Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Author Topic: Role Call  (Read 15332 times)

Chakabe

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Role Call
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:54 pm »
I do not know if I have the authority to make this thread but I am going to. If it gets stickied or deleted them so mote it be.

Either way going on the premise of the old role call this is the introduction thread.

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky (on the old forum's post found here for anyone who wants to look it over?!)

My post:
I'm 20.
I still live at home.
My house is centered in a 20 acre lot with surrounding woods and a clearing in the woods.
Onto the real reason I am here:
I came across the idea of druidry not a long time ago (6 months?!) First I wanted to learn witchcraft the from witchcraft I started studying herbs and so on (Did not get far...yet) But over this whole span of time something started pulling at me, you know...something told me that I needed to know more...that there was a great wealth of knowledge rooted in the very soil I stood on. Something Called. It was like the feeling of having someone pull the strings of your heart in a good way.

TO this day I still have that feeling but something is telling me to seek out druidry as not just a philosophy but a faith. Coupled with witchcraft I think it could become a great thing for my self and the people around me...is that not what druidry is about. Helping in any way possible?

So that is the basics, Merry meet :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:28:14 pm by Chakabe »
InnerWalden <-- New site  
"In the parlor there were three. He, the parlor lamp, and she. Two is a party but three is a crowd so the parlor lamp went out."

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:25:46 am »
Quote from: Chakabe;557
I do not know if I have the authority to make this thread but I am going to. If it gets stickied or deleted them so mote it be.

Either way going on the premise of the old role call this is the introduction thread.

"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky (on the old forum's post found here for anyone who wants to look it over?!)

I'm 27, a firstish gen American (my Father is English, my mother was American but her dad was Canadian). I'm currently a full time student and a founding partner of Creator's Edge Press.

I'm a member of both ADF (www.adf.org) (Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship) and OBOD http://www.druidry.org/ (The Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids).

I absolutely appreciate ADF's dedication to scholarship (how many religious organizations have a course in critical thinking as part of their training?) and I find that while OBOD is bit more esoteric and absolutely draws freely from the Romantics and Revivalist Druidry (it wouldn't be too hard/off the mark to accuse some members of fluffy tendencies) they're oddly complimentary.

For a more in depth compare/contrast of the two organizations there is an excellent article here: http://www.adf.org/about/basics/adf-and-obod.html ADF and OBOD by John Michael Greer (a member of both orgs).

Personally I see Druidry as a way to combine my academic studies, current worldview, and moral responsibility with a vibrant faith.

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
Re: Role Call
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 09:18:31 am »

Hello, again, everyone! I'll try to keep my post way shorter this time.

I'm Ali, I'm 28, I live in Pittsburgh with my partner, my cat and our garden (we have SQUASH!). For a day job, I work in English transcription and audio data processing; but the vast majority of my time is spent building my career as a writer and author.

I belong to the Druid Order of the Three Realms (DOTR) and officially to AODA (though they've stopped answering my calls ;)) - so my leanings are somewhat more towards what's known as "Revival Druidry," though American Revival Druidry has enough CR influence in it these days that I consider it on par (though different from) the Neo-Druidry of groups like ADF. Though I don't belong to ADF as a member, they're the most active Druid group in our area, so we attend their public rituals for holy days and we're hoping to make it to some of their monthly discussion groups when our schedule allows.

My interest in Druidry... hmm... I consider Druidry to be my main spiritual path, and it's most definitely a religion to me and not just a philosophy or way of life. I've always been fascinated and drawn by the more mystic aspects of religion, and Druidry allows me to put poetry and nature, two things that have sustained me since before I can remember, at the very heart of my spiritual life. So... that's good. :)

--Ali

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:47:13 am »
"Let us know a little about you, your path, and your interest in Neo-druidry!" - Collinsky

Hello again one and all - Ellen M. here. (Just to reiterate - calling me Sage or Ellen, either way, is up to you. I'm trying to get used to the name Sage to see if it fits for me, but I also know everyone and their dog changed their name with the forum switchover, so no worries. :))

My interest in Druidry was prompted by my previous college's Pagan group, which approached their "pan-Pagan practice" from a Dianic-ish Wiccan practice. A poorly constructed Dianic-ish Wiccan practice. (It's a long story, and I hear the group is better now under new management.) At the time I was looking for something else to hold onto and felt that most recon groups were out of my league. I wasn't quite at the point where I could think about structuring my own path, but I had a deep affinity with the Theoi (Athena and Dionysus in particular), and it was ADF Druidry that caught my eye.

For those unfamiliar with ADF, they're an Indo-European focused group. The idea is that there were enough cultural and religion similarities throughout the IE cultures (the Celts, Romans, Greeks, Norse, Baltics, Slavics, Vedics) that there could be a loose ritual structure and theology used to work with each of them. While the language of ADF (Druidry, groves, etc) and most of the members were of an Irish or Welsh bent, there was enough on "Hellenic Druidry" to leave me interested. I did a few experimental rituals, the most memorable being Ostara 2010 - memorable because a visiting lacrosse team walked in on me halfway through, leading to me having to abandon it all - and finally joined the group last July. Almost exactly a year ago, in fact! (Crap. Must renew membership.)

Though I started with full intention to continue my relationship with the Theoi, I ended up drifting away from a Greek perspective. (Part of this was my painful transfer from Bryn Mawr, which is a huge player in classical studies and has Athena as the school's patron goddess. "Greek life" had a whole different meaning there.) I had vague interest in Manannan and Danu but hadn't really felt like any of the Celtic gods paid any attention to me. And I was tired of the wonderfully enlightened ethnic comments such as "Isn't your last name Scottish? What on earth do you want to talk to Dionysus for?" (Strangely, the exact same phrasing was applied to ask why I as a female-bodied individual would want anything to do with a deity possessing a penis. The bastion of liberal, feminist education, everyone.)

I do remember walking across the green one day and getting a... visit from who I believe to be Manannan. I've always loved pre-stormy weather when the sky is cloudy and it's cool and windy, and there are just a few drops of rain starting to fall. It's always made me feel safe, which is what I didn't feel for most of my Bryn Mawr career. I did a bit of research and discovered this site and concluded that Manannan was A Pretty Cool Dude and worth approaching. However, at the time I was heavily depressed and didn't know it, going without therapy or medication. There is a HUGE difference between medicated and nonmedicated Ellen's spirituality. I felt an interest on my end, but was pretty much incapable of feeling (or noticing) anything in return.

Fastforward to last November. I was on drugs (yay!), in therapy, in a new environment that was about 20% cooler and 100% less stressful. The Lady of the Stars phenomenon happened*, and it is completely and totally Aster Breo's fault for introducing me to Brighid. :) Brighid is awesome. *points to religious descriptor under name and avatar that says "follower of Brighid* She was my thwapping experience - not so much as "YOU'RE MINE" but "I'm here." I owe a lot to her.

So yeah. That's how I went from Hellenic-inspired Druid to primarily being a Celtic Pagan. The end. :D

* - gosh, I'm sorry this intro is already super long. Back in November, several TC members came to know and work with an astral deity independently of each other. We started talking and moved eventually to a private SIG where we worked with this Lady. It was perhaps the strongest feeling of serendipity or divine grace I've ever encountered, and though the LotS group has undergone some changes since then I still have warm fuzzies for the entire thing. Anyway. Some members believed that the Lady and Brighid were the same. Some believed that the title "Lady of the Stars" was applicable to several deities (the most popular alternative to Brighid being Nut). I prefer using the term "Starsmith" for Brighid now because I think LotS can act as a title, but... neither here nor there! Oh my gosh rambling!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:47:54 am by Sage »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:28:41 pm »

I'm Morag, I'm 24, and I am and always will be a Witch, first and foremost. I'm working on becoming a Druidic Witch and no I have no idea what that means. I've been involved in Neo-Wicca, Reclaiming, and Feri witchcraft, and I'm fairly Celtic in belief right now. I'm also a member of the Lady of the Stars group epiphany thing and that's re-informing my religious beliefs.

I'm in a transition stage, basically, and I'm part of ADF as a sort of structure to cling to while I re-work everything out.

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, BOOM. GODS HAPPEN.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:30:40 pm »
Quote from: Morag;758

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, BOOM. GODS HAPPEN.

I think that needs to be the official TC shirt. Lalala walking along sudden religious epiphany time I don't even.
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Sage;760
I think that needs to be the official TC shirt. Lalala walking along sudden religious epiphany time I don't even.

Like a cosmic frying pan to the face.

(Also I would totally wear that shirt.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »
Quote from: Morag;788

Seconded! How can we make this happen? (Seriously - fundraiser for TC, maybe? That'd be just so freaking cool!)

--Ali

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:23:58 pm »
Quote from: Morag;788
Like a cosmic frying pan to the face.

Cafepress maybe?

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »
Quote from: Asch;817
Cafepress maybe?

Cafepress is pretty good. I've also heard good things about Zazzle.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:26:30 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;809
Seconded! How can we make this happen? (Seriously - fundraiser for TC, maybe? That'd be just so freaking cool!)

--Ali

I would actually love to support TC with merch. Pagan snark ahoy!
I shall endure.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:41 pm »
Quote from: Morag;877
Cafepress is pretty good. I've also heard good things about Zazzle.

I haven't had good luck with Zazzle shirts, the dyes fade REALLY fast.

Arynn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:13:19 pm »

Hi again! I'm Arynn! And I just realized TC moved! ^^;;

Anyway, I recently became an ADF dedicant about...hmm 3ish months ago now, and I'm loving it :) ADF really speaks to me, and I'm happy to have found them. I've been a Pagan for about a year so far, but it took me a little while to find a specific path that felt right...I've tried a lot of different things, but kept coming back to some of the core concepts that ADF believes in/follows: a love of the Wheel of the Year holidays, a reverence for and love of nature, respect for our ancestors, the spirits around us, and the Gods (so, the Three Kindreds concept), a systematic/organized (yet very easily adapted to personal preference) ritual system, a focus on Indo-European pantheons, etc.

Despite ADF being the best fit for me right now, and my confidence that it will stick with me for a very long time, I'm still a newcomer to Neo-Druidry/Druidry in general, and I'm still learning a lot. That's why I'm so happy to be a part of TC and a part of this SIG! I'm still learning about my preferences and what will work best for me within ADF and within Neo-Druidry (what Hearth culture will work best for me, what Pantheon will work best for me, whether or not I have any specific Patrons, etc.). I had a relationship with the Goddess Persephone for a time, but that has dwindled a bit, though I can still feel Her out there, and watching over me.

Anyway, nice to meet you! :)

(If interested, I have an ADF-specific blog and a more general spiritual blog, both of which will show up in my "signature"...)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
Quote from: Asch;924
I haven't had good luck with Zazzle shirts, the dyes fade REALLY fast.

Good to know.

Cafepress would probably be the best bet then.

I volunteer to run the store, if Randall is cool with this idea.

/OT
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »
Quote from: Morag;1112
I volunteer to run the store, if Randall is cool with this idea.

/OT

I second the motion. ;D
I shall endure.

Tags: