Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: abandoned kitten  (Read 7848 times)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
abandoned kitten
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:41:04 pm »
So, in about an hour, my sister is bringing me an abandoned kitten. Here's the deal.

My nephew has a friend who's grandmother had an outdoor barn cat. Momma cat has disappeared leaving a two week old litter of kittens. Sadly, the grandmother thinks she's dead.

I don't have all of the info yet. Like, how long have they been away from their mother, if they're nursing well, do they have flees, etc. All I know so far, is that they're about 2-2 1/2 weeks old, their eyes are open, and I'm taking one.

We've talked to a vet who said that if it looks healthy, and will nurse then it doesn't need to be brought in right away, but if it looks sick, then we're taking it in to be seen.

I've been reading online for a few hours now. I think I've got enough info to get me started. But I've never raised a baby kitten before. So, since there are so many experienced cat people around here, I thought I'd start this thread for any questions I might have and to see if anyone has any tips or advice to give me.

I'm excited, but kind of scared and nervous, too. I keep telling myself that if I could raise a featherless baby bird to adulthood, I can raise a kitten.

I can do this. Right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:20:26 am by RandallS »

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: abandoned kitten
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:52:27 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;146757
So, in about an hour, my sister is bringing me an abandoned kitten. Here's the deal.

My nephew has a friend who's grandmother had an outdoor barn cat. Momma cat has disappeared leaving a two week old litter of kittens. Sadly, the grandmother thinks she's dead.

I don't have all of the info yet. Like, how long have they been away from their mother, if they're nursing well, do they have flees, etc. All I know so far, is that they're about 2-2 1/2 weeks old, their eyes are open, and I'm taking one.

We've talked to a vet who said that if it looks healthy, and will nurse then it doesn't need to be brought in right away, but if it looks sick, then we're taking it in to be seen.

I've been reading online for a few hours now. I think I've got enough info to get me started. But I've never raised a baby kitten before. So, since there are so many experienced cat people around here, I thought I'd start this thread for any questions I might have and to see if anyone has any tips or advice to give me.

I'm excited, but kind of scared and nervous, too. I keep telling myself that if I could raise a featherless baby bird to adulthood, I can raise a kitten.

I can do this. Right?

You can do it. 2-2 1/2 weeks is actually a lot easier than newborn. They're not big enough for flea shampoo yet, so if there are fleas, get a flea comb and some dish soap. Let the soap sit for a bit on kitty's skin, so that it chokes out the fleas. Rinse, comb, and repeat if necessary.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:58 pm »
I can do this. Right?

Definitely. And you'll be so glad you did.  Kittens raised by hand are usually super affectionate.

My family has raised 2 litters of newborns.  It's a commitment, but it's worth it.  Like Stephy said, you're actually past the hardest part.

One thing to keep in mind: Kittens don't know how to pee and poop on their own.  When they're babies, mama stimulates them by licking. So, when you're taking mama's place, you have to stimulate those functions.  You don't have to use your tongue, though.   ;-)  A warm washcloth works well.  I don't remember how old they are when they can do it on their own, but that's something important to check into, to make sure you're doing that if it's still necessary.

About fleas: We've been through that, too. I found that some flea combs are better than others. My favorite kind is available from Amazon.  I haven't been impressed with any we got at pet stores. If you need a recommendation, let me know and I'll send you a link.

Good luck!  And post a pic when you can.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:38 am »
Quote from: stephyjh;146758
You can do it. 2-2 1/2 weeks is actually a lot easier than newborn. They're not big enough for flea shampoo yet, so if there are fleas, get a flea comb and some dish soap. Let the soap sit for a bit on kitty's skin, so that it chokes out the fleas. Rinse, comb, and repeat if necessary.

No fleas so far. I got a pretty good look her (I think girl?), but this kitten has really thick dark fur. It's kind of hard to see down to the skin. She's on a white blanket, though, and I don't see any flea dirt. So, fingers crossed I don't find anything.

Quote from: Aster Breo;146760

One thing to keep in mind: Kittens don't know how to pee and poop on their own.  

Yep, got her to pee this morning. Hopefully poop will come later today. Hmm, hoping for poop. Never thought I'd say that!

Now I've got to rant for a minute. My nephew didn't have the full, or even correct info about these kittens. When they got here last night, he gave me the real story. Basically, momma cat has had two or three litters back to back. The people who own the property decided there were too many cats running around, so they found homes for some of them where they live (about 4 hours from here), and were bringing the rest of them here to a shelter to be rid of them.

Their grand daughter, (my nephew's girlfriend) took it upon herself to try and find homes for the rest of them through people she knew.

Yep, they took these two week old kittens away from their very much alive momma just yesterday! I can't understand why they couldn't wait at least until they were weaned! I'm so disgusted and pissed off, I don't even have the words.

She's not nursing great, but she is nursing. She won't touch the bottle, so I'm carefully using a syringe. Maybe if keep trying, once the trauma has passed she'll take the bottle. We'll see.

I feel so bad for kitty and momma. Sometimes, people really suck.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:37 am »

I can do this. Right?

Good luck. And yes, I agree the results will be worth it. When I was a little girl, I had a tortoiseshell cat that I basically had carried around like a doll since she was a newborn. She grew up thinking that I was her mommy. She was awesome.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
Quote from: Catherine;146837

Holy crap! This last week and a half has been filled with drama, and I'm pretty overwhelmed.

Willow, that's her name, has been to the vet 3 times since I got her. Last week, on Monday, she wasn't looking very good. Took her to the vet and she had a URI. They gave her antibiotics that caused diarrhea. Then they told me to give her a little yogurt with her meds, and to wait 3 days to see if that would help. It didn't.

Three days later, on Saturday, we're back at the vet. They test her for parasites, it was negative, but the sample was so small they couldn't be sure. So they gave me a three day worm treatment, and told me to stop the yogurt. They recommended pepto bismal instead. Told me to wait 48 hours. 24 hours after her first worm treatment, on Sunday, she throws up. Not a lot, and not often. Just once that day, (then once monday, and once Tuesday) but still... so I call them, they say it's normal from the worm meds and not to worry unless she can't keep anything down, is lethargic, etc. But, she still had the diarrhea.

In addition to that, since her belly started bothering her, she hadn't been eating very well. I was concerned about dehydration. So back to the vet we went just this past Monday. What a nightmare that was.

She wasn't dehydrated, she was alert and active and had even gained a bit more weight. Not acting at all like a sick kitten. Even still the vet I saw this time (there have been 3 so far, all in the same practice), refused to admit that the worm meds could be causing the vomiting and extending the diarrhea, even though when I looked this stuff up, the most common side effects were nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea!

Instead, he was trying to push me into admitting her so that they could run a bunch of tests. He was being really pushy about it, even though I asked him point blank if she was currently in danger, and if she needed to be hospitalized. He said no. It was almost like he was just curious or something. I don't know.

I decided to take a less aggressive approach. I told him I thought it was too soon for that, and that I'd rather keep a close eye on her and give her a minute to clear all of these meds from her system. If she got worse, I'd bring her back. He seemed very disappointed, but prescribed yet another med that's supposed to help with diarrhea. The catch? it has to be compounded specifically for her size. So, I had to find a place to do that and I won't even have that medication till tomorrow.

That was on Monday. Since then her eating has picked up, she hasn't vomited since about 6am yesterday, but does still have the runs. Other than that, she's really pretty ok. She very active and alert. She's gaining weight, playing and trying to explore her world. I think once the diarrhea is under control, she'll be fine.

Now, I have to think of affordable containment solutions so that I can keep her isolated from Lilah until she's had her FIV and FeLV tests. It's already getting harder to keep them apart and she's only 4 weeks old! Mostly because Lilah wants into the bedroom, and I can't keep Willow in the carrier all of the time. So there's a lot of scratching at the door and crying going on. But, I'll work it out.

Speaking of, I found out that the FIV vaccine isn't 100% effective. I never knew that. I was told that if she is FIV positive, I'll have to find her another home. Just thinking about giving her up makes me want to cry. But I'm trying not to think about that very much.

So yeah, that's my life right now. Having such a young kitten is a lot like having a human baby. I'm completely sleep deprived, barely finding time to shower and brush my teeth, and struggling to keep up with the house and the baby at the same time. Max can't really help much because he's working all the time, so I'm exhausted. Needless to say, I'm probably not going to be around here much until she's a little bit bigger.

I will post a pic as soon as can get a good one of her. She's adorable!

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:59:42 am »
Quote from: Catherine;147523

You said she came from a farm right? It's really not uncommon at all for feral or feral-born cats to be reacting to the food in a way like that (although it doesn't explain her other issues, and I am glad she is slowly moving past them!); one of the obvious ways to notice if something is off about your cat is actually their poop and pooping habits, along with peeing habits (which is something to watch if you feel she is acting oddly in the future about using the litter box, if she may be prone to UTIs? trust your gut instinct cause that's what I had to do when I noticed Domino starting to go very often, and then found out he was beginning to develop issues and was having blood in his urine). I mean, I really can't say this is 100% proven, but from what I've gathered from other pet owners and my own experience, is that when cats are in new environments, have a lot of stress, or even switch food, they'll have diarrhea. A combination of all three is... pretty stressful on a cat, probably especially a baby cat.

I know when I brought Domino home it took a while for him to adjust to a domestic cat diet. Even today his poop is rather um smelly, but otherwise he is a completely healthy cat!

The thing about FIV and FeLV vaccines is that yeah, it is not 100%; even human vaccines aren't all like that. It's a precautionary measure for both outdoor and indoor cats, and to help prevent transmission and to keep infected populations at a minimum (Wikipedia is throwing numbers at me that FIV is 4-5%, FeLV is .5% persistent infection, but I can't confirm those sources). With FeLV f'ex, there are definitely cases of cats becoming infected and then fighting it off and NOT becoming carriers.

There are some people who have raised FIV cats with non-FIV cats, although I see it not recommended because there is the risk of transmission, but it does require significant blood or saliva transfer, so if the household is calm it's not usually an issue. But cats are animals, and we can't predict what they're going to do. Personally, I would be worried about having a FIV or FeLV cat in my home with a non-positive cat, but I also know there are shelters out there who do maintain FIV rooms or have FIV/FeLV foster homes, so IF it becomes a problem (and that's a big if, since I'm also reading now that there is less infection rates for rural cats due to less population density), you might try finding resources like that in your area? But I think that's really down the road and unlikely, but wanted to offer that just because she may test positive doesn't mean she can't go somewhere where her needs will be met and be just as loved just because you don't have the room to take care of her.

You seem like a really responsible cat mom and are trying your hardest for her, and that makes all the difference in the world. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 11:01:29 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;147652
You said she came from a farm right? It's really not uncommon at all for feral or feral-born cats to be reacting to the food in a way like that (although it doesn't explain her other issues, and I am glad she is slowly moving past them!); one of the obvious ways to notice if something is off about your cat is actually their poop and pooping habits, along with peeing habits (which is something to watch if you feel she is acting oddly in the future about using the litter box, if she may be prone to UTIs? trust your gut instinct cause that's what I had to do when I noticed Domino starting to go very often, and then found out he was beginning to develop issues and was having blood in his urine). I mean, I really can't say this is 100% proven, but from what I've gathered from other pet owners and my own experience, is that when cats are in new environments, have a lot of stress, or even switch food, they'll have diarrhea. A combination of all three is... pretty stressful on a cat, probably especially a baby cat.

I know when I brought Domino home it took a while for him to adjust to a domestic cat diet. Even today his poop is rather um smelly, but otherwise he is a completely healthy cat!

She's doing much better. No more vomiting, she's eating about 4oz a day, and she's consistently gaining weight. We're still having poop issues, she's hardly going at all.  I did start her new medication on Thursday, and called the vet yesterday. They said that as long as everything else is normal, she's probably just playing catch up. Give her a few days for her system to adjust.

She took to the litter box right away. Now we're working on formula from a saucer so that she can get used to eating on her own. She doesn't want any parts of it, but I keep trying a few times a day.

There are some people who have raised FIV cats with non-FIV cats, although I see it not recommended because there is the risk of transmission, but it does require significant blood or saliva transfer, so if the household is calm it's not usually an issue. But cats are animals, and we can't predict what they're going to do. Personally, I would be worried about having a FIV or FeLV cat in my home with a non-positive cat, but I also know there are shelters out there who do maintain FIV rooms or have FIV/FeLV foster homes, so IF it becomes a problem (and that's a big if, since I'm also reading now that there is less infection rates for rural cats due to less population density), you might try finding resources like that in your area? But I think that's really down the road and unlikely, but wanted to offer that just because she may test positive doesn't mean she can't go somewhere where her needs will be met and be just as loved just because you don't have the room to take care of her.

Yeah, I've been trying to read up on these viruses. From what I'm reading about FIV, it seems to be considered rare for kittens to get it from their mommas, as well as what you said about rural populations. There's seems to be some controversy about when to test. I have to wait long enough that she would have developed her own antibodies if she were infected for a reliable negative. I think it was the ASPCA site that said 1-3 months old. But even if she does test positive, she could have her mother's antibodies in her system up to 6 months old. So, I think I'll wait till she's 3 months for her first tests. If they're negative, we should be good. If they're not, then I'll wait till she's 6 months and re-test.

The vet said that FeLV is less of a concern because the vaccine for that is more reliable. I haven't researched far enough to form my opinion on that. In any case, I think more discussions with the vet about both viruses are in order.

In the mean time, I think I may have come up with workable plan for keeping them apart, at least for a while. Feel free to poke holes in it and point out anything I might not have thought of. I really do want to keep both cats safe, so any input anyone has will be appreciated.

My apartment, though not huge, is really laid out well for this. It's pretty much cut in half. Living room, dining room kitchen in the front half. Bedrooms and bathroom in the back half. When this place was built, there was a door separating the two spaces. The old door is gone, but I'm going to put up screen door in it's place.

In addition to that, I've ordered a kitty play pen. It's big. 3ft long x 2ft wide x 4 1/2ft tall. It has three platforms to climb on. She's still a little small for it, but she's growing fast!

So, when she's big enough, Willow can run the back part of the house, Lilah can have the front and they can still see and smell each other through the screen door. They can get to know each other, safely, in case I can eventually put them together. Lilah will get to be in the bedroom sometimes, because Willow can go in the pen when it's necessary. Plus, since Willow is such tiny one, I'd like to have a safe place to put her where she can play unsupervised while I do things around the house, or run to the store, or whatever.

If I do have to re-home Willow, I will. But I'm going to be as sure as I can be before I do that.

You seem like a really responsible cat mom and are trying your hardest for her, and that makes all the difference in the world. :)

Thank you. :)

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:24:45 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;147747
She's doing much better. No more vomiting, she's eating about 4oz a day, and she's consistently gaining weight. We're still having poop issues, she's hardly going at all.  I did start her new medication on Thursday, and called the vet yesterday. They said that as long as everything else is normal, she's probably just playing catch up. Give her a few days for her system to adjust.

She took to the litter box right away. Now we're working on formula from a saucer so that she can get used to eating on her own. She doesn't want any parts of it, but I keep trying a few times a day.

Thank you. :)

Hooray for improving health!

Regarding the formula, have you tried coaxing her by dipping a fingertip in the formula and offering it to her? (With the saucer right there, of course.) If she'll lick formula from a finger, you could gradually lead her directly to the saucer. (If you're already trying this, keep going! Usually they'll eventually get the idea.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;147773
Hooray for improving health!

Regarding the formula, have you tried coaxing her by dipping a fingertip in the formula and offering it to her? (With the saucer right there, of course.) If she'll lick formula from a finger, you could gradually lead her directly to the saucer. (If you're already trying this, keep going! Usually they'll eventually get the idea.)

Yep every feeding. I think she already knows what to do, she took a few licks yesterday. She's just doesn't want to do it.

It looks like her poop issues are resolving. She was much better this afternoon. And, I promised a pic, so here it is.

[/URL][/IMG]

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:46:34 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;147793
Yep every feeding. I think she already knows what to do, she took a few licks yesterday. She's just doesn't want to do it.

It looks like her poop issues are resolving. She was much better this afternoon. And, I promised a pic, so here it is.

Oh my gosh...Willow is achingly adorable.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »
And, I promised a pic, so here it is.

D'AWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 08:01:29 pm »

[/URL][/IMG]

I am DED OF KYOOT. She's BEAUTIFUL. Squeeeeeee!
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »

Oh noes that face. D: Its too adorable for me to go on!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:18 am »
Quote from: Allaya;147801
Oh my gosh...Willow is achingly adorable.

Quote from: SunflowerP;147833
D'AWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunflower

Quote from: stephyjh;147834
I am DED OF KYOOT. She's BEAUTIFUL. Squeeeeeee!

Quote from: Nyktipolos;147836
Oh noes that face. D: Its too adorable for me to go on!

I know, right?! However, don't be deceived by those big kitten eyes. She's a fierce, dangerous predator! No hands or feet are safe from her nibbles, and she's decided that remote controls are a menace that must be destroyed!

Seriously, I wish my phone took video. She's started doing that sideways hop thing... it's hilarious!

Tags: