however is Pagan. She has been such an inspiring and helpful part of my life. My mother asked me when I plan on getting "serious" about my spiritual life? I really didn't know what she was talking about at first. She went on to explain that I was raised in a a Christian home and that I need to get back to my Christian roots if I am to "save us all a lot of heart ache". I spoke with my Grandmother about this and she has been somewhat reluctant to get involved as she really would rather stay out of the families drama over beliefs, which I completely understand. I guess I'm just curious if anyone has had to deal with this, and if so... How did you do it?

This may not be particularly helpful, but I had a rather odd if not perhaps applicable situation with my mother.  My mother never really had any problem with me studying other religions and in fact had no problem with me practicing magic even when I was living with her.  What she did have a problem with was with me identifying myself as any other than Catholic.  Her belief was that I was baptized, so I was Catholic for the rest of my life whether I liked it or not.  So, I didn't openly identify myself as a Pagan until after she passed away.  If asked directly I would say I was raised Catholic, which was true.  I still don't generally talk about my religious beliefs with anyone except close friends.  Not because I'm ashamed of my beliefs or practices but, rather because they are simply no one else's business and quite frankly it's generally not worth the discussion that follows.

In any case, I don't know if my story helps at all.  If your parents are more interested in what you call yourself than what you actually do then it may not be really worth the fight.  If they want to attend church with them then that's another story.  I'm not advocating outright lying, but a little creative evasion can work wonders sometimes.

Astrid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 02:34:21 am »

This may sound really silly, but I actually found that Doreen Virtue was a huge stepping stone between my family and I. She's obviously Christian, but does kind of hint at some more pagan ideas.

Yes, she's very new-agey, but I found that she provided acceptable middle-ground language for me to converse more positively with my parents about my spirituality. She opened the door to what we had in common.

For example, when my parents first found out that I practice magic, I used the 'set your intent', 'divine supply' stuff of Doreen Virtue that my parents could appreciate. I kind of said that magic used a similar idea, but that I used items and meditation to help me really set that intent and get things going.

It's obviously a big over-simplification, but it worked in a way that satisfied them without me having to lie. Now they are not only 'okay' with my beliefs, but they actually find it quite fascinating! Who'd have thought?!

"We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out"  - Delenn, Babylon 5

Tags: