"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: abandoned kitten  (Read 7851 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: abandoned kitten
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 06:28:40 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;148292
I know, right?! However, don't be deceived by those big kitten eyes. She's a fierce, dangerous predator! No hands or feet are safe from her nibbles, and she's decided that remote controls are a menace that must be destroyed!

Seriously, I wish my phone took video. She's started doing that sideways hop thing... it's hilarious!

Nooooo....not the side hop!!! *dies of teh kyoot*

How is she doing?
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:58 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;148314
Nooooo....not the side hop!!! *dies of teh kyoot*

How is she doing?

Much better. She finished her last round of antibiotics on Wednesday. That seems to have done the trick. She's gaining weight, she's at 17 1/4 oz. now. And last night, she slept the whole night through. She's mastered the liter box, no accidents at all! Weaning, well that's another story. I think it's going to be a slow process. But that's okay, she does a little better every day.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 07:55:16 am »
Quote from: Catherine;148336
Much better. She finished her last round of antibiotics on Wednesday. That seems to have done the trick. She's gaining weight, she's at 17 1/4 oz. now. And last night, she slept the whole night through. She's mastered the liter box, no accidents at all! Weaning, well that's another story. I think it's going to be a slow process. But that's okay, she does a little better every day.

Update.

Willow is healthy, and thriving. She and Lilah are getting along great, not fighting at all. Overall, she's a pretty well behaved cat. She doesn't climb the curtains, or scratch the furniture, never gone anywhere but the litter box, and she's very affectionate.

There's just one problem and it's a really big one. She attacks me, viciously, on a regular basis. She's just playing, I know, but I have to find a way to make her stop.

I can be completely asleep at 4am, and suddenly she's, literally, on my face. Or just sitting, watching tv and she'll attach herself to my arm. I'm covered in scratches, bites and bruises. I had a really bad scratch on my face that took almost a week to heal. It's a bad situation.

It started before I let her and Lilah be together. When it started, I was diligent about not letting her hand play. I'd substitute a stuffed toy or distract her with something else. So it's not something she's ever been allowed to do. I'd hoped it would stop when she had more space and another cat to play with. It hasn't.

I've tried loud noise, the spray bottle, feliway sprayed on the furniture, holding her immobile to calm her down, nothing works. If anything, it just riles her up even more. Even holding the scruff her neck doesn't work. That freeze response cats are supposed to have when you do that? She doesn't have it.

Plus, she's not nearly this aggressive with anyone else. Just me.

Also, I've talked with my nephew's girlfriend. She has one of Willow's brothers and she said they're going through the exact same thing with him! Even down to his aggression being worse with her mom, the one who raised him.

I don't know what to do. I really love this little wild beastie, but I'm also very frustrated with situation. And I'm worried that if I don't get this under control, she's going to become a dangerous cat when she's fully grown.

Anyone have any advice, or suggestions?

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 08:00:26 am »
Quote from: Catherine;146757
I keep telling myself that if I could raise a featherless baby bird to adulthood, I can raise a kitten.

I can do this. Right?

Yes, you can. At least you will know exactly what to feed it.

I'm all squeeing here, and I haven't even seen the thing, because KITTEN! <3
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:27 am »
Quote from: Catherine;154070

I don't know what to do. I really love this little wild beastie, but I'm also very frustrated with situation. And I'm worried that if I don't get this under control, she's going to become a dangerous cat when she's fully grown.

Anyone have any advice, or suggestions?

First, hooray for thriving kitten!

Second, I've been where you are (our Moe was like that when we got him) and it was so incredibly frustrating!  We broke him of it by doing a couple of things:

- Set up a schedule of play, eat, groom, sleep.  Cats, even kittens, will fall into this cycle without prompting - they're (mostly) wired to do so.  We started timing play, then food, then quiet time several times a day, and it worked a treat.  We actually got him sleeping through the night in our bed without him jumping us after two weeks.

(Of course, we weren't able to break the cat parade when he comes to bed now...)

- Play until she is panting.  Sometimes kittens (and cats) ambush their people because they have too much pent up energy.  We ensured that the pre-meal play sessions lasted at least 20 minutes and did not end until Moe was panting.  We had him up and down and racing around the house and he'd just lie down and pant when he had enough.

I hope it helps, Catherine.  Also, if you have any new pics...*hint hint*

Good Luck!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:04 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;154159

- Set up a schedule of play, eat, groom, sleep.  Cats, even kittens, will fall into this cycle without prompting - they're (mostly) wired to do so.

I'll give it a go. Though, she's been less interested in playing with us, now that she's got Lilah to run around with.

I hope it helps, Catherine.  Also, if you have any new pics...*hint hint*

Sure do! Sometimes, she's so cute I can't stand it!

[/URL][/IMG]

This one is my favorite. They really love each other.

[/URL][/IMG]

Tags: