Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: Help!  (Read 2661 times)

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Help!
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:46:21 am »
I've got some pictures I'm attaching, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on with my trees. The pomegranate I just planted has weird green lumps all over the buds and the leaves are twisting all weird. Something similar is going on with the mesquites. :(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:37:45 am by RandallS »

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:17:57 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;147752
I've got some pictures I'm attaching, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what's going on with my trees. The pomegranate I just planted has weird green lumps all over the buds and the leaves are twisting all weird. Something similar is going on with the mesquites. :(

Those look like aphids to me- they can do a lot of damage to plants. I'd buy some ladybugs, and in the meantime, hose down the plants with a strong stream of water daily.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:20:44 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;147752

Those are aphids and the ants in the picture are farming them for honeydew.

You can stir 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap (NOT dishwasher soap) into a gallon of water and spray on the plants to get rid of the aphids. After a few hours you can spray clean water on the plants to rinse the soap off. Don't worry about the soap getting onto the ground, it's harmless. You might need to do this every few days until the ants and/or aphids give up.

I'd say do it in the evening so the sun doesn't burn the plants where they're wet.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 01:06:39 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;147755
Those are aphids and the ants in the picture are farming them for honeydew.

You can stir 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap (NOT dishwasher soap) into a gallon of water and spray on the plants to get rid of the aphids. After a few hours you can spray clean water on the plants to rinse the soap off. Don't worry about the soap getting onto the ground, it's harmless. You might need to do this every few days until the ants and/or aphids give up.

I'd say do it in the evening so the sun doesn't burn the plants where they're wet.

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely do that this evening!

Tags: